• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

FS&T: Survive GSO, need some suggestions, though!

Hey all!

I'm not much of an outsoorsman, but I do love knives, and I have a barely used Survive GSO 4.5 (gotta double check exact legth, believe its 3V) that I'd like to trade for a couple hundred bucks AND a less-expensive copy of this knife. Something with a full tang, 5-7", not a supert steel or custom blade,but something that I could use for batton-ing wood and camping tasks when summer comes around. However, I dont really know fixed blades very well, nor which would be an affordable workhorse (not a safe-queen).

What would you reccomend in the way of a 5-7" camping/survival knife that is reliable, but not neccessarily a super expensive super steel? Looking for some suggestions from you fixed blade fans out there for something under $100 I could possibly ask for in a trade that would be fair (without getting ripped off).

Help/offers welcome! Ill post pics when I get home from work.

Look at an ESEE 5 or 6. Also some good Beckers in this range.

Wish I had one to make a deal for this GSO!

Those were the two I was thinking about! Are they pretty similar, just in 1095 instead of a HT super steel? How do they hold up performance wise?

I have GSO 4.1 in 3v and becker bk16 in 1095 crovan. the 16 is my favorite fixed blade. It won't hold an edge quite as long as the 3v, but it's so simple to sharpen. The Becker is just as tough from a practical standpoint. there's realistically nothing that you will find a becker or esee lacks in toughness. You can beat them all day long. I'd definately suguest a becker or esee as already mentioned by others.

Thank you, guys. I was always hesitant to abuse the S!K just because of its inherent value. I'd love to beat some wood up with one of the others, though!

Those were the two I was thinking about! Are they pretty similar, just in 1095 instead of a HT super steel? How do they hold up performance wise?

There is a ton of reviews on the ESEE's, I have many of there models and have used them quite extensively over the years with zero issues, as also mentioned the BK16 would also be a great comparisons of size/performance.

Well if an ESEE 4 does come to mind I have an extra one in either dark earth or desert (can't remember). It's unused and has its packaging, picked it up w/o the kydex but I have some leather pouch sheaths similar to the JRE type of slip pouches. Also have some Camo TKC scales I could throw in as well to provide a little more diversity for the handle. Would have to work something between the 2 Benjamins though, lol

Back