• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gareth bull: Slow Delivery/waitlist thread

Yeah I got the scales. He does nice work but in the end the hassle really wasn't worth it. When these threads come up you better believe there will be some sort of problem if you choose to give them a chance

Reactions: Mo2
You guys have no patience when it comes to ordering a custom knife.
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. GB has definitely earned his place in the Hall of Shame, and rightfully so.

Have you read the exploits of this particular maker TKC???
Couple of his less finer attributes:
Missing self made delivery times, for years, not weeks.
Going dark constantly. No comms for months.
Sending knives that never should've left the shop, since he's is S Africa buyers are in quite a lurch and pretty much helpless.
Asks for payment up front.
I know patience is required when dealing with custom makers, but there has to be a limit.
Joe

You guys have no patience when it comes to ordering a custom knife.

unfortunately i have an experience to share with the thread... and also, it has only been one day since i've reached out to him so, no judgements yet on my side, but after reading through this thread, i am now afraid. I paid for and received a knife in very timely fashion. paid on day 1, was told i would receive on day 12, then received the knife on day 13. However, the knife is defective :(. not some minor QC issue, but severely defective. the knife won't lock up at all. i have requested to proceed to return the knife to him for a refund

My questions are:

1. has anyone ever had an experience of being able to return a knife to him for a refund successfully?

2. and IF i don't get a response or he refuses to refund, (again, it's way early and and i will give him the opportunity to work this out with me), will i be able to work this out with paypal (G&S) and/or my credit card?

I will follow up with an update here with my experience

There are time limits for PayPal relief for defective goods and other limits set by your credit card company for disputing a charge to your credits card if that is how you funded your PayPal payment. Check with PayPal and the credit card company for the time limits and what you must do to get relief.

If I were in your situation, I would try to get him to fix the problem, but I would never go past the PayPal or credit card time limits. He has no credibility.

There are time limits for PayPal relief for defective goods and other limits set by your credit card company for disputing a charge to your credits card if that is how you funded your PayPal payment. Check with PayPal and the credit card company for the time limits and what you must do to get relief.

If I were in your situation, I would try to get him to fix the problem, but I would never go past the PayPal or credit card time limits. He has no credibility.

i ordered the knife two weeks ago and received it 3 days ago, so i will give him some time to respond first, but i will try paypal and or my credit card company if it comes to it

Don't wait Josh.
At least give both a call to find out what your options are in this particular case.
He sent you a product that will not perform as promised.......and he knows what he did.
Your CC company & PP can help you in regards of how to proceed. Explain what GB did and that the item is unusable.
Good luck.
Joe

i ordered the knife two weeks ago and received it 3 days ago, so i will give him some time to respond first, but i will try paypal and or my credit card company if it comes to it

Don't wait Josh.
At least give both a call to find out what your options are in this particular case.
He sent you a product that will not perform as promised.......and he knows what he did.
Your CC company & PP can help you in regards of how to proceed. Explain what GB did and that the item is unusable.
Good luck.
Joe

thanks Joe, he actually responded within 48 hours of my initial contact, so that seems like a significant improvement in communication compared to some stories above. it's a bummer i've slowly become a fan of his work based on what i've seen and based on others experiences with his knives, and was really looking forward to this one...

he has promised to refund me next week, i will update here with the outcome, as he deserves the credit of making things right for me if he comes through.

josh yu josh yu
Agreed Josh........give him some time, couple weeks should be more than enough for him to do the right thing.
He has been known to have gone dark in the past, stay on top of him.
Joe

PS.......does he have another knife that he can exchange for you??

josh yu josh yu
Agreed Josh........give him some time, couple weeks should be more than enough for him to do the right thing.
He has been known to have gone dark in the past, stay on top of him.
Joe

PS.......does he have another knife that he can exchange for you??

i didn't really ask if he had a replacement knife, but i doubt it. his knives are in high demand and sell instantly when he posts them, Even on .748 here, they sell almost instantly. here's the last one that was posted. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gareth-bull-2-75-kalos-m390.1524226/

just an update on this, i received my refund today. now to get the knife back to him safely.

on a side note, am i out of my mind for still wanting a gareth bull knife? while this experience was less than ideal, i am still a fan of the knives when done correctly...

Did he give you the refund or PP??
I think we’re all out of our minds when it comes to
blades Josh!!
He does do really nice work, but he does have some interesting personality quirks.
Do you have any idea how long you would have to wait for another knife??
Joe

Did he give you the refund or PP??
I think we’re all out of our minds when it comes to
blades Josh!!
He does do really nice work, but he does have some interesting personality quirks.
Do you have any idea how long you would have to wait for another knife??
Joe

he sent a refund via paypal, prior to my sending the knife back. i'll be shipping it out tomorrow. just to share the details of how things went down, his communication was actually good, and he was very apologetic about letting a defective knife go out. so, my experience with him was more so a QC issue rather than the communication issues in this thread.

i didn't ask to get on his books, and the one i bought wasn't a custom order, it was bought from one of his instagram sales posts

Wow! Really glad to hear Josh!
Sounds like he’s stepping it up on the CS front! That is pretty huge he refunded you before he got the knife back brother!
Joe

Back