Gayle Bradley 2 or Super Freek?

Ok, which one do you like best?

• Super Freek

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Gayle Bradley 2

Votes: 53 71.6%

• Total voters
I have decided that I want to try out a larger folder with an M4 blade. These two immediately come to mind. Both are made by high quality manufacturers, have similar specs and a similar price. Which one would you choose?

I am leaning slightly towards the Super Freek because it reminds me a lot of my large Ritter, which is among my favourite folders ever. It seems like an improved version of that one but the Bradley also looks interesting and seems to get good reviews.

Bladeforums commentariat, help me spend my money!

Last edited:
I have both. The only answer is both. They are both excellent, and while similar I believe they are also different enough that it warrants having both in my collection.

If you had to choose one, I'd say Freek. Get a Bradley later. But you really should have both!

I second the option for both

i was also interested in both but as I could only get one I had the GB2

I have decided that I want to try out a larger folder with an M4 blade. These two immediately come to mind. Both are made by high quality manufactruers, have similar specs and a similar price. Which one would you choose?

I am leaning slightly towards the Super Freek because it reminds me a lot of my large Ritter, which is among my favourite folders ever. It seems like an improved version of that one but the Bradley also looks interesting and seems to get good reviews.

Bladeforums commentariat, help me spend my money!
When you say "Large Ritter" are you talking the Benchmade flavor or the Hogue flavor? I think the Hogue flavor is superior to either the Benchmade Ritter or the Benchmade Super Freek. It's a Knifeworks exclusive if you want to check it out.

Edit: Aaaaaaand I totally spaced on your intent to check out M4. Sorry!

Last edited:
I'd agree you "need" both! However, I do have both and personally consider the GB2 a somewhat superior product but not quite as user friendly as the Super Freek. (Which is exactly why I have both.) :D

Id probably lead toward the Freek. The GB2 probably has a better grind but that is about it in terms of favorable comparisons. I like the GB2 a lot but the scales are not going to be as comfortable in the hand (i've seen some interesting Micarta scales though that will likely cost you another $60+). Further the lock bar is very inaccessible. You really need to wedge your thumb in there to get it to disengage while the super freek axis lock is one of the best I have seen (maybe I got lucky on the BM QC?) and much easier to actuate. On top of that you can get a free deep carry clip from BM (just shoot em an email or call they are very helpful) whereas the GB needs another $20+ upgrade to a lynch clip to have the same feature.

Finally subjectively I like the look of the Freek more. I also have a decent amount of CF in my collection and unless it is shred CF they all start looking the same. I dont think I have ever seen more beautiful G-10 from a factory produced knife in the last 10 years. A great job from Benchmade to take a relatively common handle material and really make it unique and pop. I have had the knife for 2 years now and it is still one of my favorite visually and I have no plans of hunting for custom scales.

GB2 carries better than most, the Freek is a fatty. If you like the full size Grip, it's tempting to say Freek. BUT you'd be missing out on a much more refined design in the GB2 IMO

The proud liners killed the GB1 for me; and the Super Freek has a coated blade...so I grabbed the Advocate and PM2 when they were available.

Although it might be zero, the chance of any form of blade play is likelier in the freak than the Bradley. With that said I’m interested in the freak too. The only way to scratch the itch is to buy both at the same time, tell her you’re returning one of them, and seeing for yourself.

I would never buy a Freek because I think it's just a knockoff Ritter that they launched when they discontinued the Ritter grip, and cut Ritter out of the deal, without explanation. So to me the Gayle Bradley is a 100x better choice.
This is great.

Although it might be zero, the chance of any form of blade play is likelier in the freak than the Bradley. With that said I’m interested in the freak too. The only way to scratch the itch is to buy both at the same time, tell her you’re returning one of them, and seeing for yourself.

Ha, I think you may be the winner for the best advice in the thread.

They're both exceptional knives, you really can't go wrong with either of them. The Bradley is a mad slicer due to the hollow grind. The Freek is not as slicey, but is no slouch. The axis is easier to use, but the liner on the GB is fine to me once you come to grips with how to disengage it. It took me a few days but now it's second nature, just takes a little different technique than other liners. It was designed that way, to be harder to disengage while using.

The Freek is more fidgety. The GB is classier, and slightly cheaper. I got the deep carry clip for my Freek, it begged for it. The Bradley is fine with the standard clip (love the finish on it!)

So yea, I still say both. And throw a Hogue Ritter in there too. It's a great knife and you support knife rights at the same time...:D

I m a Ritter Griptilian and regular Griptilian fan. But in fit and finish the Bradley 2 is a better knife. Also better ergonomics.
I d start with the Bradley 2.

If trying out the M4 is your main goal, get the GB2.

BM heat treat on their M4 was shown to be sub par.

Spyderco's M4 on the other hand is the gold standard.

Last edited:
Back