1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

FRN Stretch 2 in zdp-189

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by 91bravo, Mar 28, 2017.

1. hank_612

hank_612

Jan 13, 2010
    I am going to buy 2 vg10 stretch 2s tomorrow. One for a nephew and one for me to try out. I love a stretch and I love good choils. Vg10 is also my favorite EDC steel.

2. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    ^^^ :thumbup: Sounds like your nephew has a pretty cool uncle! :cool: Hope you both like them!

3. hank_612

hank_612

Jan 13, 2010
    The stretch 2 is much taller and feels very different. The choil is an improvement for me but the taller grip is not. I will have to use the blade a while to decide whether I like it but I am pretty sure the stretch 1 is my prefrence.

4. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2017

The stretch 2 appears to be very similar at a glance to the stretch 1, but I agree with you.

When I held the 2, it felt different enough to me that I would have guessed it was a totally different knife. The 1 is probably the most comfortable knife I've ever handled, the 2 doesn't fit my hand at all.

I really, really hope they bring back the 1. Maybe produce the 1 and the 2 both.

5. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What are the major differences between the models? I always like putting aftermarket scales on my spydies... I'm assuming the older model scales don't fit the newer model?

6. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Definitely wouldn't fit, even though the changes are subtle. Deacon hat mentioned that even opening arc is different. He mentioned it on his thread over Spyderco.com forum.
    Here it is: https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=64242&start=40

7. hank_612

hank_612

Jan 13, 2010
    The stretch 2 feels like a slim dallara to me. It is taller and has a more pronounced hump in the middle of the handle.

8. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I actually like the taller blade and the taller handle. The rear pinky nub is gone and it fits me better than the Stretch 1 did.

[​IMG]

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  9. sanman28

sanman28

Jan 19, 2017
    Got my vg10 today. Suprised how big it is.....about the size of an endura, but a little taller.

10. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    You are correct. The scales from a Stretch will not work on a Stretch 2. Here's a quick shot of a Stretch scale overlaid on a Stretch 2 with the pivot and lockbar pivot holes lined up...

[​IMG]

11. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    I noticed the S2 FRN pattern doesn't go up (packed) to the raised center logo like previous one. This is one of different things we look for when checking fake Endura 4. Can anyone (Deacon?) confirm?

12. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    There are certainly some differences in the way the bi-directional texturing pattern is laid out. Mostly due, I'm sure, to the differences in size and overall layout. So yes, it appears the texture does not go all the way up to the "waist" of the dog bone shaped logo.

[​IMG]

13. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    Deacon, thanks for the great photos!

14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    They look very similar, but feel so different. I just wonder why they would put a wider ricasso on the 2. Either way, I'm liking the 2 better than the 1 anyway!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  15. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Thanks Deacon!
    Can't use that to spot fakes, but OTOH, I haven't seen any Stretch fakes yet, so far.

16. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Only ones I've seen were kind of easy to spot. :eek: :D

[​IMG]

17. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Ah yes, the Ganzo Stretch. Wondering if the steel is any good like Spyderco 8Cr.

18. Mgj48

Mgj48

Jan 13, 2015
    I also prefer the 1