G19 or M&P compact 2.0?

Check out the NEW Glock 45 (Gen5) which is a G17 frame with G19 slide.

IIRC this is the G17X. I was going to say that there are only 2 things better than the G19- one is the G17X, the other is the G23. Of course this is just my opinion. The Glock grip frame and grip angle don't work for everybody. I'm a little suspicious of the M&P after my experience with the M&P Shield.

IIRC this is the G17X. I was going to say that there are only 2 things better than the G19- one is the G17X, the other is the G23. Of course this is just my opinion. The Glock grip frame and grip angle don't work for everybody. I'm a little suspicious of the M&P after my experience with the M&P Shield.

It doesn't have the grip of the "X". Its a normal length 17 grip. Its says G45?

Handled them both a million times, showed and sold them to a lot of customers, shot both on several occasions. The Glocks and M&P are both fantastic handguns. No malfunctions that weren't ammo caused, both are plenty accurate and supported by the aftermarket. Equal in every way. In the compact game, I do prefer the 19, but I prefer the fullsize 2.0 over the Glock 17.

S&W pros: more aggressive grip texture, arguably more ergonomic grip angle, and I prefer the takedown lever as opposed to glocks method. Out of box has better sights and trigger than the standard glock 19.

Glock 19: comes standard with 3 mags (2.0 has 2) magazines seem cheaper from what I've seen, some stores will sell different versions of the 19 with factory or Ameriglo night sights, grip texture is less aggressive. Might be important of you're ever going to carry it IWB.

You really can't go wrong either way. Congratulations on the new gat, I'm sure you'll love it no matter what follows you home!

Both are good. If possible shoot both and decide which you like better.

If you want more after market/holster/etc. options, go with the Glock. The G19 has been one of the very best of the CCW pistols for a long time.

If you want to keep it relatively stock and the better warranty, go with S&W. Most will probably find the ergos superior.

You might take a look at Canik...they're making some really high value pistols in the that arena as well.

Boss

I will say the M&P feels excellent in the hand, while the glock feels like a brick. Part of why I didn't want another glock. My caracal had excellent ergos and was quite accurate. But in the end it's how well it shoots for a specific individual that matters.

Another vote for rent them at the range and go with what you prefer shooting. Personally, over the last 20 years I've rented/shot the 17, 23, 20, 21, 43, and 26. I just never could bring myself to purchase one, as I just found I liked alternatives better for my own reasons.

I purchased an M&P 2.0 and sold my Glocks. Everything I wanted the Glock to be was there in the 2.0. That said the Glock is a fine weapon as well

Little different perspective. As a custom holster maker I make probably 30-40 to 1 holsters for a Glock over the Smith. Just kinda a feeling for whats out there. Glock 19 is by far the most common Glock I make holsters for, followed by the 43 probably. For the Smith far and away the Shield. Completely unscientific measure of what others think I guess. Fact a friend called up yesterday that was taking a CCW class today and wanted to know if we had one built up for a 19. We did and I left it on the front porch for him as we were leaving. I assume he got it as its gone.

Horsewright Horsewright

Dave one redeeming thing about the M&P is the .45 has a smaller grip, I have small hands and have no problems with trigger reach, etc. It was a good choice back in the day when I could handle the recoil. My days of shooting heavier calibers is pretty much done, due to issues with my hands/elbows. I would love to see a 19 sized single stack, that would be a soft shooter with a trigger reach I could handle. I have a 43 but don't particularly like it, the 19 is pretty close to a perfect sized pistol for a 9mm.

JB in SC JB in SC Gotcha. Didn't much like my 43 at first either. Loved carrying it but didn't like shooting it. I was trying to shoot it like a semi auto, pinched my finger and didn't shoot it well at all. Then one day I just started shooting it like a J frame double action and voila now I like shooting it and shoot it very well indeed. Every day, all day:

Js6wIa6.jpg

KvixgAH.jpg

One of the primary attractions for me of the G19 is the sheer firepower afforded by the capacity to accept the larger capacity 9mm double stack mags , even the 30 rd standard clips . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

With the single stack 42 and 43 you almost may as well carry a wheel gun ! :confused:

Horsewright Horsewright

Dave one redeeming thing about the M&P is the .45 has a smaller grip, I have small hands and have no problems with trigger reach, etc. It was a good choice back in the day when I could handle the recoil. My days of shooting heavier calibers is pretty much done, due to issues with my hands/elbows. I would love to see a 19 sized single stack, that would be a soft shooter with a trigger reach I could handle. I have a 43 but don't particularly like it, the 19 is pretty close to a perfect sized pistol for a 9mm.

I primarily shoot Glock, but I had the newer Springfield XDs Mod2 in .45. It was extremly light on recoil. My 72 yo dad shot it and thought it was great too, and he'd never shot a .45 before.

I started shooting with a glock 17, the rest is history. I carry a glock 26, on a nice thick gun belt. The glock trigger is crisp clean break that many people like including myself. Glocks are easy to work on and upgrade. Lots of videos on YouTube to help with modifications if that’s something your interested in.

Back