Fun trip: what do you choose?

You have decided to take an extended trip into the back country at a location and time OF YOUR CHOICE for approximately 6-8 WEEKS! You are taking whatever you can carry. You even plan on returning to "town" a time or two to resupply, maybe spend a night at a hotel, get a "burger" etc.

You plan on adding wild protein to your diet during this time, trapping/fishing/snaring can be done according to your locations laws and seasons. You also plan on HUNTING during this excursion. So the question is: you are taking a SINGLE FIREARM, what do you choose, in what chambering and how much ammo?

Thanks!

Awsome! My bucket list is horse camping in the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Provincial Park. Have to look into the hunting regs. Just started riding my horse. After ground work, gathering gear, learning. My choice for rifle will be my CZ 12g over 308win. 12g for small game.

Assuming that I wouldn't have access to refrigeration, and not being well versed in smoking meat, I would probably only be interested in hunting small game that could be consumed in one meal. A .22 rifle with a couple hundred rounds would do just fine. Between that and fishing, I would be OK with protein.

Tough choice. Probably 30-30 and a couple boxes of ammo. I’d more than likely mostly just fish, and ride my horse. I can’t take plenty that way and cover a lot of ground. Good question :thumbsup:

I don't hunt. Can I choose a different scenario? Say I set my camp near a rocky shore and I swap the hunting gear for spearfishing gear... I think that given my background I would me much more proficient spearfishing, gathering crabs, limpets, octopus and such. For 6 weeks I would go with a double banded 100cm euro long gun, 4 spare shafts and some replacement rubbe bands just in case.

In this situation I would be more worried about restocking crops and veggies than meat. I am not an expert in edible seaweed so I would be lacking in vitamins.

Mikel

Well...it would depend on the season. Turkey season I'd take a shotgun. Deer and small game often overlap. As long as there weren't people hunting me...I'd take a 50 call flintlock longrifle. I can hunt it all with that. Round balls of course.

One single firearm?? That is a tough question.
I think I would lean towards a Remington 870 with a Buckmaster barrel and all shot size's from 71/2 to slugs. That would work fine for anything in season including any "two legged" snakes I may possibly run across.

Probably a Marlin .22 Magnum bolt action with a decent scope, at least 250 rounds of ammo (so, at least 2.5 boxes of CCI rounds but more would obviously be better), and nice Buckhorn sights in case the scope gets dinged one too many times. With proper shot placement that should take down most small-medium game in the US. Could probably take down an elk too (not legally) but wouldn't do much if a mama bear got motivated towards my direction...

I'm down south in Texas..we can hunt pigs all year. I would take a light AR (1-7twist) with a LPVO and some 77gr hunting rounds. Accurate enough, don't worry about leaning it on a tree or damaging it. Can drop anything up to an Axis without much issue (if I do my part) and it can take small game with ease.

Not sure if the quote worked but trying to reply to flint lock. Why not just use slugs for the shotgun? Pretty close to 50 cal. Some birdshot for small game and graduate to slugs depending on game. I like old rifles but there are better choices

I can hunt anything from squirrels to deer with a flintlock. I just like them. Shotgun would be good too. I just like a BP rifle. Would suit my mood.

Cool. Had a 50cal mountain rifle I think it was called years ago. Not flint but cap. My second choice would be my 410/22. Still lots of choice for ammo and game. 22 short, 22lr, 410 buck, bird, slug.

Fist choice for me is a 20ga/62cal flintlock smoothbore, pound of powder, pound of lead, few flints and a ball mold.

22 mag rifle would be my choice. Can easily take any game animal up to including whitetails if you're careful with your shots.

Only one gun period and have to go to town? I guess my EDC Glock 27.
If I can stay in the bush, I’ll borrow my sons 2 pound, bolt-action, single shot, 10” barrel .22 pistol... :)
47A3C0D1-223D-4064-90DB-1316F6B553D1.jpeg

Since I’d take the trip in early winter which would mean that I could dig a hole, line it with hay, and have a makeshift fridge, I’d briny my suppressed 44 mag rifle. It’ll make a great Jack of all trades. It puts the bullets where I want them, is pretty lightweight, will take small game through large game, and would do for protection against whatever problems that could arise.
50 rounds should be more than enough.

Add a nice canvas tent or teepee with a backpacking wood stove, like the G stove, a deck of cards, my Sebenza and Carothers knives, Arcteryx jacket, Haix boots, booboo kit, Mars Mystery by Graham Hancock ( so I could finally find the time to read it ), old musty G.I. down sleeping bag, cot, axe, saw, and a decent mess kit and I may not even go to town.

Well, I only have one longarm, an AR-15 with a .22lr conversion unit and I'd pick that even if I had a dozen others. 22's for small game, 60 gr 223 softpoints for deer,small hogs, pronghorn, small bears, all chest hits. For bigger animals, take brain shots only. Just get within 100m, brace the rifle and shoot carefully. and a 6" brain circle is not that hard a mark. Also, bowhunters get within 40m of big game all the time. Why can't you do the same?

Back