G-10 or micarta?

From my experience with these materials, it's hard to pick an absolute favorite. The G10 on production folders is often peel ply, which means they put a sticker on its surface when they press it, which imprints the pattern into it. It is then peeled off the finished knife, and voila. I think that is what most people think of when they hear G10. It's also usually pretty thin, between say 1/16" for small knives and 1/4" for your big beefy Cold Steels. I don't mind this style of G10, and I used it a few times on fixed blades I made, but in the end I found it limited my creative capacity and what I could do for grip and ergos, as I was trying to preserve the texture. Now I prefer to contour the scales and apply my own texture with hand tools. G10 is very easy to work and finish. When done as I do it for my knives, I don't think it feels cheap or plasticky as people often say about the G10 on production folders. G10 is nonconductive, and impervious to the elements. If well finished with texture, and to a low grit (say 220), it is in fact quite grippy, and comfortable, and I even have found it to be more grippy when wet. I think that is due to the fact I do not polish my handles to a high glossy finish. I believe it is a fantastic knife handle material.

Micarta is a little bit lighter in weight than G10. It is grippier at the the same finish, with canvas (or burlap) Micarta being the grippiest, linen Micarta next, and paper Micarta not much grippier than G10. Each of these has its own distinct look and feel, and all are gripper when wet. Also nonconductive, and perhaps more so than G10 as far as heat. Impervious to the elements, and easy to clean after it has become dirty. Micarta can feel "soft" in the hand, not because it is soft per say (though it has more flex than G10 at the same thickness), but due more, I think, to the fabric texture of the material. A little harder to work than G10, due to the fabric fibers. But it is also a fantastic material.

SureTouch is G10 with layers of rubber in between. This is pretty amazing stuff. It feels a bit lighter than regular G10, though maybe still a tiny bit heavier than Micarta. But when the handle is contoured and/or textured, exposing some of the rubber layers, you end with a handle that is gripper by far than regulars G10 can ever be, and gripper than Micarta. Also, because you have rubber layers in between, you have some shock absorption, which lends itself to choppers, and it also has a slight give to it; whereas straight G10 is very hard and firm, a suretouch handle feels "soft" in the hand, or "squishy", if you will, but not in a bad way, but so very subtly. It's noticeable enough that a SureTouch handle is, in my opinion, dramatically more comfortable than a G10 or Micarta handle of the same finish and geometry. I have been leaning toward SureTouch as my favorite material lately. In my opinion, it is hands down the best choice for a chopper. It's also a bit more expensive than regular G10.
Pretty interesting....have you ever tried to contour nested g-10 flat scales such as a PM2 or Para3?

I prefer coarse textured G10 for maximum grip.

Micarta is fine, I have a few knives with micarta handles. Based on "feel" I regard micarta as "synthetic wood".

When it comes to knife handles "looks" isn't a concern for me. Grip, and how it feels in my hand are my biggest factors.

I have both as handle material. I enjoy both.
I think I enjoy Micarta more. It feels warmer in hand.

I seem to have more folders in G10.

Micarta feels nicer in my hand than does G10, simple as that. My favorite set of Micarta scales is the TRM Burlap Wing set that I have on a TRM Atom. It is so nice.

Pretty interesting....have you ever tried to contour nested g-10 flat scales such as a PM2 or Para3?

If you mean the factory scales, there'd be nothing left after. And if you mean have I machine scales and contoured them, no. I do everything by hand, and cutting out the liner relief is not something I am eager to do by hand any time soon.

G-10 is probably my least favorite material. Most of the time, it is just too rough of texture in my opinion. Tears up pockets, etc. I prefer full CF (not the laminate stuff), micarta, and wood. I have a tenuous relationship with metal. I've come to avoid carrying them in the winter if I'm going to spending anytime outdoors. I used to walk a good distance to my garage at my old apartment, and wearing slacks with a 6oz piece of metal in my pocket in -10 degrees F was not enjoyable. However, a lightweight automatic in aluminum (aluminium for you reject brits) isn't going to press up against me like a heavy Ti folder will, so they get a pass.

As someone with adhd and anxiety, I frequently take my knife in and out of my pocket to fiddle with it throughout the day. If a knife has good ergonomics, smooth scales cause no issues. I might like G-10 better if I was using it in wet conditions or wearing gloves.

Yes you can sand down G-10 and all of that, but it looks boring to me too.

The thing about micarta, it comes in different textures and materials. For example, my PM2 has burlap micarta scales and they are smooth but feel nice. My Yojimbo 2 has canvas micarta scales, and have a rougher, more tactile texture, almost but not quite what the standard scales had.

Micarta, depending on the source material, can be lighter too, which is always a bonus in my book. As mentioned in another thread, the burlap micarta scales and titanium clip reduced the weight of my PM2 from 3.75oz to 3.45oz.

YMMV.

understand the luv for micarta
but honestly
i find g 10 is largely trouble free
in terms of after care..
but for slight discoloration at times
which can be easily fixed.
for prolonged use, issues concerning
hard, rough surface texture
can be mitigated with a pair of gloves..
just my 2 cents.

Cold Steel builds many models of very strong folders with only linerless G-10 as handles .

Micarta feels nicer maybe , with some finishes , and might be more classy , but is not as strong or clean a material .

Still, I like both ! :cool: :thumbsup:

I really like the feel of Micarta better but my problem in making a choice is that the quality of G10 and Micarta varies by a very wide range. I really would like more information on how to tell what grade of g10 or micarta is most desirable and how to insure the better grades are used on your knife. I have also read a thread from an expert knife maker that stated there is a lot of garbage carbon fiber floating around the market too.

When done right all of these materials are superb.

I also prefer a metal handle......titanium or aluminum. G10 would be my second choice.
I do not own on a knife with micarta handles and I am not interested in getting one.

I prefer micarta over any other material followed by antler!!!
It just feels lively.to me whereas g10 feels blah!
Just remember. Opinions are like armpits,.everybody got em' & they all stink!!šŸ˜µ

In terms of functionality, Iā€™m happy with either.

but I prefer the look and feel of Micarta.

Back