Garage sale find.

I picked this vintage Buck up at a garage sale for 5 bucks. The tip is broken off the 110 but its in great condition otherwise. From what I can find on the web its made between the late 60s and very early 70s. My big question is should I leave it as is or try to shape it so its got a point?

That looks like a three-dot which places it in the early 1980s for time of manufacture. You can have Buck re-blade it for a nominal fee. If it's going to be a user, I would just re-grind the point since there's plenty of blade left to be useful.

Since you asked for opinions and I'm so full of them, I say send it to Buck for a new blade rather than regrind it.

It's 440C, i'd keep the blade. A new blade is not the same knife. I believe Buck will grind a new tip.

New blade will be a current year standard production 420HC, with current tang stamp.
They don't have any of the old blades left, and even if you offer to pay extra, won't upgrade to S30V, or the CPM154, 440C, or 5160 blades some of their dealers had in their SFO's.

Meerkat4848 Meerkat4848 if you really like it, just make your own. A blade doesn’t have to be broken to modify it.
I agree, buy a decent Buck 110 from the pawn shop, etc. and modify it. I wanted a Trapper with Clip and Sheepfoot blades (I don’t use the long Spey for much) so I bought the least expensive Case 3207 I could find and with minimal skill and equipment I modified it in my shed. Pretty happy with the blade, not so much the nail nick but its functional. OH
Case_3207_CV_Trapper_Jack_(1).jpg

Case-3207-CV-Trapper-Jack.jpg

That knife looks very useful. The nail nick looks good. I’ve been modifying knives since I was around 8. My dad had a vise and files. I figured it out.

I’ve never tried cutting a nail nick though.

Knowing me. I think I’d keep trying to fix it until I had a long pull. Lol

The nail nick was already in the right place on this weird shaped pen blade so it was an even easier mod, just keep the blade cool and go slow.

On a 110 I'd have to really think about it.
Could I keep the nick and have it look right, where to cut so I don't have to take remove as much to get a perfectly straight edge...ect.
It wouldn't be hard to do though , and it would be a pretty useful knife too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Buck put a sheeps foot blade in the 110lt frame.

OK, I'm going to be that guy! This is the Buck Knives forum and I think that should be respected. The Traditional Forum has a thread for modifications.

You may be right. But we are talking about modifying a Buck knife. The OP asked specifically about what he should do with his broken 110. My non Buck pictures are to show what can be done with a broken clip point. So we haven’t even gone into a thread drift.

I could be that guy too and tell you to let the moderators moderate.

Last edited:
Back