FRN Stretch 2 in zdp-189

91bravo

Gold Member
Anyone have one of these yet? I have one arriving tomorrow and was wondering if anybody else has theirs yet and how different it is from the last model Stretch. I love the Stretch and can't for it to get here! Pics would be nice too!

No but I want to know what you think of it because I'm considering getting one. Curious how the small changes to the handle will influence the ergonomics, which were almost perfect on the old one.

The old one had that little nub on the back bottom side of the handle that didn't quite fit my pinky just right. We'll see how it fits when it gets here tomorrow. I'll post up some pics and first initial impressions.

Can't wait to get my hands on one! The ergos on the g10 version are great as far as I'm concerned. I expect the wider FRN handle will be quite nice!

I have the G10 Stretch2 and have a few of the Stretch1s. They are more similar than different. I have average large hands. I wear a large work glove, size 9. For me the Stretch1 fits perfect bare handed and the Stretch2 fits perfect with gloves on. The dragged back pinky horn on the Stretch2 should accommodate more hands of different sizes and should be an improvement for those with larger hands. I plan on picking up an frn Stretch2 at some point but for right now I am focused on other knives.

I got them in today and I must say that I really like it! I bought two, one for me and one for my wife, but she doesn't like the blade shape, so it's for sale in the classifieds. I'm gonna hang on to mine for a bit and see how it compares to my other EDC blades!

rf9zz4l.jpg

2UzlnKw.jpg

cWnh1Y5.jpg

DKMZDiL.jpg

Going to pick up a zdp Stretch 2 soon. They look a lot bigger than the 1 in pics.

Finally! Just pre-ordered one in ZDP-189, and one in VG-10! I've been waiting for this knife to drop ever since I grabbed the G-10 version. Love me some Stretch greatness! :D Looking forward to putting them to use!

Mine arrived yesterday from NGK. Shown here with the earlier version...

FRN%20Stretch%202_003.JPG

FRN%20Stretch%202_007.JPG

...this one's just to keep my Stretch collection complete, I'll wait for the VG-10 version to get one for the collection and at least one to carry.

I am a huge Stretch fan. I'm also a huge G10 fan. Up to now I've always prefered G10 to FRN.

The G10 Stretch 2 was a disappointment to me. The handle doesn't fit my hand as well as the FRN Stretch. I just received my FRN Stretch 2 yesterday. The fit in my hand is much better than the G10 Stretch 2 or FRN Stretch. Being how I prefer G10 to FRN I'm surprised that I like the FRN Stretch 2 much better than the G10 Stretch 2. I'd have to rank them this way as far as fit:

1) FRN Stretch 2
2) FRN Stretch
3) G10 Stretch 2

A complete surprise to me.

I prefer then thinner tip of the Stretch but I like the taller handle of the Stretch 2.

Now just bring on a Stretch 2 in HAP40!

Last edited:
I got them in today and I must say that I really like it! I bought two, one for me and one for my wife, but she doesn't like the blade shape, so it's for sale in the classifieds. I'm gonna hang on to mine for a bit and see how it compares to my other EDC blades!

rf9zz4l.jpg

2UzlnKw.jpg

cWnh1Y5.jpg

DKMZDiL.jpg

How do you like it compared to the Manix 2?

How do you like it compared to the Manix 2?

I like em both in different ways I guess. The new stretch 2 feels taller in hand. I'm not sure on making the ricasso on the blade bigger than was on the previous stretch though. I like my edges as close to my fingers as possilbe. If I had to choose between the 2, it would be the Manix I'd keep. I'm just glad I don't have to choose!

I like. Was hard not to buy a ZDP version....but im pre ordered for a VG10 version to match my endura and delica. Just curious how much longer the wait is.

I like. Was hard not to buy a ZDP version....but im pre ordered for a VG10 version to match my endura and delica. Just curious how much longer the wait is.
VG-10 version is now on the Spyderco website and at least one B&M dealer already has it, so I'd imagine they'll start popping up at all the internet dealers in a few days. :)

Picked up the ZDP stretch 2 at blade HQ yesterday, and after I felt it in hand I was basically sold. Best fit and finish of any FRN spyderco that I have held to date. The ergos to me are a big improvement to the stretch 1.

I just ordered one in VG10 the other day.
I love the look of the blade on this knife, I can't see what turns some folks off about the blade shape.
Manix 2, Paramilitary, and Delica 4 are the other knives I own.. I'm really enjoying these for sure!
My Delica is my first for FRN, and I really like this handle material.. I'm very happy about the
Stretch 2 having FRN handles as well.

Had a nice surprise waiting for me after work! Here they are with the G-10 version for a nice Stretch 2 family photo!

Really loving these blades!

I still prefer the original FRN Stretch blade to the new blade. I need to keep an eye out for the original ZDP Stretch. I had a blue FRN ZDP Stretch I never should have sold. :)

Back