• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Ganzofan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't answer my question. But let me help you here. While I was out of town, you had the money, I had the knife. While you let days go by with no communication, you had both the money and the knife. See the difference?

You were out of town hence your lack of communication, what makes you think he didn't have a real-life experience that kept him from the refund? It goes both ways here, both of you had significant delays that would send a message to the opposing party, so to assume your delay was justified and his was not is a rather biased opinion as you only know your side of things.

You didn't answer my question. But let me help you here. While I was out of town, you had the money, I had the knife. While you let days go by with no communication, you had both the money and the knife. See the difference?

Yes.

Once again on the return, I addressed this earlier. We worked it out. I don't have a problem with that, but everyone else does. I was trying to determine how to accomplish a risk neutral return. It seems that PayPal should offer the seller an option to initiate a refund contingent on receipt of returned goods. I just wanted it documented somewhere. A claim accomplished this.

Right on man I missed where you got the refund thanks for clearing that up for me

I was trying to determine how to accomplish a risk neutral return. It seems that PayPal should offer the seller an option to initiate a refund contingent on receipt of returned goods. I just wanted it documented somewhere. A claim accomplished this.

For future reference, a claim is not necessary. All you had to do was return the knife and the seller could refund your money once he received it back. If the seller didn't refund your money within a reasonable amount of time, then you should file a claim. Keep email conversations, pms, text messages as proof that you and the seller both agree to a return and ship it back with insurance and a tracking number, and if you're really skeptical, video yourself showing the knife close up, boxing it up, taping up the box, putting the label on, weighing the package, etc. Get the post office to document the weight to prove it has contents when you ship it off. There would be no more risk doing it that way than filing a claim with paypal.

Has this thing not been beaten to death? :rolleyes: Everyone concerned has had ample time to express their views. "Move along, nothing more to see here". :( I'm no Mod, so just my .02. ;)

Reactions: mb>
BLAH BLAH BLAH FREAKING BLAH...

Gospel???

Bottom line: You sold a freaking "FAKE" Spyderco knife!!!

OWN IT!!!
For if weren't for you, not doing your own due diligence, before you sold this knife, you would've realized it was a fake (which it seems is apparent to everybody here on this forum- except you). :oops:

And we're giving you the benefit of the doubt, Gonzo, because we'll never know for certain, whether you did this intentionally or not.

Irrespective of the above, If I had sold a fake knife to a fellow member on this forum, you can't bet your a$$ that I'd be contrite, & doing whatever necessary to make it right. I wouldn't be on here acting like a complete jackass- pointing the finger! :thumbsdown:

Fact: mp is the victim here- not you!

FWIW Gonzofan- you chose thee perfect user name, to be involved in a GBU thread, where you're being accused of selling a fake Spyderco. :poop:

There is a whole lot more evidence to support this being an honest mistake. I wish I could look at the world with blinders on too.

I know right. I feel pretty confident that I would never sell a fake either because I've spent countless hours researching the particular brand that I buy the most, and anything that I'm not that familiar with, I typically buy from a reputable source. That being said, it's still not out of the realm of possibility that I could unknowingly wind up with a fake and inadvertently try to sell it. The average knife enthusiast probably isn't an expert on every single knife they own, so mistakes can be made. It's how those mistakes are rectified that matters to me.

Very true Corey.
Sal Glesser has posted that the fakes are so good. Ow he's having trouble telling which is which.
He also said that he is the designer of some of the knives he can't identify a fake of. How can we, if the designer of a knife has trouble??
Seems an honest mistake that the seller was willing to rectify.
Joe

I agree that there's not much more to say. Everyone has an opinion, and some of us are never going to see eye to eye.

I was thinking about the dilemma of how to handle a fake put up for sale, like from a Mods perspective. Seems a dangerous thing to give a total pass in that it becomes a green light for any Joe Schmoe to try to pass one off. All they have to say is sorry, I didn't know.

There's a reason that doesn't work on the highway.

No easy answer there for sure though.

Very true Corey.
Sal Glesser has posted that the fakes are so good. Ow he's having trouble telling which is which.
He also said that he is the designer of some of the knives he can't identify a fake of. How can we, if the designer of a knife has trouble??
Seems an honest mistake that the seller was willing to rectify.
Joe

No doubt Joe. There are many fakes that look exactly right in pictures. I've learned quite a bit through this.

This one is one of the worst examples I ran across. Just not even close. There is only one source I could find where you can even locate one like this to purchase. (Rhymes with nee nay).

I agree that there's not much more to say. Everyone has an opinion, and some of us are never going to see eye to eye.

I was thinking about the dilemma of how to handle a fake put up for sale, like from a Mods perspective. Seems a dangerous thing to give a total pass in that it becomes a green light for any Joe Schmoe to try to pass one off. All they have to say is sorry, I didn't know.

There's a reason that doesn't work on the highway.

No easy answer there for sure though.

I understand you POV. But try to also look at a third perspective. The sellers. When you are a buyer you may only want to look at things from a buyer or like you say a "mod" perspective. You say it would seem dangerous to give a total pass because it becomes a green light for someone else to do it again.

But what if one day you get a knife that you think is the real deal and despite all your research you find youself in this same predicament. You are essentially saying that by giving this person negative feedback as well as opening a bad thread about them that you know for certain this was done intentionally. Because really whether or not the knife is fake the seller handled himself how I would expect anyone to handle a situation like this. By the book. Now as a buyer I understand how red in the face someone can get when they feel they were taken advantage of.

But if you were really intentionally being taken for a ride on the deal do you think the seller would have entertained a return? Do you think he would be hear trying to tell his side of the story and explain why he took the steps he did and why certain demands you originally had he felt were not reasonable? He really did do things the way they should be done. You got your refund. And at no point did I see any attempt by the seller to stiff you. Honest mistakes happen. But now the seller has a red on his record and a thread about the ordeal. Many aren't going to read into the details and are going to see that and not do business with him. And if you are still stuck on this idea that he tried to screw you at every turn, then you may feel your actions as justified. But seriously what if you are wrong. What if this was just a case of not knowing. I probably have more experience with fakes than just about anyone and that slipped by me and it was only when you actually wrote out what made you think it was a fake that I was able to connect the dots.

And to be honest when reading your own words on what you requested and how you handled it It seems mistakes were made on both sides of this. Sure you may not have known. See how that works? Look I'm not saying you shouldn't be disappointed. And you may not personally want to deal with him again. But you took an axe to the guys knees on this one. And I just don't think someone deserves the lynch mob when he obviously cares what is going on. True scammers would have went dark and not replied at all. Just my thoughts.

PURPLEDC PURPLEDC Like I said, no easy answers here for sure regarding counterfeit goods.

To clarify, the feedback is not about intention. It's about general attitude, honesty and the GLARING issue of putting this knife up for sale.

Last I saw ganzofan was still insisting the knife is real. That's a problem. It's a problem regardless of intention. At the very least, there should be some small question in his mind now to say the least. If there's not, that's no bueno.

And touching on one other point, many of you keep stating he did nothing wrong, it was all by the book, etc.

Go back over the rules I got whacked over the head about. Then review the detail pictures. Then make that same statement.

I agree and said before Im not sure either member had malicious intent ... it just got out of hand and emotions and lack of communication caused alot more issue then it needed to be ...

that being said I and a few others brought up the point of leaving negative feedback without an actual deal being completed ...

and someone left a message that the rule had been modified to allow for feedback in some cases even if both parties were made whole as in knife returned money refunded ... but I've seen more bring it up so I would love a Mod to step in and clarify this for everyone ... ???

And I hope the run of these type threads I've seen lately go away ... too many good people here for the right reasons to let misunderstandings and honest mistakes to ruin it.

Stickin' a fork in this one because it looks like it's done.
The OP or the seller can pm me or one of the other mods to reopen if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back