funny things "non-knife guys" may say

I usually get asked, "how much was that I saw a couple good ones for 20 bucks online!" After I reply they usually think Im crazy! :p
Then there's always the'"its bigger then my palm must be illegal!" which is always amusing.

There's always the "That's an awesome switchblade" when using anything with a assist, especially my Kershaw Leek

and then there was this one time my friend was trying to learn how to use my Mantis Vuja De Karambit Ballisong. I tried to tell him that the main handle was the bite handle. He interrupted me with "Yeah I know how a ballisong work-oh yeah that bit me..." then proceeded to drop the knife on a table and run to get paper towels...

My friend who's a Marine had his PM2 swiped by a company member within a week. So he only buys like $30 Gerbers now.

I like small EDC blades...always have. My everyday is a Dragonfly 2. I always get a good chuckle when guys ask me "What's with that hole, dude"? I tell them it's a ventilation hole to keep the blade cool during serious cutting. :D

I like small EDC blades...always have. My everyday is a Dragonfly 2. I always get a good chuckle when guys ask me "What's with that hole, dude"? I tell them it's a ventilation hole to keep the blade cool during serious cutting. :D

hahaha :thumbup: thats one of the best explanations yet!

Yep!!! :thumbup:

The one silly thing I had was actually a really odd one for me. I had just gotten a ZT 0550 one day, and had been talking with my co-worker (well, technically he's my boss but we work in a team) about his son's gear for his job as an LEO. He was asking me about recommendations for knives, so I gladly pulled out the ZT and he looked at it and said, "Woah, Brad would really like this thing for work!!" and then followed that up by doing some CRAZY slashing and stabbing motions that kinda had me looking at him like, um...are you serious right now? I knew he wasn't, but the fact that he did it was just kind of outrageous, especially in the office setting we were in.

It makes you wonder what people think us knife folk do in our spare time.
Practice ninja backflips while disassembling our knives in mid-air.
Sharpen knives with our willpower alone.
Make entire rooms of salad by having vegetable guns shoot at us while we defend our honor with our pristine blades.

EDIT: I have since begun my conversion of said boss-type into knife appreciating person. I gave him a Spyderco Salt 1 as a gift, and after using it he was very impressed with the fit and finish and lightness of the blade. He has since gone through me to help him find and order a custom fillet knife for fishing, which is still in the process of being made.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder what people think us knife folk do in our spare time.
Practice ninja backflips while disassembling our knives in mid-air.
Sharpen knives with our willpower alone.
Make entire rooms of salad by having vegetable guns shoot at us while we defend our honor with our pristine blades.

Is that not what you do?

I was in a restaurant and they served the salad dressing in a package that must be made by the same people that make that plastic bag the MREs come in. So I get out my Delica and open it. Just as I did that, the waitress walks up and with a shocked look on her face asks "Wow. Do you need a knife or something?" To which I reply, "uhhhh, well, no, I have a knife as you can see. Thanks?"

No offense but there are a lot of these threads already, and some of them are still open for posting and contributing.

IKR? I am waiting for another "what's the weirdest thing you ever did thread". At which time I will break out my boil story. That always stops those!

Now that is awesome!

These threads are awesome, there can never be too many

The flicking thing is just the worst. Makes me feel sketched out whenever someone asks to see my knives and it makes me look like a control freak.

Yeah I am the same way with my knives aswell. I used to have a very dear friend of mine and he would ask to use my knife to clean his weed pipe, pry lids off bottles ect ect lol. I am very ocd about my knives and care too.

As much as I enjoy reading (and contributing) to threads like this, it is a bit mean.

Say you go to a Zoo.
You asked someone what kind of monkey it was.
Would you rather hear "baboon"
Or
"It's a 7-legged-cross-eyed-toyota-scion monkey"?

We know the real answer when they ask, why not give it to them?

"You're that guy who likes sharp pointy objects aren't you?"

"God..and I thought the NRA (censor) was bad..."

Fortunately, both of these was on another forum. I had to restrain my anger on the second a bit. I got the impression that he had something against guns as well, so I simply told him that if he ever sees a rattle snake on his porch, near his car or whatever...feel free to poke it with a stick. In the mean time, that's one of the things we use guns for. He didn't post again.

Last edited:
Really? Who makes a blade with titanium? I have never seen one and I look at a lot of knives. do they have good edge retention?

Mission Knives is known for making knives with ti blades. Emerson also made a few their knives with titanium blades as a special edition a long time ago.

"Oh my, that's a scary knife!"

This lady said when I pulled out my mini Grip to cut something at a grocery store. I told her it's a cutting tool... Friggin mini Grip, how would she have reacted if I had the Millie on me. Urban California... Some parts of the USA is knife: :thumbdn:

"Will you sharpen my knife?"

That always makes me laugh.

Last edited:
Back