Friction folder carry

Hi all,

I just got my first friction folder and am wondering if carrying it in a pocket is safe.
The knife is small (3.34" closed) and clipless. The friction is quite strong to me.

Still, is it safe to just have it in a pocket? What are other carrying options?
Appreciate opinions from friction users.

By friction folder do you mean slip joint? Or do you mean friction folder like a Higonokami or a Svord Peasant? In those two there is no backspring.

Obviously most backspring having slip joints are fine to ride in your pocket.

The friction folder are literally just that. Friction is all that is acting on the blade to keep it open or closed. (Dropfree friction folder anyone?) i keep my Higo loose in my pocket and it has abit of a loose blade and is stupidly sharp. So far it hasn't opened. I'm sure it could, but it hasn't. I don't know if I am just getting lucky but probably it is partly because my Higo is laying flat at the bottom of my pocket.

I often carry my higo when I have say my Street Beat concealed. This way I don't have to whip out the huge and scawey S. Beat to do little cutting tasks.

Anyway enough pointless ranting. If you carry a friction folder in your pocket just remember that you are and be a little cautious sticking your hand in there. Especially if they are fairly tight it will be no problemo.

Last edited:
I carried a friction folder for a few weeks, right front pocket along with my wallet and chapstick. The friction kept it closed just fine, and I never had any issues.

You can always buy a leather pocket slip to carry it in, if you like.

I carry clipless folders in these: http://www.houstongunholster.com/product/chmp-concealed-multi-use-eco-leather-holster. They make 6 different sizes. They're made for IWB pistol magazine carry, but they work awesomely with a variety of knives clipped inside the front pocket of a pair of jeans, and the clip is strong enough that you won't pull the pouch out of your pocket with the knife. If your friction folder is as difficult to open as you say, there's probably little chance of an accidental pocket opening, but something like this will give you some added piece of mind.

I carry clipless folders in these: http://www.houstongunholster.com/product/chmp-concealed-multi-use-eco-leather-holster. They make 6 different sizes. They're made for IWB pistol magazine carry, but they work awesomely with a variety of knives clipped inside the front pocket of a pair of jeans, and the clip is strong enough that you won't pull the pouch out of your pocket with the knife. If your friction folder is as difficult to open as you say, there's probably little chance of an accidental pocket opening, but something like this will give you some added piece of mind.

Thanks!
I will definitely keep it as an option in mind.

By the way, what is the typical or ideal tightness for a friction folder? I think it is tight but not as tight as my GEC #73. Not even close.

I'm far from a friction folder expert, but I have several Svord Peasants, and I keep them tight enough that they require firm force on the tang to open, but not so much that they can't be opened one handed. Basically I tighten them till I can't open them with one hand, then I slowly back the pivot screw off until I can, but no more than that.

Thank you, G. Scott H. G. Scott H.
I guess mine is as tight as yours. I could not open it one-hand, but after a little break-in period, I can now.

That's the problem with carrying that style of knife w/o a sheath. It will "break in" and it will take less and less force to open it. I bought one from David Goldberg. The knife was inexpensive, but with each one he gave a cheap nylon Velcro sheath that you could put on your belt or use for carry in the pocket. I believe in some parts of the world they are not really for pocket carry. Mine is pinned pivot like yours and just yesterday I had to give the pin a tap or two to tighten it...just for ease of use, not to keep it closed. I need to do that every couple of years. For pocket carry I made a deerskin slip case for it so it fits good.

For those with a pocket clip it's still not really safe; I've had liner locks with poor detents open before and this style of knife doesn't even have that.

Hate to see you hurt.

Pocket should be fine. If you really want something, look at Case suede slips. They come in three sizes - cheap. Snip off the top if the tang sticks out.

I carry my Opinel in my pocket, no problems.
If you are worried about it opening in your pocket, the least expensive "fix" is a rubber band. :)

I just received a Kansei Matsuno friction folder and the pivot is way too loose for me to consider carrying it naked and it's pinned so there's no way to tighten it up. Fortunately it came with a slim leather sheath for pocket carry. Even if it had a tighter pivot I would be hesitant to carry it loose in my pocket.

If it is thin enough, upright next to my wallet. If it is not I make a leather pouch sheath for it.

I have not had one open on me yet, but I am not willing to tempt my luck.

I've carried friction folders for many years with no problems. many of those tiemsit was my sole etc, and they cut everything I needed. Yes, in time they will get a little loose, then you just give the pivot a tap with a hammer while on a vise or another hammer head and its snug again. No problem.

Top to bottom, Opinel, Japanese Higonokami, and a Sardinian resolza. All are wicked slicers and dicers! None has ever opened in a pocket. All, once you use them and get used totem, are prime examples of just what you don't need in a pocket knife.

Hi all,

I just got my first friction folder and am wondering if carrying it in a pocket is safe.
The knife is small (3.34" closed) and clipless. The friction is quite strong to me.

Still, is it safe to just have it in a pocket? What are other carrying options?
Appreciate opinions from friction users.

Looks like it might fit in the watch pocket of your jeans. That's one way to stay safe. Ask the maker how it might be tightened, if necessary. Enjoy!

Zieg

Thanks, guys!
I am glad to learn that I can tighten the pivot if necessary by just hammering the pin.
Also, suede slips sounds nice. I should get one of those.
In the mean time, I will just carry it at the bottom of my right front pocket and will try to fit it into the watch (or coin?) pocket of my jeans, when I give up my shorts.

Thanks, guys!
I am glad to learn that I can tighten the pivot if necessary by just hammering the pin.
Also, suede slips sounds nice. I should get one of those.
In the mean time, I will just carry it at the bottom of my right front pocket and will try to fit it into the watch (or coin?) pocket of my jeans, when I give up my shorts.

No, no, no! No hammering, just a light to medium tapping on the pivot. Tap a few times then try. If not tight enough, a couple more taps. No hammering. Easy does it.

I've snugged up my friction folders like that, and it doesn't take much.

Oh, OK. Good to know.
I thought I need a relatively strong force to make the pin shorter.
I don't think I will do it anytime soon, but will start from gentle tapping when the time comes.
Thank you!

Yep. It does fit in the watch/coon pocket. Hopefully, it won’t jump out of it easily.

Back