G10 Harpy?

I've always wanted to try a serrated hawkbill but never cared for the slick stainless scales of the standard Harpy.

Today I impulse bought a sprint run G10 model but I don't really know anything about it.

Can one of you Spyderco experts fill me in on the details of what I just bought?

There is/was a G10 harpy. It was not a sprint run, just normal production. Long discontinued, only available in serrated edge black G10.

They are good knives if you like hawkbills. But somethings not right here. The G10 harpy never had VG10 steel. ( Japan market may have continued with VG10)

Last edited:
My g10 has ats55 IIRC. Great knife, be careful of the tip, you can mess it up with abuse. It is a great self defense knife, since it is purpose built as a tool, it is not legally a "dirk/dagger" and it is under 3". I've had mine since it came out and it has held up great. It was not popular, and many were let go at deep discount though SMKW, they showed up at gun shows for a number of years afterwards.

It was my first spyderco folder, before that, i bought spyderco kitchen knives and an american flag Q for my gal.

Last edited:
As it turns out, the seller was mistaken and the blade is ATS-55, not VG-10 as he told me initially.

Also, I guess I should have insisted on pictures as I've now found out the clip is tip down only, which I don't like at all.

As it turns out, the seller was mistaken and the blade is ATS-55, not VG-10 as he told me initially.

Also, I guess I should have insisted on pictures as I've now found out the clip is tip down only, which I don't like at all.
If you want it as a user, you can probably find someone to drill and tap it for tip up carry.

Tip up was very popular at the time. This knife can be "popped" open in a heartbeat.b the handle falls right into your palm.

Got the Harpy in today. It is in fact ATS-55 and looks like an older model. Any idea when this variation was produced?

It's in excellent condition other than the obvious paint wear on the clip. The guy I bought it from told me that he never really used the knife. He bought it to carry when he was flying on work trips back in the day. He said it was basically the nastiest weapon he could carry under FAA guidelines pre 9/11. It has been sitting in a drawer ever since.

It's a very cool knife. It feels so much better in the hand than the stainless version and so much more solid than the Tasman Salt.

I've got to say though, I can't really see myself carrying it for anything besides unzipping some bad guy's torso. It seems like it would work exceedingly well at that task.

Anyone know if Spyderco will send or sell me a new clip?

8ca6303c088bcd43a869e3141db7d2ca_zps99e2b3cd.jpg

0b851af097d9a7dc57c3afaddd428518_zpsce11eec5.jpg

Carry it for a week and you will be suprised at how useful it is. Not the best knife for fruit, but it works. It opens mail, boxes, seat belts, but yes, you may have trouble battoning wood...but who relly needs to :)

A clip with character says "tool" not weapon.

Got the Harpy in today. It is in fact ATS-55 and looks like an older model. Any idea when this variation was produced?
Anyone know if Spyderco will send or sell me a new clip?
They were made from '97 to '99 and the clip was used on quite a few models from that era and was used on the SS Harpy until fairly recently. Can't guarantee they still have them, but it's certainly worth giving them a call on Monday and asking.

Long out of production as mentioned...a better (and easier to obtain) choice today would be the Tasman Salt, especially in Spyderedge. Better steel than ATS55 and lighter as well.

The Tasman is lighter but it also has a thinner blade, plastic scales and no liners. This is a MUCH more solid feeling knife and obviously stronger. In my experience ATS-55 also holds an edge much longer than H1.

Back