• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gareth bull: Slow Delivery/waitlist thread

Yep hes dark right now except on instagram where im sure he still trying to sell those miuras that didnt sell the first time and the newer designed shamwari with the mokuti over travel stop.

Only shows up when he needs money

Edit:

Apparently hes been busy having another kid too. That can be time consuming but still seems to be making custom designs for people not on the list.

Last edited:
I purchased a ALREADY completed 3.25" Shamwari from Gazza August 2015. Contacted him on and off for nearly 4 months and he said he'd ship it, that he would send me pictures. I never saw a single picture of it (only what was on instagram from the original post). Mind you the knife was already done and ready to be shipped. Just as I neared the 4 month mark I couldn't get a hold of him to ship it out and to get an update at all. I reluctantly had to put in a dispute with Paypal to get a refund.

I honestly wanted the knife more than the money back but after constant emails and IG DM's, I just wasn't getting through. I even would just message him once every couple of weeks or once a month with no response. It's a damn shame since he makes AMAZING knives. I thought he was turning around his ways. He just needs to be honest and let people know what's going on so we know what to expect.

Shame, it really is.

I purchased a ALREADY completed 3.25" Shamwari from Gazza August 2015. Contacted him on and off for nearly 4 months and he said he'd ship it, that he would send me pictures. I never saw a single picture of it (only what was on instagram from the original post). Mind you the knife was already done and ready to be shipped. Just as I neared the 4 month mark I couldn't get a hold of him to ship it out and to get an update at all. I reluctantly had to put in a dispute with Paypal to get a refund.

I honestly wanted the knife more than the money back but after constant emails and IG DM's, I just wasn't getting through. I even would just message him once every couple of weeks or once a month with no response. It's a damn shame since he makes AMAZING knives. I thought he was turning around his ways. He just needs to be honest and let people know what's going on so we know what to expect.

Shame, it really is.

unfortunately he really cant seem to grasp the underlined statement.

He shows up when he needs money and that's all we are to him. People need to boycott his knives for a while, but people keep feeding his behavior by purchasing his stuff on instagram.

He knows he can get away with it so he does. Very shady business practices.

On the largest UK knife forum there was a love fest thread about old GB and some folk had actually received a knife after paying, waiting and begging. It was the Emperors new clothes thing where the member doing people the wrongun repeatedly can do no wrong and that 'people just don't understand' what he has been through etc. As if other people on here don't run their own businesses in an honest and upfront manner. But wait it's different as this guy sells knives, all bets are off.

Also unfortunates that have skin in the game (ie paid out a lot of money and nothing in return) still defend him hoping that he will, for some reason, come good with their knife or order.

Let me be clear, it is not the customers fault, it seems weird having to state that but some of these undesirables (the makers flaking) seem to put the blame squarely on the customer for putting them under pressure to deliver an ordered (and PAID for, running into years of waiting) knife. What happened to taking responsibility for your situation, lying and being untruthful are childish traits at best.

Anyways I think I sent a PM on the UK forum (or it might have been a forum post) showing disappointment that someone is taking money and not giving anything in return (some people even call this stealing I think).

One of his defenders must have sent him the PM or showed him my post because old GB sent me a right unhappy tirade of threats (legal threats if I remember lol, imagine that!).

It was the well trodden 'you don't understand' how hard life is and I will make good on every order etc. I actually took some consolation in the message because he seemed that upset on being called out that one might start to believe he might deliver.

I never replied, partly because I wanted to leave him with some pride and hoped that he might make people whole again.

He also asked what has it got to do with me? Well pal you are one of the people ripping the behind off a hobby I enjoy.

Come on GB, did those words you sent me mean anything? Please get this sorted.

Last edited:
I don't know why some people still want to buy something from this guy...

I'd never buy one of his knives again direct or otherwise. Lesson learned and hopefully others are paying attention.

I'm sure some of his fellow knife makers and countrymen could urge him to go straight or step down. It won't happen.

I'm sure some of his fellow knife makers and countrymen could urge him to go straight or step down. It won't happen.

What a ridiculous comment. You obviously have no idea of the history around this.

If you did you would know how hard local collectors and makers tried to get him to go straight. Eventually when we could not he was expelled from the South African Knifemakers Guild and shunned by most of the local collectors. This was made public here and on numerous other forums.
He now struggles to sell anything locally relying almost solely on Instagram and foreign sales.

We are not his master any more than US customers control the myriad of bad US makers. To say that we (South Africans) are somehow protecting him is a demonstration of your ignorance concerning this matter.

"There are so many talented, trustworthy and brilliant makers in South Africa. So why people insist on sending money to the one guy who is constantly a problem is a mystery to me." "Myriad of bad US makers"

This thread is about Gareth, his dealings and his customers not defending the SA knife guild.

This thread is about Gareth, his dealings and his customers not defending the SA knife guild.

You are correct that this thread is about Gareth and has nothing to do with other South African makers, collectors and organisations.

Your comment clearly says that somehow we fellow South Africans are responsible or we can alter the situation if we choose. That is nonsense.

Gareth is solely responsible for his current situation and only he can correct it. Everyone on this thread gets that except you.

You are correct that this thread is about Gareth and has nothing to do with other South African makers, collectors and organisations.

Your comment clearly says that somehow we fellow South Africans are responsible or we can alter the situation if we choose. That is nonsense.

Gareth is solely responsible for his current situation and only he can correct it. Everyone on this thread gets that except you.
You may have a valid argument, but the arrogance you exude is on par with ADV.

You may have a valid argument, but the arrogance you exude is on par with ADV.

Instead of apologising for your admitted stupid comment and moving on, you choose to insult me. The last refuge you have...........Well done.

lets try and keep this on topic and not turn it into an war between ourselves....

Gareth is in the wrong. The SA people have nothing to do with Gareth's problems/resolution.

When a maker wants money up front...run like the wind. There are plenty of great makers that don't require anything more than payment before shipping.

I'm sorry to say that it appears he's back to his old tricks. After trading for a Shamwari and Miura on the secondary market, I contacted Gareth for parts. He asked me to send money (only $25) to his sister's Paypal account (Red flag!), two weeks ago, promising shipping a day or two later. He's since dropped off the face of the Earth. After showing off my Bull knives on Instagram, I've also been contacted by other viewers who saw my knives and wondered if I had a way to get in touch, as they're waiting on pre-paid shipments too.

This guy makes great knives, but man, he needs a business manager. Use caution. Not much appears to have changed.

Last edited:
Back