Frontier Offerings

He's officially on my blacklist. He tried to get me to drag a jeep wagoneer home for him the other day, fully aware it meant getting shot by some old Carolina farmer. And he's been posting Instagram pics all day from Dallas - just tempting me with every post.

We're not friends.

Gotta go. Allen just posted on Instagram...hahahahaha

Sounds more like brothers to me[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good looking glamour shots of the Frontier Line. Are these knives functional though, or just visually pleasant? Can the mid-sized knives perform in the kitchen or out in the woods? I haven't seen any in action.

Lots of good looking glamour shots of the Frontier Line. Are these knives functional though, or just visually pleasant? Can the mid-sized knives perform in the kitchen or out in the woods? I haven't seen any in action.

I have no doubt that any of Allen's Frontier offerings would perform if need be. That said, I haven't used any of mine and prefer not to for the simple reason that I have a good deal more knives to choose from. My latest the Tatanka, not a midsize, weighs in at just over 8oz which would make a fine chopper if I needed it to. The Steel is A2. Keeping that in mind, if when using a frontier [properly mind you] blade and something were to fail, Allen would make it right. Wouldn't it be nice though to have a frontier model in CPM 154 or other stainless?
Tony and Nathan might chime in here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry gents, been quite busy lately.

I can report that I've carried and used these knives. Mine are no longer "pretty"...they have seen a bit of wood, blood, fur, meat, and...oh wow, sounds like I'm burying bodies in the yard or something. I think I'm just going to stop there.

Seriously, I've got 3 of this line, and I love them for their looks, feel, and function. I had the Revenant with me as a constant companion during hunting season this year. I carry the Jakyll often as an EDC, and use it extensively for everyday chores. And I've always got my mini Revenant close at hand.

As per your question on kitchen use, I can't speak much to that. I have a spectacular koa Arowana that I have reserved for that purpose.

I don't have pics of use in the field for you, though I know I have some somewhere of my boys field dressing small game. I use em and don't hesitate to do so.

Sorry gents, been quite busy lately.

I can report that I've carried and used these knives. Mine are no longer "pretty"...they have seen a bit of wood, blood, fur, meat, and...oh wow, sounds like I'm burying bodies in the yard or something. I think I'm just going to stop there.

Seriously, I've got 3 of this line, and I love them for their looks, feel, and function. I had the Revenant with me as a constant companion during hunting season this year. I carry the Jakyll often as an EDC, and use it extensively for everyday chores. And I've always got my mini Revenant close at hand.

As per your question on kitchen use, I can't speak much to that. I have a spectacular koa Arowana that I have reserved for that purpose.

I don't have pics of use in the field for you, though I know I have some somewhere of my boys field dressing small game. I use em and don't hesitate to do so.

There's that thing about "pretty" with regards to unused FF blades...When "Pretty" goes by the wayside Awesome will always remain.
Good to see you around Tony....

I don't really have a mid-sized frontier line knife yet but I carry the Sawnee as my EDC more than any fixed blade I have right now. If it's not in my pocket or bag a Bushboot, Revenant EDC, or the unnamed spear point usually is. I've not had any need to use them hard but I wouldn't hesitate if the need arose. Like Tony, I too have an Arowana (in bog oak [emoji4]) that I throughly enjoy using in the kitchen so I've not had much need of the frontier line there.

62e915c1516397932c5a6db3370017dc.jpg

I got some hands-on time with the Frontier line yesterday at the Dallas show. Allen's new unnamed models are really light (esp considering their size) and they're comfortable. Thought I'd share a comparison pic her with them next to a Bushboot and Bushfinger.

varga49 said:
Oh hey Douglas! Will that Bushfinger match your OKTs?

UnnamedModelComparison-vi.jpg

i got some hands-on time with the frontier line yesterday at the dallas show. Allen's new unnamed models are really light (esp considering their size) and they're comfortable. Thought i'd share a comparison pic her with them next to a bushboot and bushfinger.

Oh hey douglas! Will that bushfinger match your okts?

unnamedmodelcomparison-vi.jpg

uh oh...!!!

Can someone, please, talk to me about the wrap on these knives? Does it add significant girth, is it sticky (or slick), does it get dirty easily, can it grow mold, does it get in the way with an underhand grip, etc? I'm looking for feedback specific to the wraps.

Thank you!

Mish_Mike,

Good questions. I may be able to give a perspective on a few of your questions:

Does not add any noticeable girth; it is neither sticky nor slick, but rather adds a very ergonomic grip that does not irritate your hand with use; I have used mine in a very dry dusty climate - the wrap does absorb dust but not excessively - no idea about the mold question; the wrap does not get in the way of an underhand grip. I have noticed that my sheath actually does a great job of keeping the knife dust free without exception. I have not needed to "clean" the wrap. I also have had no need to repair or re-wrap. It is well affixed. Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
IMG_4461.JPG You can see light dust collected on the wrap. I have had no desire to remove this, but I imagine that it would come off with a damp cloth. I like allowing my knives to wear naturally with regular use. All a matter of the eye of the beholder. This beholder likes it.

The wraps are designed to not only add a cool look, but provide a better grip. The wraps are thoroughly soaked with a thin epoxy that is absorbed to seal and affix the wrap for longevity. Dust can accumulate due to the natural grooves between each coil. After they are epoxied, I lightly sand the wraps to help eliminate hard spots then go back and reseal with BLO or Tung oil. Concerning mold, moisture should not be able to be absorbed in the wrap due to the epoxy and oil. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

Back