FUKUTA SOG QUESTIONS

Hi guys. I would like to share some pics of a knife I recently picked up and have some questions about. I know that it was made in Japan by Tak Fukuta for Parker and that it is a SOG pattern knife. What I would like to know is approximately when was it made and what kind of steel was used? Is it rare? I haven't been able to find much info on it. Also, it is not very sharp but apparently not from use . Is there a reason for this and should I sharpen it? I paid $315 for it. How did I do? Thanks in advance.

Looks awesome, and even if I am not an expert I believe you had a great blade at a great price!

These were around in the mid 80's. They're pretty rare, and you paid about market price. Don't know the steel, but it's probably one of the 440 grades or something like AUS 6 or 8. They were mainly sold as collectors items, so that might account for the middle of the road sharpness.

Someone like Ken Hash might know more, or if you really get stuck, Jim Parker's boy still operates this Ebay account -

https://www.ebay.com/str/silverladdie72/. Maybe ask him using the ask seller button.

Thanks for the help guys. If its collectable I guess I shouldn't sharpen it. Also, am I right in assuming the "BENCH MADE By..." means it was handmade by Mr Fukuta?

Bench made in this context is more like what is known as "small shop" handmade now. It used to describe a knife that was handmade by a small group of knifemakers in a factory type setting. Most people don't use it now because it usually gets confused with the Benchmade knife company.

Very nice, and it just goes to show that Parker had a wide range of knives from flea market specials which ranged in quality up to very nice knives like this which are worth decent money these days.

It looks just like an old Sog S1 I have including the sheath as well. That's a nice knife congrats. I'm curious as too how long the blade is.

Back