Fun with electricity

Lamp building. It's actually a very addictive hobby to get involved in.

Wal-Mart's lanterns actually serve a very constructive purpose, even if you wind up getting one that doesn't hold kerosene, and you don't want to follow Dietz's advice for how to seal a leaking fount.

The black one was my first attempt, and there are some steps that I'm less than proud of. The red one is a considerable improvement in terms of basic workmanship. Both of them are capable of handling a 75 watt bulb, so there's a great deal of flexibility if you want something either decorative or functional.

The red one is pretty nice with the more refined structure in its construction. Overall it just feels a little more durable compared to the other one.

One advantage an electrified lantern has over other lamp designs, is how they can be easily moved from one location to another with the handle. Or how easily you can hang them up if that's what you need.

Matters pertaining to AC power are proving themselves far easier to manage than DC power.

Once again I find myself wishing to produce my own battery powered lantern. But I have no idea how to get an LED lightbulb to run on just a few AA batteries. I've seen some designs that utilize some sort of control board/microchip, but I have no idea just how everything would be set up to actually do such.

Back