GB1 - perhaps the knife I would miss the most.

I’ve been taking a break from carrying CRK to enjoy a few months with my GB1 in the pocket. I’ve always loved this knife. A few months of very hard use have made me love it even more. I’ve had some tough jobs for this bad boy, and it has delivered in spades. The heat treat and edge retention are worthy of the reputation that M4 has.

If any Spyderco deserves a resurrection, it is this knife. I would miss mine very much if I lost it and could not replace it. It is a such a joy to use, I have to take that risk.

This vid (not mine) spells out my feelings:

And the classic justification for this great design from the man himself:

Amen.

4PqMTsch.jpg

7eYIcbRh.jpg

Hvgrw8wh.jpg

l7uz7l3h.jpg

I love this knife. A while back, it kicked a Sebenza (S30V Classic model) out of my pocket. I carried it for several years until I tried a Para2 in M4. That one didn't last as long until its spot was taken by another Sebenza. The GB1 is one of the few knives I have kept and wouldn't hesitate to carry anywhere again.

Other than the obvious overall great design, steel, and ergonomics, these are two things that I love about this knife:

1- The recessed lock release. Although this was the source of a lot of frustration for some, there is no locking folder I feel safer using when twisting the blade through material, or when withdrawing the blade from an incomplete cut. I can disengage the lock single-handed, but find I usually unlock it with the opposite hand. I’m fine with this for the added safety of the lock design.

2 - I love the thick steel liners. The edges of the liners are beautifully finished and feel nice in the hand, and their overall heft and weight adds confidence when you are pressing hard on the knife. The thinner liners is really what stops me from considering the GB2. It kinda takes away one of the things I like most.

Anyways.........every so often in the knife world, a designer hits a home run. The GB1 was that home run. I wouldn’t change a thing.

I with the rest of y’all. I regret not getting the gb1 every time it was recommended early on and every time I saw it for sale for a steal. There was always some other knife that took priority. Lesson learned.

This is one of those rare talked about Spydercos that I've never owned. Since I see a pre-order for the GB2 on KC for $171 and it is M4... I assume you guys are saying you think the original was better in some way? Why do you prefer the GB1 over the GB2?

I like the thicker liners, finger choil design, blade shape, grip shape, larger Spydie hole, and over all looks of the 1 better. IMO, they should have kept the 1 in production and called the 2 a different model entirely.

Back