Gayle Bradley Hard Use

So, in addition to the strong build of the Gayle Bradley collaboration knife, the M4 steel is highly lauded for its wear resistance. That's one of the reasons I bought it, so today, it had the chance to show what it was good for.

My wife and I fixed fence today, and used some old electric tape (wire impregnated ribbon used for temporary, high visibility fencing) to block some gaps.

The electric tap is basically about a half dozen small gauge wires coated with plastic. The wire is steel, but the stuff is difficult to cut with most anything but a knife. Of course, the stuff will dull a knife right away, and soon it becomes a real chore to deal with.

I started out using my trusty ZT MUDD, which has a blade of 154CM steel, which holds up fairly well to most chores. It only took about 6 or 7 cuts to dull the MUDD's blade to the point where it was very difficult to cut through the tape with one attempt.

So, I took the opportunity to press my GB into service. Here are the two knives side by side -
IMG00428.jpg

IMG00424.jpg

The GB's M4 steel held up to this challenge a good deal better than the MUDD's 154CM. It seemed to reach a certain level of dullness, but then didn't seem to dull any further. I made perhaps 50 cuts with the GB, and only rarely did I need to make more than one attempt to get through the tape. Here is how I made the cuts -
IMG00426.jpg

After work I touched the blade of the GB up with a ceramic rod, and it quickly returned to paper slicing sharpness. Not quite as sharp as when it started, but pretty impressive.

I'm glad I made the purchase. This knife should hold up to some really hard use. :thumbup: :)

Andy

Good to know.:)
I just wondered with how the liners seem to protrude from the scales.

I've carried mine for over a week now, it kicked my Sage 1 straight outta my pocket the day I held it. The liners are not an issue at all for me, I have medium/large hands. I was using mine to chop old non-plenum rated CAT5 cables (copper wire), after 45 minutes of straight cutting, I was not feeling the liners or anything else but teh awesomeness of the CPM-M4:cool:

Great post, Andy. That's a profound difference in those two blades based on your real experience. I appreciate you taking to time to post your observation.

I didn't think it was possible to get my carry Bradley (I have two) sharper than it was OOTB after a few strokes on the 1200 and a loaded strop but I gave mine a touch up today after some cardboard cutting and general EDC use for about a week and it is sharper than before I used it. I spent about 2 minutes doing the 40/30 Sharpmaker thing with medium then 1200. Then a few strokes on the loaded strop and the knife is so sharp now that I treat it a little more gingerly. Like it could cut me from a distance :)

I really like this CPM M-4 steel and I look forward to the well earned patina when it gets there. In Reno we have almost no humidity so I doubt I will get any patina until I cut food with it though.

P.S. Although I haven't used mine as hard as Yablanowitz or Andy, I have done a lot of single stroke cardboard cutting and I have not experienced any significant discomfort. I am somewhat strong with large hands though so that may have some positive effect. I will also add that the M-4 stands up to cardboard very well. Before my week's end touch up the edge was much more than just a working edge.

Last edited:
I've carried mine for over a week now, it kicked my Sage 1 straight outta my pocket the day I held it. The liners are not an issue at all for me, I have medium/large hands. I was using mine to chop old non-plenum rated CAT5 cables (copper wire), after 45 minutes of straight cutting, I was not feeling the liners or anything else but teh awesomeness of the CPM-M4:cool:

Wow, that good? I've been on the fence about this one, mainly due to the weight. And the Sage 1 is my favorite EDC right now. I can't imagine a knife that could trump the Sage 1 that easily.

Wow, that good? I've been on the fence about this one, mainly due to the weight. And the Sage 1 is my favorite EDC right now. I can't imagine a knife that could trump the Sage 1 that easily.

A lot of the enjoyment in carrying the GB is just knowing you have a tank in your pocket rather than a beefy sports car that doesn't weigh in like a ZT. I love the Sages (big time) too but to be honest, I don't feel my Bradley in my pocket on a daily basis anymore than I do my Sage 2 or 1. I don't feel any of them.

I'm not a 100% subscriber to the notion that 5.5 ounces is excessive anyway.

I can say that real estate aside, I do recall feeling my ZT 0300's before I sold them though.

Coincidently, the knives I have out and handy on my dresser right now are the Sage 2 and the GB.

Last edited:
Nice thread. Thanks for illustrating the hard use capability of the GB. It's on my dream list.

A lot of the enjoyment in carrying the GB is just knowing you have a tank in your pocket rather than a beefy sports car that doesn't weigh in like a ZT. I love the Sages (big time) too but to be honest, I don't feel my Bradley in my pocket on a daily basis anymore than I do my Sage 2 or 1. I don't feel any of them.

I'm not a 100% subscriber to the notion that 5.5 ounces is excessive anyway.

I can say that real estate aside, I do recall feeling my ZT 0300's before I sold them though.

Coincidently, the knives I have out and handy on my dresser right now are the Sage 2 and the GB.

Like I mentioned, my usual "hard use" work folder is my MUDD. It is a heavy folder, but when you have a hammer, pliers, and various staples, nuts and bolts, etc. in your pockets too, it doesn't make much of an impression. I don't carry it for EDC, though.

I mentioned above that when I was done using the GB I put my ceramic rod to it and it sharpened up pretty nicely. I applied my ceramic rod to my MUDD blade this morning..... keep in mind I used the GB quite a bit more than the MUDD to cut this tape..... I'm going to have to sharpen the MUDD on my belt grinder. It was so dull the rod didn't make any appreciable difference. :eek:

I'm impressed with the M4. :thumbup:

Andy

My GB Just bit me.. Damn that thing is sharp.
I'm a little scared of it now. SnG is back in my pocket until the me and GB make up.

Cool post, AC. Poly fence can be a bugger to deal with.... esp when it comes to cutting it. Nice to hear that someone other than myself has to use knives down on the farm. You always hear about folks opening cardboard boxes or using a knife in the woods, but, most folks fail to realize that the true test of any tool is how well it holds up on the farm (a great place to wear-out, ruin, break and/or lose things ;)) :thumbup:

Cool post, AC. Poly fence can be a bugger to deal with.... esp when it comes to cutting it. Nice to hear that someone other than myself has to use knives down on the farm. You always hear about folks opening cardboard boxes or using a knife in the woods, but, most folks fail to realize that the true test of any tool is how well it holds up on the farm (a great place to wear-out, ruin, break and/or lose things ;)) :thumbup:

:thumbup:

If I manage to wear out my GB, I will truly have done something. :D

Let's not talk about breaking/ruining, or losing please! :p

Andy

:thumbup:Thanks for the review.I don't use my folders hard,but it's good to know my GB can take it if I had too.

Hey, that thing is almost as big as the M.U.D.D.:confused:

WHAT!:eek:

Oh man, that just ruined my day. Another knife I need to get. This is why Bladeforums is such an awful place. Most people would never be exposed to comparison pics like that. Here I am, just going about my day, only to get hit in the face with the realization that I'm going to have to buy another knife.

Thanks for the pics.:thumbup:

Hey, that thing is almost as big as the M.U.D.D.:confused:

WHAT!:eek:

Oh man, that just ruined my day. Another knife I need to get. This is why Bladeforums is such an awful place. Most people would never be exposed to comparison pics like that. Here I am, just going about my day, only to get hit in the face with the realization that I'm going to have to buy another knife.

Thanks for the pics.:thumbup:

The MUDD has a bit longer handle, and the handle is thicker, also, but the blades are almost the same size. :thumbup: The MUDD is a bit heavier, too.

Andy

Great post and if you have never worked with that electrical tape you have no idea what a great test this was.

Very impressive.

You really need to flip it open once to appreciate the beautiful F&F. I ended up cutting a total of 70+ CAT5 & CAT3 cables. My technique was straight forward: I bundled up the cables in groups of 5 and would fold them twice in opposite directions to create a kink, then the GB would come in and with a little pressure and a slight angle they were cut.
I could have used some "butter cutters" but I felt that I had an appropriate tool for the job. Blade is still sharp, no chips/nicks, nothing. I highly recommend it.:cool:

You really need to flip it open once to appreciate the beautiful F&F. I ended up cutting a total of 70+ CAT5 & CAT3 cables. My technique was straight forward: I bundled up the cables in groups of 5 and would fold them twice in opposite directions to create a kink, then the GB would come in and with a little pressure and a slight angle they were cut.
I could have used some "butter cutters" but I felt that I had an appropriate tool for the job. Blade is still sharp, no chips/nicks, nothing. I highly recommend it.:cool:

That's amazing

Back