From the arcane world of knifemaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find a lot of the information in this last post very enlightening.

I do want to comment, however, on the move to restrict a definition of knifemaker. I think it's a bad idea. We're doing fine, and it's obvious that the occasional need to say "this ain't it" on a case by case basis works.

Last edited:
I find a lot of the uinformatiopn in this last post very enlightening.

I do want to comment, however, on the move to restrict a definition of knifemaker. I think it's a bad idea. We're doing fine, and it's obvious that the occasional need to say "this ain't it" on a case by case basis works.

I'll defer to your knowledge and experience but still think it should be addressed at least in the forum's Mission Statement.

Re: BMK

He learned of the method of SawZall from this thread -- check the date of posting (02/23/11) he never knew about it until then.

Make your own knife from sawzall blade by w6f7
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=154680

As a retiree with 21 years, 8 months and 5 days in the military his statement that he went “to USMC OCS and then to Special Forces training, then have the privilege of serving for 16 years” doesn’t sound right, especially since he claims to be a Army reserve SF Captain. I’m sure there is some convoluted career path to make all that true, but it’s got to be an odd one.

It’s premature to call him a poser, but the knife world for some reason seems to attract that kind of disreputable behavior. Regardless of his military career statements being true or not, his attitude and decorum is seriously lacking and reflects poorly on the officer commission he says he holds.

You and Koyote read that again. I've never seen him claim to be a Reservist. He claims to be a retired SF Team Commander. One of the actual SF guys over there ran his name, and said that the only person with that name is a Capt. in the Reserves. And, he's not SF, just regular infantry.

There are Reserve and National Guard SF Teams.... 19th SFG is Reserve and 20th SFGA is National Guard, there used to be 11th and 12th but they were closed down with most state NG HQs or MACOMs getting a non MTOE SOF cell.

There was/is a convoluted path in the Reserve/National Guard SF qualification that a lot of troops take to earn their tab at a faster pace than their AD counterparts.

There is a difference between being SF and being "in SF". Being SF means you're a member of the Regiment, being in SF means that you're in an SFGA. He could be in SF as an INF CPT by being the NBC ossifer at a BN or GRP lvl. Being SF and a TM CDR means he's stating he's a member of the Regiment.

The solution is easy enough. Go to the Decade Association and have his name run through there.

There are Reserve and National Guard SF Teams.... 19th SFG is Reserve and 20th SFGA is National Guard, there used to be 11th and 12th but they were closed down with most state NG HQs or MACOMs getting a non MTOE SOF cell.

There was/is a convoluted path in the Reserve/National Guard SF qualification that a lot of troops take to earn their tab at a faster pace than their AD counterparts.

There is a difference between being SF and being "in SF". Being SF means you're a member of the Regiment, being in SF means that you're in an SFGA. He could be in SF as an INF CPT by being the NBC ossifer at a BN or GRP lvl. Being SF and a TM CDR means he's stating he's a member of the Regiment.

The solution is easy enough. Go to the Decade Association and have his name run through there.

Could you please put that in English for those of us that didn't serve?:confused:

Could you please put that in English for those of us that didn't serve?:confused:

Sorry 'bout that.... civilian version in bold ;)

Originally Posted by Will Leavitt View Post

There are 2 non-active duty Special Forces Groups. 19th and 20th Special Forces Groups (SFGA). The other 2 SF Groups that closed were 11th and 12th SF Groups. They took the personnel that didn't transfer to 19th or 20th and formed small Special Operations Forces units in most state's National Guard Headquarters or Reserve Major Commands.

Non-MTOE means that the unit isn't technically authorized the cell under their Modified Table of Organization and Equipment. Little further education, almost every unit in the military has a TOE or a MTOE, this document is what allocates your personnel structure (paragraph and line number) and equipment allowed..... For instance, you're an Infantry Platoon Leader, you're paragraph and line number is usually 102-01 meaning platoon leader, can't remember the numbers for weapons but it would read (107) qty 120 M-4 5.56mm automatic rifle.

There was a training exemption made for the requirements to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course made for National Guard and Reservists. I'm not sure if this path is still open, big Army hated the Soldiers in this program. You were able to go straight from enlistment to SF school without any experience. The units were tasked with very stringent gate keeping on this program. For the most part they were successful in getting good troops into the program. A lot of guys would actually go active duty at graduation so big Army saved some money on getting a Special forces qualified trooper.

Very few people in a SF Group are actually SF qualified. There are a lot of people required to support the trooper on the ground. You could be in a SF Group and never go near the SF School, tip of the spear.... tip of the spear. He could've been an Infantry Captain in an SF Group and not been SF qualified. They usually use someone like that at one of the boring staff jobs. If someone claims to be a SF Team Commander then they are claiming to be SF Qualified.

This thread really does not have a home. I thought about moving it several places and also had some good suggestions.

Rather than create a problem let's just close it and let it fade away.
This forum is pretty special. It is a place where makers come gather and trade ideas and obtain advice. Let's do what we can to nourish that exchange.

If someone want it open, send me a P.M. with valid reasons and we can decide from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back