G. Ibberson & CO Yachtsman Knife (New in the box?)

One of my more recent knifes. This one is made by G. Ibberson & CO. I'm led to believe it's manufacture dates back to the early seventies.
-Bruce
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Hi Bruce, now please forgive me for my inexperience here my friend, the loop next to that neat blade ..what is the actual use of this?...is it something to do with rope tying?
Duncan

It is a shackle key Duncan. A loosening tool. A couple shown here are a stand alone tool, presumably with a lanyard hole of sorts, and will have a bottle cap lifter... some with a marlin spike built in.

shackle-key-44331.jpg

287096.jpg

I'd like to get a better description of how it works on a shackle. Not being a Yachtsman, I've never used one.

The goal is to turn the pin out of the shackle to open it and place or remove rope, lots of marine shackles have pulley wheels for rope to go around. From my limited knowledge, depending on desperation level,ha. The slot is used to twist flattened area of pin. If the pin hole is big enough, I am sure some spike ends get poked in the hole to do the same thing. But, to undo knots the marlisnspike that is 'buggered' up on the end is not your friend.
300Bucks

captive-pin-d-stainless.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Hal & 300Bucks. That's more than I knew about it. All I knew was the blade is for cutting, and the Marlin Spike is for undoing knots in rope, but had no idea what the Shackle Tool was for. :)
-Bruce

I used to have one but gave it to a friend as he really liked it. Mine had a very slightly serrated blade. Good knife.

d8c3_1.jpg

Well, A guy offered me fifty bucks for it today. I'm tempted to take it as it's just been sitting in the drawer.
I probably paid more for it though, but I don't remember. :rolleyes:
-Bruce

Back