funny things "non-knife guys" may say

no words but in my experience, some men turn into complete idiots when they hold a knife. or i may brag about my new knife but i won't bring it out for a "can i see that?"

one guy will immediately propose the coin test
another will ask me to throw it on the wall to see if it sticks (???)
two will wrestle with each other (with the knife in between them) just to be the first to hold it.
one will deliberately maltreat it (because i obviously value it)

and lest you guys think i hang out with low lifes most of the time, i don't. these are ordinary middle-of-the-road humans. knives do that to them.

This is a great thread
The best thing I've heard a non knife person say is
That's not sharp
As they slice open their thumb rubbing the edge of the blade

I was at my friends house and his little cousin (10 years old) was there visiting. I was showing them my 0454 and explained how it was made of carbon fiber, and his cousin asked "don't they make Lamborghinis out of carbon fiber?" which I said "yes", and he replied "so that knife is made out of Lamborghinis?".

I couldn't help but laugh, but he's just a kid so I can't fault him.

Carbon fiber is already my favorite knife scale material; now, I have another great reason to explain it. :) That's a great anecdote.

The "Oh my! We need to talk in another aisle.." from two gossiping middle aged women when I opened a beef jerky box with my Leek in Costco.

Carbon fiber is already my favorite knife scale material; now, I have another great reason to explain it. :) That's a great anecdote.

Hey,, it's cool that a 10 year old knew what Lamborghinis are made out of... I didn't know that. ;)

Man some of the responses are real knee slappers!! Best thread in a while. I use to have this buddy, every time I would show a new knife at camp or in the garage, he would lick his arm... Then proceed to "shave" with the new knife, mind you my brand new CS Laredo Bowie in sm3 ! Than he gives it back with his DNA on it lol then I'd have to wipe it off. Now, I just don't hang out with him lol.

Here's one I just remembered....

I was at a friend's house for Christmas party and he asked me for my knife to cut something. I handed him a 3 blade large stockman.
My friend's mother in law looked at me and asked me if I always carry a knife. I said "yes , since HS" , she then asked me if I ever killed anyone with it...

Here's one I just remembered....

I was at a friend's house for Christmas party and he asked me for my knife to cut something. I handed him a 3 blade large stockman.
My friend's mother in law looked at me and asked me if I always carry a knife. I said "yes , since HS" , she then asked me if I ever killed anyone with it...

So you lied like we all do and answered," Nope". :)

I live in Canada and I pull out a zt 350 and get you can't carry that swithblades are illegal in Canada. The worst part is mines deasisted. Or why do carry a knife, is it for stabbing people. Those people are usually the ones that need to borrow my knife on a day to day basis.

"hey, do you have a knife?"
Everyone but the new guy laughs.

"can I hold your knife"
Uh.... What do you need to cut?
"well this screw is loose"
Here's a screwdriver

I just got a new job and my last day at my old one was Friday. My boss looks at me and says "Well, there won't be a sharp knife on campus in a week from now"

I love it!

a guy at my firehouse was trying to change the batteries in something and there was a small screw. He asked to use my blade (i was carrying my new spyderco southard) said the same thing "Here's a screwdriver" hahaha

On asking to borrow my knife, everyone gets the standard "Be careful, its sharp."
"Oh wow that is sharp, did you just buy it?"
No, just sharpen it every so often.
"Why do you carry a knife?"
Why dont you?
Long pause, "Well, uh, I dont know seems like its just too much of a macho guy thing to carry a clip knife."
There are lots of knives without clips. Check this one out (hand a SAK over).
"Yeah, I dunno, just dont want to be the "knife guy."
You do know I am the knife guy?

Being a new member here and having no knowledge of knives and their jargons, this thread certainly intrigues me. The many comments posted here are informative although I personally felt some of them border on being somewhat arrogant maybe. Personally, I don't know much about knives. I don't understand what is jimping and choil, and I can't differentiate between VG10 and S30V. All I know is I got myself a Spyderco Endura many years ago because I needed a knife for my frequent camping trip. I see it more as a tool than a collection piece. Recently I was itching for a replacement and bought myself a Paramilitary 2. The PM2 arrived yesterday and it felt much better than the Endura. The design of the PM2 sparked my curiosity and that was what caused me to google up about knife designs and I that's how I found BF. I signed up here yesterday hoping I will learn more from all you experts. So, I hope you guys would go easy on me.

p.s. Though I know nothing much about knives, I have been eyeing a Sebenza 21 and a Hinderer XM series. They are too pricey for now but who knows?

Hi fellow s'porean, we have our own thread on hardwarezone too.

That being said, I showed a buddy of mine who does not own knives, the flipping action of my zt801, he asked if he could try it out, told him to be extremely careful and showed him how the knife works. He ended up slicing his thumb while he was attempting to close it one-handed and immediately proclaimed "gosh, this knife really sucks to close... Why did you buy it?" proceeded to lecture him about everything awesome about the ZT plus his awful closing technique.

no words but in my experience, some men turn into complete idiots when they hold a knife. or i may brag about my new knife but i won't bring it out for a "can i see that?"

one guy will immediately propose the coin test
another will ask me to throw it on the wall to see if it sticks (???)
two will wrestle with each other (with the knife in between them) just to be the first to hold it.
one will deliberately maltreat it (because i obviously value it)

and lest you guys think i hang out with low lifes most of the time, i don't. these are ordinary middle-of-the-road humans. knives do that to them.

What's the coin test?

I live in Canada and I pull out a zt 350 and get you can't carry that swithblades are illegal in Canada. The worst part is mines deasisted. Or why do carry a knife, is it for stabbing people. Those people are usually the ones that need to borrow my knife on a day to day basis.
yea I think none knife people dont under the difference between assisted and switchblade. Even my own boss looked at my weird when he was playing with my Kershaw Oso Sweet. He even made the same remark that isnt it illegal to have it

Or they think we can't carry a knife at all in Canada, when in reality Canada's knife laws are really good. As I understand it you can basically carry anything as long as you are using it for utility purposes

"You ever hear of Gerber?"
"Is that a Gerber?"
"I have a Gerber"
"Why are you carrying a weapon?"
"Do you plan on stabbing anyone?"
"Switchblades are illegal"(referring to my Benchmade grip or spyderco pm2)
"You know it can't be bigger than your hand"

Back