Gayle Bradley 2

Wait wait waaaaait a minute.... Let us make something clear.

We are now making it sound like people are ridiculing others for loving the GB1 and wishing that it sticks around. But reality is, people are just coming to the GB2's defence since some are willing to bash a knife that hasn't even come out yet. You know, the chicken or the egg thing.

We are all here because we love the GB1. I am looking forward to the GB2 and wont cry complain and pass judgement until I have one in hand. Another reason why I wont cry is because I have two GB1's. Hope it never gets disco'd either but there is ample time to be ready if it does.

Just funny how some think that the GB1 needs defending. You're speaking to the choir :)

GB2 is a different knife. Let me spell it out. It is Gayle Bradley's second namesake Spyderco.

Spyderco would be quite different if its collaborators were never aloud to produce more than one model. And yes keeping the GB1 in production is a good idea.

Just funny how some think that the GB1 needs defending. You're speaking to the choir :)

GB2 is a different knife. Let me spell it out. It is Gayle Bradley's second namesake Spyderco.

Spyderco would be quite different if its collaborators were never aloud to produce more than one model. And yes keeping the GB1 in production is a good idea.

People are speaking up because of the statement: "The GB2 fixes everything that's wrong with the GB1..." If the wording emphasized the particular preferences of the individual rather than proffering a blanket statement, there'd be less of a defensive posture.

That being said, I do think most people recognize the GB1 for what it is, even if they don't like certain features about it. The GB2 opens the door to those who like a slimmer, more EDC-friendly knife, but still want the spirit of Gayle's masterwork Spyderco. It's a good compromise.

Ultimately, I'd argue as well that there's a place for both models. :thumbup:

People are speaking up because of the statement: "The GB2 fixes everything that's wrong with the GB1..." If the wording emphasized the particular preferences of the individual rather than proffering a blanket statement, there'd be less of a defensive posture.

That being said, I do think most people recognize the GB1 for what it is, even if they don't like certain features about it. The GB2 opens the door to those who like a slimmer, more EDC-friendly knife, but still want the spirit of Gayle's masterwork Spyderco. It's a good compromise.

Ultimately, I'd argue as well that there's a place for both models. :thumbup:

Yeah, putting it that way can certainly upset the GB1 fanbase. I must go back to the fact that this is a different knife and not just a GB1 mini. We can look at it as another option for everyone so MORE are happy. :)

...And since it is a different enough knife, I hope Sal is reading and consider to have the GB1 continue production even as a limited batch release.

If anyone is interested in a GB1 mini, perhaps a GB can be customized like the PM2 and Southard minis? Has it been done yet?

Every time I look at a picture of the Gayle Bradley 2 I think of the Benchmade 710. They just have similar lines.

For me it's mostly just all things Spyderco and I want them both,
The GB1 Just went on sale today at one of the online knife sellers and my wife just bought it for me as I've had my eye on a GB1 for a while.
Wonderful wife

well today i just ordered my gayle bradley,only its the 1st version!i think!it has the liners drilled out,but the first version had solid liners so i have been told,hope i like it when it gets hear!:rolleyes:

Ive talked myself out of every knife ive considered buying at the moment in anticipation of the GB2. Its everything i want in a folder visually as well as a great all around blade to back it up

Here's how I had my GB modded to give full access to the Spydie hole and liner lock like God intended for all knives. Seriously, its a joy to get a full purchase on the Spydie hole instead of just getting 60% of your finger in there. Same with the liner lock.

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

This is exactly what I would have wanted in the "2". Why not make a second release much better rather than just a couple of tweaks? I think powernoodle's mod even looks better with nicer lines/shape. I can deal with the hole being partially covered on my Domino because it's also a flipper (which I use most anyway). But this is a true Spydie Hole only blade.

Even though....I'll probably buy one anyway. But if it bugs me, I'll be finding someone to mod it.

powernoodle, did you do the mod yourself, or send it to someone? Can you share a ballpark cost either way?

This is exactly what I would have wanted in the "2". Why not make a second release much better rather than just a couple of tweaks?

'Cause there are three things that are integral to the GB:

1. CPM-M4 steel.
2. Proud liners.
3. No cutout for liner lock release.

Change any one of those, and it wouldn't have the pedigree of the GB. It'd be a different knife. :D

'Cause there are three things that are integral to the GB:

1. CPM-M4 steel.
2. Proud liners.
3. No cutout for liner lock release.

Change any one of those, and it wouldn't have the pedigree of the GB. It'd be a different knife. :D
Based on what? A random set of requirements you decided on?

Based on what? A random set of requirements you decided on?

Not my decision, no. The man himself set those standards. Those three were the ones he mentioned when he talked about the original as central to his design philosophy. It makes perfect sense that they'd be integral to the second iteration.

The argument that the presence of a cutout to access the spydie-hole/lock bar would unequivocally improve on the original design is subjective. Gayle Bradley knows what access cutouts bring to a knife. The GB Air has one for both the hole and the lock bar. It surprises me how often aspects of the GB are criticized; aspects that Mr. Bradley himself has given specific justification for.

It seems like the GB2 is a concession to the opinion that the original was too heavy and too bulky. So it preserves the original design concepts, cuts some weight, and has a great deal of fans already. Which is awesome in my book. :thumbup:

Ah, I appreciate the well informed response. I think the new one looks much better and should be a better knife all around. I don't I understand the draw to stay with the original so much I guess. I would hope that any good craftsman would take criticism and suggestions and grow from them in hopes of making s better product.

Ah, I appreciate the well informed response. I think the new one looks much better and should be a better knife all around. I don't I understand the draw to stay with the original so much I guess. I would hope that any good craftsman would take criticism and suggestions and grow from them in hopes of making s better product.

Agreed on the taking suggestions. I'll be interesting to see if GB says anything about the design decisions behind the second version.

However, I genuinely believe his flipper is gonna be the knife that lots o' peeps want the GB to be. :D

I think maybe he is making custom flippers now and people are hoping/guessing that spyderco will follow. Someone correct me if not.

Back