funny things "non-knife guys" may say

The usual "how much!?" , "why do you need that" etc etc is annoying.

The worst though is the totally misinformed and ignorant people (usually american kids) who think knives and guns are illegal in Britain! "Aren't lock knives illegal over there?" "Even the police are banned from having guns!"

So banned I can own a fully automatic with the right papers, and take a 25" machete in the woods for a play! Grr

The usual "how much!?" , "why do you need that" etc etc is annoying.

The worst though is the totally misinformed and ignorant people (usually american kids) who think knives and guns are illegal in Britain! "Aren't lock knives illegal over there?" "Even the police are banned from having guns!"

So banned I can own a fully automatic with the right papers, and take a 25" machete in the woods for a play! Grr

Honestly I used to think that myself and I'm not even a kid anymore... all the stories I heard of the young punks, they all seemed to have carpet/Stanley knives if anything, figured because it was all they (or anyone) could get their hands on... it's good to know that isn't really the case though.

And although TV is not always the place to educate yourself, I watch a ton of British TV and the inspectors on the mystery shows I like hardly ever seem to wear guns for some reason, I figured perhaps only special types were allowed to have them or something.

Well I mean since you can't carry locking knives that's still fairly illegal even if your only punishment is getting it taken away.

How exactly can you get full auto? I know its not that hard to get traditional rifles and shotguns if you bother with the right paperwork but I don't see many people being able to get full auto unless they have the British version of an FFL.

I can take a lock knife in public if I want to, I will need a 'good' reason if confronted by police though. Standard hassle free knife has to be under 3" and a non locker. Everything but flick knives and push daggers are legal to own and use in the right place though.

Regarding guns, a shotgun is the easiest to get and requires a shotgun cerificate. and anyone can get one unless they have a series of violent crimes. Rim or centre fire rifles need to be under a section 1 firearms cert and only .22 cal and under can be semi auto unless you progress through the certificates. Shotgun slush are also under section 1 or a practical shotgun licence.

Modern handguns, full autos, mortars or grenades etc you need a section 5 cert, essentially the hardest to get and most people will be Denis access to them. I know a few though, and I know loads of lever action .357 competition shooters and all orts at my local club.

Unlike the shotgun cert, the rim or centre fire application needs specific locations to use them and are strict. They need to be lacked away and limits on ammo you can store are usually around 500 rounds. Shotguns are the way to go here, as you can have as much ammo as you like, up to buckshot on a normal cert and you can have any size bore/gauge on the original cert!

Hope that clears up some confusion!

Very informative, I appreciate it. Question: Do you feel comfortable taking, say, a 3.5 inch locking knife like a Griptilian or similar out with you for the day?

I mean, we can still get in trouble here too and although I carry what I like, I also ask myself, will I personally feel a bit iffy if I actually need to pull this out in a public place, so I won't usually take some gigantic knife with me, but something like 3.5 that locks usually seems reasonable.

I can take a lock knife in public if I want to, I will need a 'good' reason if confronted by police though. Standard hassle free knife has to be under 3" and a non locker. Everything but flick knives and push daggers are legal to own and use in the right place though.

Regarding guns, a shotgun is the easiest to get and requires a shotgun cerificate. and anyone can get one unless they have a series of violent crimes. Rim or centre fire rifles need to be under a section 1 firearms cert and only .22 cal and under can be semi auto unless you progress through the certificates. Shotgun slush are also under section 1 or a practical shotgun licence.

Modern handguns, full autos, mortars or grenades etc you need a section 5 cert, essentially the hardest to get and most people will be Denis access to them. I know a few though, and I know loads of lever action .357 competition shooters and all orts at my local club.

Unlike the shotgun cert, the rim or centre fire application needs specific locations to use them and are strict. They need to be lacked away and limits on ammo you can store are usually around 500 rounds. Shotguns are the way to go here, as you can have as much ammo as you like, up to buckshot on a normal cert and you can have any size bore/gauge on the original cert!

Hope that clears up some confusion!

No, I only take sub 3" folders in public. Camping and stuff is different but deffinately not in public without a direct need. All our knife laws rely on subjective policing and wording so for safe measure I will only take a big knife or a locker if I actually have a convincing reason. Fishing, hunting, camping etc I'd be comfortable, but otherwise I'd rather not argue with potentially ignorant police and suffer a weapons charge!

No, I only take sub 3" folders in public. Camping and stuff is different but deffinately not in public without a direct need. All our knife laws rely on subjective policing and wording so for safe measure I will only take a big knife or a locker if I actually have a convincing reason. Fishing, hunting, camping etc I'd be comfortable, but otherwise I'd rather not argue with potentially ignorant police and suffer a weapons charge!

I think that's why people think it's illegal...

We Americans still have a distrust of vague laws that call for interpretation by authorities. Or at least some of us do.

Pennsylvania's knife laws are too vague for my liking and there barely are any.

To stay on track, I honestly think it's kind of sad when people speak of knives and stabbing like they have an inherent relationship. Stabbing is gross and terrible and it amazes me how little weight some people give it. I think it comes from never having gotten cut.

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Yeah NY(outside of NYC) is like that with the vagueness. So many people think such and such is illegal when it never is. Biggest misconception is that any folder over 4" is illegal in NY, it's not. NY has no restriction on folder length. What is illegal however is carrying a knife with intent to use it on another(self defense doesn't count as with intent, at least according to precedent). Technically, a police officer can straight up arrest you just for having one and you'll have to go to court. It's supposedly not that tough to prove you had no intention to use it as a weapon once you are in court, provided you aren't like a known criminal or something, but it's crazy to think it's still considered a perfectly legitimate arrest on the officer's part. I mean it makes sense for caution sake but way too vague and pliable for my liking.

Ouch, guy is busy calling out non-knife folks for having poor knife knowledge, and gets called out for having gaps in his knife knowledge. This place is the best! LOL

sorry I didn't know that, obviously its not the optimal steel for a blade if in the 2 and half years I have been collecting (which I know isn't that long), I have never come across one. I am not really that into those companies but have looked at some of their knives but have not seen any titanium blades. If Titanium held a good edge I would expect we would see it used more often...am I wrong?

Yeah NY(outside of NYC) is like that with the vagueness. So many people think such and such is illegal when it never is. Biggest misconception is that any folder over 4" is illegal in NY, it's not. NY has no restriction on folder length. What is illegal however is carrying a knife with intent to use it on another(self defense doesn't count as with intent, at least according to precedent). Technically, a police officer can straight up arrest you just for having one and you'll have to go to court. It's supposedly not that tough to prove you had no intention to use it as a weapon once you are in court, provided you aren't like a known criminal or something, but it's crazy to think it's still considered a perfectly legitimate arrest on the officer's part. I mean it makes sense for caution sake but way too vague and pliable for my liking.

In PA I hear a lot, that if the blade isn't longer than the palm of your hand then its legal. I have to tell them there is nothing in the PA knife laws restricting blade size. Which is pretty silly if you think about it, everyone's palm size is different how could they use that as a measure of legality. as if bigger guys are allowed to have bigger knives.

Non-knife guy : What do you use it for ?
Me : Picking my nose and cleaning my teeth after a good steak . (In that order)

Honestly I love converting the poor lost souls out there . I remember my journey well , from a souvenir single blade with The Alamo stamped into the scale to "???" Well it depends on the days tasks . Lately it's been my ZT0561 or my Buck Strider maybe my Paul Lone Wolf Defender w/coco bolo scales oh wait then there is my no-nonsense days its the Manix . Lol , I'm gonna go show my knife to someone now .
+=={====>

Being a new member here and having no knowledge of knives and their jargons, this thread certainly intrigues me. The many comments posted here are informative although I personally felt some of them border on being somewhat arrogant maybe. Personally, I don't know much about knives. I don't understand what is jimping and choil, and I can't differentiate between VG10 and S30V. All I know is I got myself a Spyderco Endura many years ago because I needed a knife for my frequent camping trip. I see it more as a tool than a collection piece. Recently I was itching for a replacement and bought myself a Paramilitary 2. The PM2 arrived yesterday and it felt much better than the Endura. The design of the PM2 sparked my curiosity and that was what caused me to google up about knife designs and I that's how I found BF. I signed up here yesterday hoping I will learn more from all you experts. So, I hope you guys would go easy on me.

p.s. Though I know nothing much about knives, I have been eyeing a Sebenza 21 and a Hinderer XM series. They are too pricey for now but who knows?

The Para II is one of the best production knives ever made in my opinion. Hang around here a while and you'll lean more about all that stuff,...and also if you hang around here a while you'll end getting to a Sebenza or Hinderer eventually. I bought my first Sebenza last week. I have been collecting for a little over 2 years but all my knives get used, I just rotate them as do many of us. No rush to the high end knives, you'll get there when your ready, enjoy the journey and welcome to blade forums.

In PA I hear a lot, that if the blade isn't longer than the palm of your hand then its legal. I have to tell them there is nothing in the PA knife laws restricting blade size. Which is pretty silly if you think about it, everyone's palm size is different how could they use that as a measure of legality. as if bigger guys are allowed to have bigger knives.

There are some places where the blade being shorter than a palm is actual law, but it's not referring to one's literal palm, but rather the unit of measurement a "palm", it was commonly used in selling horses I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_(unit)

Well that one was a knife guy , he saw me cleaning my fingernail and said " that's a nice knife "(zt0561) and then pulled out his Spyderco Native . Lol thus the blade babble begins , well off to seek an unbladiever .

The Para II is one of the best production knives ever made in my opinion. Hang around here a while and you'll lean more about all that stuff,...and also if you hang around here a while you'll end getting to a Sebenza or Hinderer eventually. I bought my first Sebenza last week. I have been collecting for a little over 2 years but all my knives get used, I just rotate them as do many of us. No rush to the high end knives, you'll get there when your ready, enjoy the journey and welcome to blade forums.
Thank you! Heard about the PM2 from my friend. He sort of convinced the rest of us to get one as well and I am the last guy to have gotten my hands on one. I don't think a Sebenza and Hinderer are anywhere close right now but who knows?

We Americans still have a distrust of vague laws that call for interpretation by authorities. Or at least some of us do.

Pennsylvania's knife laws are too vague for my liking and there barely are any.
+1 :thumbdn:

Back