FRIEDRICH DICK PLASTIC HANDLED KNIVES vs DEXTER SANI-SAFE KNIVES

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a set of hunting knives to butcher game.

For you guys who have owned both FRIEDRICH DICK PLASTIC HANDLED KNIVES & DEXTER SANI-SAFE KNIVES, can you tell which is your favorite and why they are your favorite?

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff, Sorry I didn’t see your post sooner, you’re talking about post-skinning butchering, I’m assuming. Yes, I hunt, mostly deer and pigs, and do my own butchering. For blade shapes I mostly use a 5” straight flexible boning knife from R.H. Forschner/Victorinox with their black Fibrox handle, item #806F-5 (new #40512), any 5”-6” boning knife will let you quarter them out, but the flexible boner lets you get in tight against the spine when cutting & pulling the fillets out; I prefer a 5” boning knife for deer and pigs and maybe something longer for parting quarters into smaller portions for wrapping, but it’s not necessary, I use a 10” Wusthof Classic chef’s. If you’re hunting elk, moose, bear then step up to a 6” boning knife and you will want that 10” knife for portioning. You’re going to need a meat & bone saw for cutting the rack off the skull after cutting the head off and for the forelegs, branch pruning shears w/a curved knife work quick on the forelegs.

Here’s the skinny on the handles, they’re both overmold handles, the Dexter Sani-Safe material is hard white plastic, the F. Dick’s ExpertGrip 2K overmolded handle is a hard rubber material that is tactile (sticky); F. Dick ExpertGrip 2K is smoother and less textured than the Dexter Sani-Safe overmold. My experience and opinion with both is that the F. Dick rubber overmold handle is better for gloved hands and the Dexter plastic overmold handle is better for non-gloved hands.

The F. Dick stamped steel is superior in edge retention to Dexter’s stamped product, IMO.

Lastly, I use the Forschner 806F-5 because I got it for free when I was a Forschner sales rep and never thought about getting another boning knife from F. Dick for my personal use when I was later a F. Dick sales rep., I wouldn’t call it my favorite, just the one I’ve used a lot.

KR

Last edited:
Back