Frost Cutlery??

Hi all, I saw a bowie at a garage sale today and picked it up for $20.00. It is made by Frost Cutlery, and is called "Crocodile II Bowie". It seemed neat enough to buy anyway, roughly 5 1/2 " blade, wood handle, skull cracker... I cannot find any info on this knife online, however, and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it. Since it is labelled "Crocodile II" I assume there has been a version "I" of the blade, but I am not familiar with this line at all and again cannot find info or user reviews. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

sorry to say this but if its the frost cutlery that they sell on QVC get your money back,i got the whole set of frost cutlery on QVC an i was stuck with a bunch of crap i couldnt even give them away ,one knife snaped when i chopped it into a mango tree almost lost an eye,true story,,aloha P.S be careful

It is probably a movie tie-in product to the movie Croc Dundie II. As with all movie souvenirs, they are not the highest quality. As a brand, Frost Cutlery has worked very hard to earn its lousy reputation.

Value-wise, it may be worth CDN$20.

It is probably a movie tie-in product to the movie Croc Dundie II. As with all movie souvenirs, they are not the highest quality. As a brand, Frost Cutlery has worked very hard to earn its lousy reputation.

Value-wise, it may be worth CDN$20.

Well, that's what I paid, heh. I don't believe it is any sort of movie replica though, it seems kinda generic with little or no reference to anything other than (a) Japan, country of manufature, and (b) "Crocodile II" with an etched image of a crocodil on it. It seems rigid enough, but as I said before, I know not of this manufacturer nor of this particular knife. Thanks for the help though, and of course, input from others is always welcome.

EDIT: I will try to take a picture of it if I can figure out my son's camera, then try to post the picture.

The thing is junk, put it in the shed somewhere, forget about it and put it down to experience. There are plenty of good quality knives around at reasonable prices.

Current production Frost are all trash, but if yours is from Japan than it is somewhat older and better than what they have made for the last ten years. Not a great knife, but most likely worth the $20.

I bought a handful of frost folders in the 90's to try them out, at about $5 each I thought what could I loose. These were all made in Japan, not the best quality but serviceable. None have broke on me although none have been put to strenuous use.

The thing is junk, put it in the shed somewhere, forget about it and put it down to experience. There are plenty of good quality knives around at reasonable prices.

Make a 'treasure map' to the knife's location and add a footnote to your will:
"This map will lead you to a rare and valuable bowie knife, which I purchased way back in 2008. If the year is now 2108 or later, the knife may be worth a lot of money!" :)

My experience from watching "Cash in the attic" and "Antiques Roadshow" is that most everything will be worth some $$ in a hundred years.

My experience from watching "Cash in the attic" and "Antiques Roadshow" is that most everything will be worth some $$ in a hundred years.

Nope. In 100 years, it'll still be worth...$20. And your descendants probably couldn't give it away then, either.

Real Commander - I wouldn't try to use that knife for anything other than looking at. I bought two similar types at a garage sale years ago, and they're not for heavy use.

If you look up "Crocodile II" on Google, you'll find a listing on Craig's List where the seller has similar types for sale (and has the gall to say the retail is $199.99. :eek:) and one of the knives pictured may be similar to yours?

thx - cpr

REAL Commander,

I wasn't trying to make fun of you so please don take it as such.

When I posted value at CDN$20, I meant that you should treat it as a $20 knife = don't depend on it for anything, certainly not your safety.

Keep it on a shelf or throw it away. Using it like it's a real knife would be dangerous. This is no exaggeration. At least you didn't lose too much money.

IIRC, it was a crappy knife with an unservicable/unsharpened sawback, multiple oval holes in the blade, and a multi-colored synthetic "pakkawood" handle. Blade was "stainless" no-grade steel. It was rather ghey.

You'd have gotten 100 times more blade in a $6 Wal-Mart machete.

I tried to sharpen a friends Frost knife, and I couldnt even get an edge on the steel at all...Ive seen sharper soda cans.

It definitely has to be an older one, because it's been many years since really low-end knives have come out of Japan, as far as I know. It may be worth keeping around for that reason alone, though I wouldn't actually want to depend on it as a tool.
Jim

Seems like we have a lot of Frost Cutlery Knives in town at the Smoky Mtn. Knifeworks. Alot of those blades are made in Pakistan. Frost Cutlery and United Cutlery--while making some cool designs-- just aren't quality knives.

I will say something positive;

It is far better to watch the Cutlery Corner knife show on TV at 3 am than it is to watch some make up infomercial ;)

Otherwise the knives are crap

Just fondle with the eyes

I found this...

fd9a_1.JPG

I agree with the others, Frost isn't known for producing the best quality knives. As jetsrb32 mentioned, I get a kick outta watching the 300 piece knife set (plus FREE limited edition katana set!) for $350 at 3am. I love to hear their retail prices.

"Retail price is $39.95...but tonight only...get in on this deal for only $1.17 per knife"..

It's a production fantasy knife from Frost Cutlery, and yes, there is a Crocodile Bowie I. :D

Here's one that was offered recently on eBay. Says it was made in Japan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frost-Cutlery-J...9QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

Not current production, but a Google search will turn up some stores with them still in stock. Retail price is about $20USD.

Obviously not good for actual use. Hang it on the wall if you like the looks.

Back