• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Ganzofan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb>

Gold Member
I've never posted something like this before. This has been a pretty solid community, and I've never had an issue with buying or selling here.

My main reason for posting this is hoping it will prevent this particular knife from being offered here again. And I would like to share some details as a warning for others.

The short story is Ganzofan tried to sell me a fake Spyderco Civilian. He tried to assure me he had researched it, and measured it and it was legit. I am certain it is a fake.

He agreed to take it back and refund me. The knife was delivered to his mailbox Monday afternoon. By Wednesday, I still had received no refund and no communication. So I posted to the dispute claim in Paypal, and he responded that I had damaged the knife, but only wanted his shipping cost covered (huh?). I did not use or damage the knife, but at this point I don't care anymore and want to be done. I accepted the refund offer Thursday morning. More than 24 hrs later on Friday afternoon, still no refund, and no communication.

So in summary, 4 days waiting for a promised refund, with general bad attitude and insults along the way. I had to call Paypal to get my money today.

If there's any question as to this being fake or not, I have a proposal for Ganzofan to settle it with certainty.

I hope this knife will not be posted for sale again. If you can't judge for yourself from the grind alone, I have more pictures and details I can share if it matters.

KK1O80S.jpg

I have to agree that looks like an VERY fishy example of a fake. As in, one quick comparison look on the Spyderco website could have told the entire story anyone needed to know. Did you ask for pictures at any point before the transaction?

EDIT: What I mean to say is, he should have had knowledge of what he was selling.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. That story does not paint a good picture.
Have you advised him of this thread? Would like to hear his side of the story. At least you got almost all of your money back.

I have to agree that looks like an VERY fishy example of a fake. As in, one quick comparison look on the Spyderco website could have told the entire story anyone needed to know. Did you ask for pictures at any point before the transaction?

EDIT: What I mean to say is, he should have had knowledge of what he was selling.

The picture I posted was initially in the sales thread along with the clip side.

In hindsight I obviously should have checked the pictures more carefully. But I was at work, it looked like a good deal, he had solid feedback and I took a shot in good faith.

When I went to look later and the pictures were gone I requested them, and the red flags started popping up.

It was certainly a lapse in judgement on my part, not having shopped this model before.

He emailed the pics and I compared them to the catalogue pic. It didn't look right, so I requested that he not ship the knife so we could avoid all this. He had made a bee line to the post office right after I requested the pictures and it was too late.

Yyyeeeaaah the ol', "You damaged [by cutting the tape on the delivery box] the knife" defense. I've had this one happen to me a couple times, albeit not with a fake.

"He tried to assure me he had researched it, and measured it and it was legit. I am certain it is a fake. He agreed to take it back and refund me. The knife was delivered to his mailbox Monday afternoon. By Wednesday, I still had received no refund and no communication. So I posted to the dispute claim in Paypal, and he responded that I had damaged the knife, but only wanted his shipping cost covered (huh?)." Ban?

Ignorance and sophistry are worlds apart. Sounds guilty.

NOTE: read email chain, OP send original payment as goods & services, and he mentioned that I will be covered when asking me to pay him in goods & services to buy my knife back. So OP knew all along he was covered under paypal goods & services therefore his plea of ignorance to paypal coverage in this thread is FALSE.

Wow, interesting, let me tell my side of the story and I have all the email communications to back up everything I say.

Here's the events in chronological order, this was drama packed and the OP have misrepresented many facts here:

I posted my for sale thread with the above picture the OP posted, he said he'll take it and send payment. OP then asked me where I obtained the knife and wanted additional pictures. I informed OP that I'm not the original owner and the knife was bought from a local cop as a part of a package deal with 4 other Spydercos and send OP additional pictures.

Hours went by without any additional response from OP and I shipped the knife and updated tracking info on paypal.

Shortly after I updated tracking information OP send email to me stating based on the pictures he concluded my Spyderco Civilian was a fake and wanted a refund. Understandably I was upset for being called a fake seller and defended the accusation against me and told OP to just send the knife back to me and I'll refund him minus my shipping cost which was about $4.

OP then accused me of lying and said I only created a label and have not shipped the knife, OP also said it would be better for me to just issue him to refund. I send OP a picture of the time stamped cash register receipt with tracking information from USPS and did not hear back from OP.

In the mean time I noticed the OP posted my pictures in the Spyderco Forum asking if it's a fake, responders expressed that it looks real. Here's a link to that discussion:
https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75223

The tracking number shows the knife was delivered to OP on 07/03, OP could of refused package delivery and send it back without incurring any shipping cost to himself which he did not.

Also on 07/03 OP send me an email stating he examined and believe my knife was a fake and wants me to issue him a refund BEFORE he would send my knife back. I declined and stated I will accept a return and issue refund under the same transaction.

OP then asked me to issue a regular paypal payment to him in the same amount to buy my knife back. I again declined because I already agreed to the return and was upset at the constant flip flop, false assumptions and accusations. Also I'm not sure what the OP is up to with all the back and forth he's done on this sale so far but it didn't feel right.

OP then said all kinds of exasperated expressions in disbelieve at my refusal at his two outrageous demands. I again told the OP that I will accept a regular return and will not conduct any of the funny business he's suggested so far.

OP then filed a claim with paypal alleging in addition of "item not as described" that I tried to go outside of paypal for the return when I was the one who tried to stay within paypal. So naturally I got more pissed.

OP received the knife on 07/03 but did not mail it until 07/08.

I received the knife back on 07/10 but noticed the very fine tip of my knife was damaged and bent. It looks like it was used for test cuts.

I contacted OP on 07/12 advising him that I'm not happy and noticed the usage on my knife, but I will issue him the full refund minus $4 for my shipping. I issued a refund offer for the whole amount minus $4, I would of issued the full refund if my knife was unused. I'm simply unhappy with the usage of my knife and the series of events so far on this transaction as well as the accusations leveled against me so I wanted OP to own up to the original agreement and pay for shipping.

The OP on 07/13 stated he did not use the knife and accepted the refund amount and agreed to pay my shipping cost of $4.

The OP on 07/14 flip flopped again and escalated a claim with paypal reversing his prior acceptance of my refund offer and paypal issued back the entire amount back to OP not withholding the $4.

Please see below the screen shot of emails & paypal claim events.

2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png
paypal.png

Last edited:
"I informed OP that I'm not the original owner and the knife was bought from a local cop as a part of a package deal with 4 other Spydercos and send OP additional pictures...Shortly after I updated tracking information OP send email to me stating based on the pictures he concluded my Spyderco Civilian was a fake and wanted a refund. Understandably I was upset for being called a fake seller and defended the accusation against me and told OP to just send the knife back to me and I'll refund him minus my shipping cost which was about $4."

You do understand that hearsay from a cop does not equate to you (the seller) having righteous knowledge
regarding the secondhand item, correct?

Telling the buyer A cop sold it to me, and then deciding you're character is under personal attack because the guy decides he wants a refund for what he suspects might not be a legit item...you lost me already.

"Who should be banned? Seriously!" My man, you did see the ?question mark?, and you do understand the use of italic font on the word, "Sounds," right? Not to mention my word around here is beyond insignificant; I'm sure you're still safe until the real judge, jury and executioner show up.

There's two sides (at least) to every story. I'm not siding with either one of you, but your rebuttal has only muddied the waters.

I have no dog in this particular fight. I only chimed in because I myself and undoubtedly others here have been involved in similar transactions. I sincerely hope the two of you come to some sort of mutual understanding.

Sounds like both sides should have taken a deep breath...
Yes. The internet era. :rolleyes: Now, NOW, NOW!!!

Reactions: Mo2
You do understand that hearsay from a cop does not equate to you (the seller) having righteous knowledge regarding the secondhand item, correct?

Telling the buyer A cop sold it to me, and then deciding you're character is under personal attack because the guy decides he wants a refund for what he suspects might not be a legit item...you lost me already.

Sounds like you're taking side because like you said you have gotten a bad deal which hardly make you impartial.

What you failed to understand is the fact that I communicated every question OP asked and rightly told him I was not the original owner and offered a refund as long as my knife is returned since it was already shipped. And you also failed to understand how such a simple offer of refund was jerked around by the OP by strange demands.

My point is I provided answers to OP's every question, he think it's a fake, I don't think it is. The knife was shipped PRIOR to him requesting a refund and I told him to return it and I will refund his money. Should have been end of the story but it wasn't... and here we are

It's not damaged. He's trying to scam him.

umm actually that is my picture I posted on my for sale thread it was taken by me before mailing it out to the OP. The OP have not posted any pictures he took. I'm still certain my knife is real, as evidenced by earlier spyderco civilians with the same grind.

I'd want the refund before shipping the item back. It's almost always the case that if you send the knife back you never get the refund. So you then loose out completely. How is that a strange demand. That on top of the last poster said.

Thank you for posting. That story does not paint a good picture.
Have you advised him of this thread? Would like to hear his side of the story. At least you got almost all of your money back.

He got all his money back, please read the paypal claim events, I never tried to withhold a refund from him and OP did not tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back