g10 vs micarta

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
I've got a GSO 5.1 headed my way with G10 handles. I'm familiar with Swamp Rat's G10 vs Micarta, but wondering if S!K is any different. Basically, slicker than micarta when wet or bloody? What's the consensus on S!K G10? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think G10 is G10. I prefer it to micarta because micarta is like a sponge. It soaks up everything. I hate the idea of all that "stuff" germinating in my handle.

Their G10 is significantly slicker than their canvas micarta. I cannot speak to their linen micarta, though.

I have a 5.1 in g10. I also have a 5.1 in Micarta on the way. I'll let you know my thoughts when my Micarta one comes in.

Thanks fellas. Badey, I'd like to hear that side-by-side comparison when it gets there.

Could anyone compare the smoothness of S!K G10 to Becker zytel? I know they are very different materials, but is the surface feel anything alike?

I have a GSO 4.1 with G10 and one with micarta, with use they both get wet, but never felt either one slippery or grippier than another. When grabbed dry, I can see how the micarta feels like it has more friction. In gloves I can't even tell.

I've come across some slick g10, but this stuff feels pretty nice.

There are three kinds of Micarta and the traction starts with paper Micarta being the least grippy, Linen Micarta is in the Middle and the best for hard use knife handles and grippiest is Canvas Micarta.

I use to leave Canvas Micarta at a 180-220 grit finish. The handles give great traction.

I became very sensitive to the Formaldehyde that's released when you work micarta and don't use it anymore.
So if you do any sanding on any Micarta, Wear a good respirator.

I have a GSO 4.1 with G10 and one with micarta, with use they both get wet, but never felt either one slippery or grippier than another. When grabbed dry, I can see how the micarta feels like it has more friction. In gloves I can't even tell.

I've come across some slick g10, but this stuff feels pretty nice.

Our G10 isn't super polished. We want to avoid the "bar of soap" feel as much as possible. But it is still G10. Personally, I don't trust myself with the stuff. I'm way too clumsy, haha.

Hi Ellie, thanks for posting. I received my 5.1 today from another forum member and must say the G10 is very nice. Definitely not as slick as some I've had in the past from other makers. I think I'll get along with it just fine. Can't wait to put this thing through the paces--it feels great in the hand! :)

Our G10 isn't super polished. We want to avoid the "bar of soap" feel as much as possible. But it is still G10. Personally, I don't trust myself with the stuff. I'm way too clumsy, haha.

Haham great way to put it. That's what I was trying to get at, there's a definitively more abraded feel on my GSO than other G10 from other makers. I dig it. Works great when work gets slippery

G10 is defiantly slicker than canvas micarta. I really like Guy's canvas micarta handles they are tacky dry or wet. They are tackier than Bark River's matte canvas micarta handles and on par with ESEE's micarta but with more color options. Personally I don't like G10 because it's a little too slick for me. However I am finding that after some time the canvas micarta scales will get slick with use. You just need to clean them with warm water and soap. Josh from Survive! suggested using Dawn.

I think survive got it just right with their G10 with my GSO 4.1 at least. Dan Eastland's work on G10 is probably my only other favorite for hardness, texture, and traction when wet as far as G10 goes. Blind horse would probably be my 3rd. I do a lot of food prep, so finish really counts in terms of "tackiness" or "slipperiness" is more a safety concern than comfort. I do see how it's not for everyone though, I've handled some G10 that was like sticking your hand in a honey jar and some as slick as zytel. In which case, yea Survive! micarta is hard to beat. I was personally not a fan of micarta until S!K's lineup. Did anyone on here pick up one of those special "witness" 4.1's? Or has anyone modded their own stabalized wood scales on a GSO? I've been wanting to try my hand at making some soon. My camera rigs out for the week for work, but if I get some time this weekend I'll get some macro shots of both 4.1's.

Hopefully these show a little bit of the texture
PPYhACnl.jpg

81hSHNBl.jpg

CkbKRhal.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, B34NS for the insight and pics!

You would say S!K G10 is grippier than zytel?

I think I'm sold on some black G10 with stainless fasteners.

Thanks!

I would say it's more of a lightly rubberized feel than more plasticy zytel. Hopefully that helps. Although I have 4 other S!K's all in micarta though because I liked it so much.

That'd be one nice blade!

That answer is indeed helpful, B34NS. Purchasing a tool online can be weird without ever getting to hold it.

The blue liners on the dogwood look really nice!

I think G10 is G10. I prefer it to micarta because micarta is like a sponge. It soaks up everything. I hate the idea of all that "stuff" germinating in my handle.

I've been known to dunk the canvas micarta handles of my knives in rubbing alcohol a couple of times a year for just this very reason....

I just got my Micarta handled 5.1 today. I would say that the G10 seems a bit slicker, but not much. I really can't tell much of a difference at all.

My Micarta handle was pretty smooth (smoother than I was expecting, but I really like it smooth). I like the look of it better than the G10; the G10 looks nice, but the brown canvas Micarta looks amazing!

Back