GATCO vs. Lansky

znode, Lansky doesn't go down to 8000, there were other methods introduced so, no we're not just talking about Lansky.

On the rest of it, I give up . . . you win . . . and I promise not to directly quote you again for any purpose nor make any derogatory comments about any Blessed Spyderco product (whether I did or didn't).

You're right on everything especially about me not going to listen to you after 17 years of me making a more than a decent living from using edged hand tools and having tried just about every stone/sharpening sytem/jig I could get my hands on or manufacture on every kind of steel I could find.

And thank you, seriously, for exposing my ignorance on two things. One - I did think it was "crotchstick". That's what I bought as a child and have called it that ever since. Seeing as how they're obviously not my favorite device, I have never googled them on the net to obtain another and I don't remember my Spyderco describing itself as a "crock stick". But now I know.

And two - I was ignorant that there were such touchy individuals on this forum. I'm glad that not everyone here tries to read intent into statements from someone they don't know written in an advice forum.

Merry Christmas.

The Sharpmaker is a fine tool for maintaining an edge. I've tried to rebevel an edge with one. It's no fun.

The guided rod systems will allow you to rebevel an edge with minimal effort. If you are looking to rebevel S30V or similar you will want the diamond hones. I've used a Lansky for many years and have bought more then one. I've never had a bad hone or other component.

You do need to learn how to use the guided rod systems, that's true of the Sharpmaker also. The learning curve, however, is much shorter then learning to sharpen feehand.

I use a strop to maintain my edges. When I strop regularly I only rarely need to resharpen.

That's my experience and opinion. I won't spend my time trying to put other folks opinions down. As with all things on this forum take it all with a grain of salt.

I want a guided system for the meantime. I really want to master sharpening by hand, like I do my chainsaw chains, so that I dont have to rely on a guide, and can sharpen anywhere.

So is it THAT hard to get a good edge, relatively soon by hand? I would like to just buy some stones and have at it, but some of the members here make it seem like it takes years of practice to get a knife REAL sharp, and durable on a stone by hand.

I was taught how to hand sharpen at 7, then taught how to use a grinder to sharpen at 12. I used these methods and variations to get extremely sharp tools for years. I did not get into guided systems until I was 44, due to this site. I now use them not to get sharper blades, but as another option to get them extremely sharp quicker. Some times freehand or grinder use is quicker, other times a guided system is best. Freehand does not take long to learn, just a good teacher and lots of practice. Grinder use is quick with excellent results but is very unforgiving of mistakes to both the steel and person. Takes much more practice. Many guided systems are very easy to learn and produce extremely sharp edges with less effort. You just need to find the one that suits you best.

Here is my setup:
DSCF1152.jpg

I have a GATCO Professional. I added the extra fine and ultimate finishing hones. I also added the extra coarse diamond.

I finish with strops loaded with red and white polishing compound.

The pluses of a GATCO versus the Lansky rod guided kits.

The GATCO will do 11°, 15°, 16°, 22°, 25°, and 30°. The Lansky will do 17°, 20°, 25°, and 30°.

The GATCO has longer and wider stones.

The GATCO's rods simply pull out from the stone holder and you are ready. The Lansky's have to be swung out and tightened with a set screw.

I believe that you have to reuse the rods or buy seperately if you buy a new stone with the Lansky. The GATCO's accessory stones come with rods.

The Lansky stuff seems to be more widely available. I have purchased GATCO stuff from Cabela's and GATCO.

I do not have any practical experience using a Lansky. The GATCO with the two finer stones and the stropping provides very sharp edges. I have sharpened every knife I have plus several for the guys at work. I have not had a knife other than a very narrow SAK that I could not sharpen.

I am very pleased with the GATCO. I have a three stone Arkansas set that I have trouble free handing with. I had zero problem with the GATCO right out of the box.

The extra fine is listed on the GATCO website as 600 grit and the ultimate finishing hone is listed as 1200 grit.

if you think the sharpmaker is too hard, them you are just being lazy.

if you try it you will find all you need are:

1.sharpmaker
2.the object that needs sharpening
3.third grade english
4.2nd grade math
5.and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

:D

merry christmas

I will be ordering one of these two systems this week. It seems so far, everyone leans towards the Lansky...any more info on the GATCO? I like that they use full size stones.

I spoke to my cousin and some of his friends. They are in the 82nd Airborne, they had good things to say about the Lansky

I am going to order a Gatco to try it out. It seems to fill the gap between two guided systems that I have. I currently use the Smiths diamond kit. I do not think it is very well thought of here. I measured and drilled two more holes so it would sharpen at 15, 17, 20 and 25. I have used the Lansky and did not like it. It did not have as much clearance for different style knives. I know many people like it but it just did not work out for me. I have found that the wider stones work better(made a few) than the stock ones on both. The Gatco has a wider range than the Lansky. It has wider stones than either the Smiths or Lansky, the only features that I altered on both.

Btw, "crock" vs "crotch"=- I suspect the term refers to the ceramic used. At the time pottery was the thing mostly associated with the material; thus "crocks". Just my own theory.

I have both sharpeners they both do a good job. The Lasky's stones are a bit narrower than the Gatco's.

I will be ordering one of these two systems this week. It seems so far, everyone leans towards the Lansky...any more info on the GATCO? I like that they use full size stones.

I spoke to my cousin and some of his friends. They are in the 82nd Airborne, they had good things to say about the Lansky

I like the bigger stones of the GATCO versus the Lansky.

I like the 6 angles on the GATCO versus the Lansky.

I like the rods on the GATCO versus the Lansky.

I like the GATCO clamp mount versus the Lansky.

BostonBull, I've never used it, so take this with a grain of salt, but at first blush it looks like the KME Knife Sharpener combines the best points off all the guide-and-clamp sharpeners while mitigating their weakness, which I'll describe in detail if I may.

1) One of the flaws of the Lansky & Gatco systems is that there's some wiggle/slop room in the slots the guide rods go thru. You'll probably notice some threads where people say they really started to get razor edges when they used a finger to keep the end from moving. The spherical bearing of the KME looks to be too tight to allow any wobble to speak of.

2) The KME has a rotating knife clamp that allows the whole device to remain fixed while you flip just the knife. Perhaps not a big deal if you normally hold the entire thing in your hand, because you'd just turn the whole thing over. But if you use a base it's nice not to have to switch hands or reset the thing.

3) The KME has one stone arm & clamp but allows the use of any "standard size" pocket stone. You're not stuck with whatever Gatco or Lansky decides to sell you. You can used diamond, arkansas or waterstones, provided they're the correct size. It uses what appear to be 4" long, 1/4" thick stones. I think Congress Tools makes a bazillion different stones that will work with the KME.

Okay, to reiterate- I haven't used it before. But I watched the video, and I have used the other two, and it really looks good. My dad was pretty impressed with the video, too. I gave him a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Xmas and he's pretty blown away by it, but he still plans to purchase the KME next.

BostonBull, I've never used it, so take this with a grain of salt, but at first blush it looks like the KME Knife Sharpener combines the best points off all the guide-and-clamp sharpeners while mitigating their weakness, which I'll describe in detail if I may.

1) One of the flaws of the Lansky & Gatco systems is that there's some wiggle/slop room in the slots the guide rods go thru. You'll probably notice some threads where people say they really started to get razor edges when they used a finger to keep the end from moving. The spherical bearing of the KME looks to be too tight to allow any wobble to speak of.

2) The KME has a rotating knife clamp that allows the whole device to remain fixed while you flip just the knife. Perhaps not a big deal if you normally hold the entire thing in your hand, because you'd just turn the whole thing over. But if you use a base it's nice not to have to switch hands or reset the thing.

3) The KME has one stone arm & clamp but allows the use of any "standard size" pocket stone. You're not stuck with whatever Gatco or Lansky decides to sell you. You can used diamond, arkansas or waterstones, provided they're the correct size. It uses what appear to be 4" long, 1/4" thick stones. I think Congress Tools makes a bazillion different stones that will work with the KME.

Okay, to reiterate- I haven't used it before. But I watched the video, and I have used the other two, and it really looks good. My dad was pretty impressed with the video, too. I gave him a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Xmas and he's pretty blown away by it, but he still plans to purchase the KME next.

Thanks for the post Rob. I really like the looks of the KME Setup. As you said it appears to overcome some of the weaknesses of the Lansky and Gatco devices.

So..................
GATCO Lansky KME

Which one should I start with? The KME DOES seem to look more solid, and it IS under $100. It looks like a smaller, cheaper, Edgepro.....

I would like to order this soon, which one?

I have nothing against the KME or the Lansky. I have never used either. I like my GATCO and I was able to produce razor sharp edges right out of the box with very little trouble. Some things that I see as advantages in the GATCO others may se as disadvantages. I know the GATCO works for me. I am sure if I had the KME or the Lansky I would be happy.

It is your money and if you are sucessful with any other system then go for it. I have gotten info here from guys using many systems. I have learned a lot even from the guys that free hand, polish, and/or strop that I have been able to translate to the GATCO. It is still a stone scraping against a blade.

I am sceptical as to the actual real need for the spherical bushing on the KME. In use my GATCO seems to "find" the edge.

On the GATCO with the clamp mount the clamp slides into the mount. The mount sits or is screwed to the bench. The clamp slides in, you work one side of the edge and then you flip and slide the clamp in to work the other side.

You have one stone holder with the KME. To use another stone you have to lossen remove and replace the stone. With the GATCO you pull out the rod and go to work. Need a different stone you are set. No swapping stones out of the holder and replacing. Each stone comes pre-installed in the holder with a rod ready to go. With the Lansky you buy the stones in the holder but they do not come with a rod.

The KME is not calibrated to any angles. You will need to guess or mark the KME somehow. You do have an infinite setting but only from 30° to 17°. The GATCO can do 11°, 15°, 19°, 22°, 25°, and 30°. The Lansky will do 17°, 20°, 25°, and 30°. I use the 15° and 11° settings on the GATCO on my kitchen cutlery. It has been fun experimenting with the lower angle settings with some pocket knives.

It seems to me that the GATCO and the Lansky angles would be mor repeatable due to the screw setting you must do with the KME and there being no positive stop.

The stones that I have from GATCO seem to be able to hone every edge that I have touched them to to a very high level of sharpness.

The KME and Lansky are a bit more money than the GATCO.

I think there are more similarities in actual use between the GATCO, KME, and Lansky. The main thing I like about the GATCO is the an

The disadvantage (for my use) for GATCO, Lansky, and KME are that they require you to clamp the blade. I sharpen small blades (such as on traditional pocket knives), and for me, the stones kept hitting the clamp because the blade is not wide enough (measured from edge to back of blade) to given enough clearance.

I have tried many different devices, and have settled on two that produce extremely consistent and fabulous edges: EdgePro and Sharpmaker. I use the EdgePro Apex for serious work. Then, for near instantaneous touch-ups, the Sharpmaker restores a hair-popping edge at 30 degrees. The E/P will do it all, but to me, it's just a little to much to go through for quick touch-ups.

If $100 is your price point, you're doing yourself an injustice by not going the extra $25 and getting the EdgePro Apex. Now, you can buy lots of other setups, spend lots more in the long run, but you'll eventually try an EdgePro, and once you do, you'll slap yourself of the forehead and say, "Duh... why didn't I go this way in the first place!"

One more thing. The GATCO is a bit smaller unit. I have a small tote that holds the GATCO, my tri-hone set, my strops and polishing compounds, and a bunch of knives.

It is quite compact and if I took just what came with the professional kit I can fit it into the red case and take it to the deer camp or fishing cabin no problem. I could hold the clamp in my hand to sharpen.

The disadvantage (for my use) for GATCO, Lansky, and KME are that they require you to clamp the blade. I sharpen small blades (such as on traditional pocket knives), and for me, the stones kept hitting the clamp because the blade is not wide enough (measured from edge to back of blade) to given enough clearance.

That is the only problem I have had with the GATCO. The narrow blade on a SAK would not work. I do not personally own any knife that narrow. The SAK was a friends blade. I have a Leatherman Juice S2. It works just fine on the GATCO and it is pretty narrow.

I have sharpened with the GATCO a few custom hunting knives, numerous paring knives, an 8" santuko, a 5" santuko, numerous fillet knives, several Buck 110, 112, 550, 505, 102, 103, 119, a few 10" chefs knifes, a few boning knives, a few kitchen utility knives, a few nameless hunting type knives, and numerous varied pocket knives. I have had no problems other than the above mentioned SAK.

The KME is not calibrated to any angles. You will need to guess or mark the KME somehow.

From the KME website:

"Infinitely Adjustable Sharpening Angle from 17 to 30
Degrees:

Main frame is engraved with angle scale in single
degree increments. Loosen thumb nut to raise
or lower the bearing assembly to any desired
sharpening angle."

I really like the looks of the KME, so much so that I just ordered one. It appears to address all the things I don't like about the Lansky. I guess I'll find out now.

If $100 is your price point, you're doing yourself an injustice by not going the extra $25 and getting the EdgePro Apex. Now, you can buy lots of other setups, spend lots more in the long run, but you'll eventually try an EdgePro, and once you do, you'll slap yourself of the forehead and say, "Duh... why didn't I go this way in the first place!"

The GATCO is $39.99 at Cabelas and that includes the free pedastal mount. I bought mine there. I have added a few accessory hones and some stropping stuff but you will probably need more stuff no matter the system you buy. The GATCO is ready to go right out of the box. The extra stuff just brings my edges to the next level of sharpness.

The replacement hones run from about $12.99 to $20.99 depending on the hone and whether you are using diamond hones or not.

I have tried many different devices, and have settled on two that produce extremely consistent and fabulous edges: EdgePro and Sharpmaker. I use the EdgePro Apex for serious work. Then, for near instantaneous touch-ups, the Sharpmaker restores a hair-popping edge at 30 degrees. The E/P will do it all, but to me, it's just a little to much to go through for quick touch-ups.

I'd have to say I concur with Ted. Still, if it's a guided system you want they'll all do a good job. Now playing devil's advocate, and acknowleging that I haven't used the KME, I don't know that the lack of presets is that big a deal. I imagine you could make a nick in it to mark presets if you wanted, and having them will save time. But the most accurate way to do it is still to mark the edge of the blade with a sharpie and adjust the angle til it cuts it evenly.

That said, the Gatco & Lanksy are a bit cheaper and both do a good job.

If you can stretch your budget another $25 to get the Apex, though, I think you'll find it was well worth the money. You simply get another level of versatility with the Edge Pro.

Back