G-shock Why?

Ok I don't mean to hurt feelings or anything. But why on earth to people buy g-shock watches? They are ungodly ugly and look like the 5 dollars watches I got when I was a little kid. I see people trading them on forums or facebook sales. Trying to act as if they have something nice. Am I missing something about these watches? I just don't understand why anyone would want something like that.

I could understand the watch for something like that. But most people I see are not construction workers. They are wearing them out like they are "bling".
I could understand having a cheap durable watch for work. But besides that to people actually think they are nice looking? Once again I really don't mean to hurt feelings, I am seriously clueless about what all the hype is for.

exactly. they are very hard to break. an some of the higher priced ones do look good. the 80 $ one doesn't look like some cheap ol watch at all. unless your a high fancy Rolex boy. but in the field. these watch are useful an indestructible. I love mine an have been wearing it for 2 years. never let me down.

Some of the girly plastic ones might be a little weird looking but GShocks are the best in my opinion for the money.. Rugged and last forever I own a lot of watches and a few gshocks and I love them...

6xOFNXn.jpg

But why on earth to people buy g-shock watches? They are ungodly ugly and look like the 5 dollars watches I got when I was a little kid.

Because tastes differ, and many people do not think they are ugly at all. They look industrial. They don't look like any cheap watches I got when I was a kid.

I don't have one, but I do like the analog watches.

Can you tell us what you do like so we can better understand?

I wondered "why" for a long time too. I finally, at 42, caved in to the pressure of my peer group (firefighters), and bought one.
And another one for off-duty. And another one for dress up. And another one for one of my hobbies. And 2 for graduation gifts.

In some ways, my G-shock experience is similar to what many people experience w/ Spyderco's. WHY? WHY? SO UGLY!!
Oh. That's why!! Must have more!!!

In either my job or my recreational activities I'm always banging my watch around or submerging it in water. That's what G-shock is known for.... being extremely durable and waterproof. When it gets dirty I can put it under a faucet and use a tooth brush to clean it with soap and water.

I have other watches that I wear when I go out, but my G-shock is my work horse. If you work in an office all day and don't do any sports.... you won't appreciate it nor would you understand why people like these watches.

As for people who wear them as if they're "high end watches"..... you have to understand that just like knives, it's purely subjective. To a non-knife person, a $30 knife is expensive. To a non-watch person, a $150 watch is considered expensive. So just because you wear a $20,000 watch and that's what you would consider nice.... to your average person who isn't into watches, the $150 G-shock they have on is creme of the crop.

G-Shock?

- syncs with the atomic clock in Colorado, the radio system set up and operated by NIST -- the National Institute of Standards and Technology, located in Boulder, Colorado. NIST operates radio station WWVB, which is the station that transmits the time codes. This means that when I look at my watch, I know exactly what time it is. Try that with a Rolex.
- solar powered, and no battery to replace. And unlike an auto, it won't stop running if you ignore it.
- my flavor has a barometer, which tells me when I am about to feel woozy. Also a thermometer and all of the other gadgetry you might expect.
- never doesn't work; close to indestructible.
- big and manly enough to intimidate guys who wear sissy watches.

I like my Seiko Orange Monster and Black Monster, and wouldn't mind having that $10K Rolex that CM just bought. But for me, the G-Shock is one of those rare watches that makes me forget about all of the other watches out there.

:thumbup:

I don't think they're ugly but the faces are a little busy for me. I prefer Timex Ironman watches with large number displays.

They are built to take a freaking beating and keep on chugging. I don't own one but almost picked one up but instead got one of the cheaper citizens eco-drives BM8180-03E and I have been beating the crap out of that watch for awhile and it's been holding it good. Easy to read face is also a huge plus, along with it not being big and bulky.

I have a g-shock classic and it's a pretty nice watch. Took a beating during high school

The only watch I couldn't destroy, being in the trades you need a tough, easy to use watch that will hold up to the rigors of construction work.

but will it blend?

I have a g-shock classic and it's a pretty nice watch. Took a beating during high school

but will it blend?

I ran a jackhammer for 6 months everyday and the G Shock, one of the first ones that came out, took the abuse. Before this I ruined 4 watches and taking my watch off before starting work became routine till someone suggested a G Shock.

I ran a jackhammer for 6 months everyday and the G Shock, one of the first ones that came out, took the abuse. Before this I ruined 4 watches and taking my watch off before starting work became routine till someone suggested a G Shock.

That's probably the best recommendation I've ever read from an actual user. You just can't get much better than that as far as durability is concerned.

I've been wearing this inexpensive G Shock exclusively at work for a couple weeks. I leave it in my locker at work and I put it on when I get there. I have a nicer anolog watch for other occasions but yes, I do like the looks of my G Shock. Esav was spot on when he said they look industrial. Perfect for warehouse work and it's nice to know that it will likely hold up to much greater abuse than I will ever subject it to.

Just my opinion but I do think it's a nice looking watch.

As far as looks go, G-Shock has got an impossible array of sizes and styles. Find one that works for you and buy it. If you go looking for a "better" one, it could take all year. :D

Unless you really need to cheap out, get a tough solar. No worrying about setting, always exact time, and it will take the punishment.

Personally, I wear a Black Monster. It fits my personality.

nosferatu.jpg

I guess it just is not my style, the watches I have are Nixon, bullova, guess, express.mostly more dressy watches. I am getting an Oakley gearbox soon.

The one I have is atomic, completely solar, supposedly waterproof to 600 feet or so and also rated for high shock-stress related activities, like chopping wood or using a chainsaw, things that would almost assuredly destroy a lesser watch. Pretty much about durability for me, although I think the look is also quite sexy in an industrial, utilitarian way. The display on mine could be a little easier to read, but that's the trade-off you get for a solar watch, they're a bit dimmer.

Plus it's a 150 dollar watch I got as a gift so I'm not complaining. :p

Back