Fun, Full Damascus, Thor's Hammers

Has anybody else seen these on eBay? I bought this one last week. It hasn't gotten here yet. I'll update when it arrives. This one has a 2X4" head and is 14.5" long. They have others that are HUGE, the size of the Thor's Hammer Comic Book hammer.

I paid $100 for this, including shipping. They say it's 1095 and 15N20, who really knows. It says it originated in New York, but it reeks Pakistan. It still looks cool and PROBABLY it's made of what they say.
Hey, it's a hammer. Even if it were raw iron, it'd be effective.
The only thing is bending the handle, still you could just thread a piece of stout wood on there...

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I think it's cool , but how can I get a thong through it???

I'll let you guys know...

Here's another one. The spikes thread on:

s-l500.jpg

Here's a cool one:

s-l500.jpg

Here's the full-size, comic-book hammer I was talking about:

s-l500.jpg

I'll tell you right now... that thong is not going to stay on. At least not when you make a tornado by twirling it.

I think the amount of vibration coming through the metal handle would probably crack the fillings in my teeth on a good smite. Even with a good leather wrap, you might take a page from the old Norse tales of Thor and wear a leather gauntlet when it's hammer time--or your hand might end up a little "thtiff."

I just got it today. It's the cat's meow.

It would take Thor to wield it. Mine weighs six pounds and it's the smaller one. The one that looks like the comic book must weigh over twenty.
It's SOOOO cool looking though! The Damascus is beautiful and boy is it solid. I tried to scratch it with a nail and didn't make a mark. I think it's hardened well, the file slid over the edges nicely. I tested the handle also. It was tempered just like the rest of it. It's a user, but I'm not going to take it out and beat on anything (maybe).
I can't believe they're using this much Damascus in a single product. I looked though. My hammer was the only one that looked like itself and it hasn't been replaced. That makes me think it really was unique and some shop just produced a few of them for a knock-off. I was lucky to win mine for 99$. The others cost much more.
The thing is made just like you see. It's solid Damascus steel with the handle deeply threaded into the head. The plug on top is also Damscus and also threaded. In other words, the hammer comes in three pieces. Nothing is flimsy. I think you could use it as a real hammer, if you didn't mind pulling a few tendons. Nothing is coming loose. It's about five steps up from a tank.
I wouldn't advise dropping it on your foot.

That big one is something cool. Everybody, who wasn't dead, would walk right to it and try to pick it up. Nobody who ever read a comic book could walk by that thing.
Of course they're not gods...

I'd be hesitant to hit anything hard . That much Damascus steel at the cheap price probably means it's Paki and decorative rather than functional . I had some big knifes made like that and they were very attractive , but the steel fractured and delaminated in use . Would have looked good as wall hangers . :oops:

You never know with foreign steel anyway. I frankly think that China has no conception of telling the truth about what their stuff is made of. If it's bright and shiny, they call it "Stainless Steel." If you look closely, what you think is steel is really chrome paint... Walla! what's revealed is good old cast zink.
Any Damascus can come apart. Any metal can be weak inside. It's all in the grain of the steel. I would love it if steel were solid, you know, fluid like a flowing whole, but it's not. It's granular, like sand. I've always worshiped steel and when I found that out, it kind of diminished the fetish. I don't know why.
The finer the grain, the better the steel, all things being balanced by content, forging, aligning, and tempering.
I've learned to look for cracks and delaminations, but you never know. Any steel can look fine, but the proof is in the pudding. One of the toughest, most flexible, knives I have is Pakistan Damascus. I've beaten the crap-crap out of it and I would trust it as much as I trust anything. But, for every one of those, you get a dozen where the tip bends over like a fish hook.
That's why the ancients valued old weapons, ones that had been proven.

"Never praise a blade until it's tested, or a day until it's over." (old Norse proverb)

These Thor's Hammers are pure toy. The one I've got is WAY too heavy to fence with, let alone what the other monster must weigh. It wouldn't even be a good tool hammer. Maybe for smashing cans...
It's sturdy and well-made though. I've been all over it and I see no cracks, not even a little.

It's a completely useless bauble with absolutely no practical purpose, a TOY.
It's not something a practical, serious, man-of-order would buy. Only an infantile uber-nerd with the maturity level of a twelve-year-old would think it's cool. Someone who thinks the whole world is uncomprehendingly tedious, that reality sucks. A dweeb who refuses to acknowledge that he's an insignificant nobody, in a world of insignificant nobodies, going through a revolving door. Instead he masks his drab existence by draping it in fantasy. The weak fool who lives in a dream world, layering color over what should be stark black and white.

I'll admit to that.

no need to make excuses for wanting/having it. its really cool!!!

thanx for showing us

The name Thor is pronounced TOR . The Scandinavians dropped the TH sound many years ago [except the Icelanders ! ] But they never dropped the H .Therefore -don't waste the Hs stick them on other names like Brith , Roberth etc :eek:

s-l500.jpg

This full-sized Thor version weighs 22 lbs. I don't think the round handle is going to get in the way as much as the 22 lbs will. A 22 lb one-handed hammer would be hard to swing with just about any shaped handle.
Think how cool you'd look walking around with that thing thrust through your belt... cool
Thor had a magic belt to give him the strength to weld his mighty hammer. I would need a hernia belt

Back