G-shock Why?

Here is an awesome reason for G-Shock.

Today I was in a really nasty bathroom, blood on the toilet seat toilet unflushed freaking gross! right well I hear a thud I look over and it's my G-Shock on the floor some how it came undone and fell on the floor, it could have easily fell in the toilet, in which case I would have been like....well you been a good watch but not for a 80 dollar watch am I going to put my arm in that toilet, a Rolex.....yuck I would have been digging LOL fortunately it landed on a pretty clean chunk of tile and I recovered it.

so there you go, nice enough to wear and use but cheap enough to leave it where it falls if need be.

It has been a very long time since I last looked at G-Shocks, so I did some research. I am shocked. $3850 for a Casio G-Shock. :eek:
You gotta be kidding me. I saw some for only $1000. The last time a looked an expensive one was $69.95.

Here is an awesome reason for G-Shock.

Today I was in a really nasty bathroom, blood on the toilet seat toilet unflushed freaking gross! right well I hear a thud I look over and it's my G-Shock on the floor some how it came undone and fell on the floor, it could have easily fell in the toilet, in which case I would have been like....well you been a good watch but not for a 80 dollar watch am I going to put my arm in that toilet, a Rolex.....yuck I would have been digging LOL fortunately it landed on a pretty clean chunk of tile and I recovered it.

so there you go, nice enough to wear and use but cheap enough to leave it where it falls if need be.
This doesn't convince me to get a Gshock. It implies to me that their straps aren't dependable.

Strong light accurate cheap no battery autosyc time I forget of it and I know it'll be OK when needed
:p

I'm glad to know they've improved their straps. I remember back in the 80s I went through lots of the rubber/silicon straps because they'd rot and crack. I've Crazy Glued several together to keep me going back in the day. (Living in the Caribbean back in the pre-internet days, replacement straps were hard to come by). Also had that happen to a 5600 where the rubber around the face rotted and peeled off. That's one of the reasons I bought a stainless steel strap for my current G.

I'm glad to know they've improved their straps. I remember back in the 80s I went through lots of the rubber/silicon straps because they'd rot and crack. I've Crazy Glued several together to keep me going back in the day. (Living in the Caribbean back in the pre-internet days, replacement straps were hard to come by). Also had that happen to a 5600 where the rubber around the face rotted and peeled off. That's one of the reasons I bought a stainless steel strap for my current G.
I Had to replace an 80s rubber watch band within months of receiving the watch.

I Had to replace an 80s rubber watch band within months of receiving the watch.

I've bought my dad 3 5600s over the years. the first two had the bands break and the 2nd is the one I referred to previously that had the rubber on the actual watch rot and break off. I just sent him his third one last year. I hope it lasts a bit longer.

The weakest link on the GShock was the springbars. The watch could be ripped off your wrist. Has Casio fixed that?

That's a problem with most watches, isn't it?
Yes, but on most watches they don't pop the way the would on a GShock. That was a problem with the GShock (crap springbars and crap engagement with the case logs). Is it still a problem?

Always amazed me Casio would make such a tough watch with such crappy springbars and springbar engagement with the lugs. More than once have I seen a soldier ruck up and pop his GShock of his wrist.

I own a G-Shock GWA1100-1A3 gravity Defier . it's meant for jet fighter pilots. cost me $500 built like a tank and I love it. lets see a Rolex take the same beating or sync to the atomic clock or be solar powered or have a built in compass function. for some of us it's function over form for other we like the way it looks. I also own a pathfinder paw1500gb-1

all I know is that if I became a billionaire tomorrow I would still wear casio watches. I don't want a namby pamby watch that will scratch if I look at it wrong.

Last edited:
for some of us it's function over form...
Which is precisely why many choose automatic watches with verifiably tough movements in tough cases. That's the entire reason behind Seiko's c. 7s26 and Rolex's c. 157X automatic movements (particularly when either is in a divers case).

not knocking automatics. I just choose casios with atomic timekeeping because I've become OCD about that since I got my pathfinder

though I do want a automatic for a SHTF watch that doesn't rely on electronics

You'll see guys say that when they see a man wearing a Rolex, they instantly know what kind of man he is.
When you see a man wearing a G-Shock, you instantly know what kind of man he is.
G-Shock is the only tactical watch.
When you see a man wearing a G-Shock, you know that he flosses his teeth with paracord; you know that he knows his way around every weapon ever made; you know that he can build a shelter for 17 with a SAK, in the desert, in 24 minutes; he shaves with a Strider; all of he pants are light brown; he only drives 4 wheel drive stick shift vehicles; he eats his steak rare; he never whines about heat, cold, mosquitoes, or poison oak; he can replace a head gasket blindfolded; he'll be wearing 5.11 Tactical boxers and socks at his funeral; his tactical sunglasses have kydex frames; he can tell a 5/16" socket from a 1/4" by touch, while wearing Mechanix gloves; he can do 60 pull-ups in a minute; he can go from dead sleep to fully clothed in less time than it takes you to hit the snooze button; he doesn't need a sleeping bag, or a tent, unless it's snowing; he can shower in under 2 minutes; he can track a deer for miles in the dark; and all the extra dials and gauges let everyone know how important and intelligent he is.
I don't own one, but I'm thinking about getting one.

You've got me pegged... :D:cool:

Proudly rocking a G-shock 3230, over a year of moderately hard service and still going. Plus, it was an anniversary gift from my wife so it's got sentiment attached to it. :thumbup:

While I enjoy the idea of a higher end watche (not disimilar to my stance on high end knives) I couldn't bear the thought of wearing something expensive on my wrist that I knew would get scratched up beat up pretty much immediately...

the only non casio watch I wear is a MTM SPECIAL OPS Vulture and that's made of titanium and meant for military use

lync.jpg

built in UV and led lights
kmz6.jpg

I bought this Casio nearly 30 years ago at the Fort Campbell Military Clothing Sales Store when it was still in an old WW2 shotgun clapboard building. Rarely ever wear it any more.

Casio DW340 Dive Watch
DW340.JPG

O man i forgot about G-shock's. I was given one when I was like 15 it lasted till I was about 22-23 man tough as nails. It did finally break cant remember how but I was rediculous through those years. metal shows skate boarding, kill the carrier lol had alot of fun. HUH I think I might buy a new one.

Back