1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

G. Ibberson & CO Yachtsman Knife (New in the box?)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Ballenxj, May 28, 2011.

1. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    One of my more recent knifes. This one is made by G. Ibberson & CO. I'm led to believe it's manufacture dates back to the early seventies.
    -Bruce
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    wow that's something not often seen, thanks dennis

3. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    It certainly isn't. Thanks for the reply. :)
    -Bruce

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hi Bruce, now please forgive me for my inexperience here my friend, the loop next to that neat blade ..what is the actual use of this?...is it something to do with rope tying?
    Duncan

5. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    It is a shackle key Duncan. A loosening tool. A couple shown here are a stand alone tool, presumably with a lanyard hole of sorts, and will have a bottle cap lifter... some with a marlin spike built in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to get a better description of how it works on a shackle. Not being a Yachtsman, I've never used one.

6. 300Bucks

300Bucks Moderator Moderator

Apr 19, 2005
    The goal is to turn the pin out of the shackle to open it and place or remove rope, lots of marine shackles have pulley wheels for rope to go around. From my limited knowledge, depending on desperation level,ha. The slot is used to twist flattened area of pin. If the pin hole is big enough, I am sure some spike ends get poked in the hole to do the same thing. But, to undo knots the marlisnspike that is 'buggered' up on the end is not your friend.
    300Bucks

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks Hal & 300Bucks. That's more than I knew about it. All I knew was the blade is for cutting, and the Marlin Spike is for undoing knots in rope, but had no idea what the Shackle Tool was for. :)
    -Bruce

8. jacknife

jacknife

Jan 3, 2001
    I used to have one but gave it to a friend as he really liked it. Mine had a very slightly serrated blade. Good knife.

[​IMG]

9. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you very much for that Hal, and 300 Bucks, fantastic information :thumbup:

10. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, A guy offered me fifty bucks for it today. I'm tempted to take it as it's just been sitting in the drawer.
    I probably paid more for it though, but I don't remember. :rolleyes:
    -Bruce