Gear Thread

No PWS here. I have an assortment of Larue, Aero, Ruger, Anderson, PSA, 17 Designs.
I have had half of those, and a few others, before settling into a strong addiction to PWS guns.
I’d really like to get a LaRue to see what it’s all about. They’re beautiful rifles.
Everyone has their own taste in mounts, just like rifles, but if I’m buying an optic mount it’s a LaRue- they’ve always worked perfectly for me and are trim and lightweight compared to a lot of the competition. That said, the Scalarworks T1 mount has caught my eye.

What do you guys like for sling setups? I have access to a gun with a 15” lightweight M-Lok upper and a Magpul CTR stock.
I’ll second the Vickers sling. Pretty much any Blue Force Gear product, Magpul ( theirs slide very nicely while adjusting ), and Endomm.
If you’re old, out of shape, or have bad shoulders, you may want something wider than the Vickers, or even the padded Vickers. The Endomm is a bit wider at contact points and is very comfortable without being padded.
There are hundreds of choices, most are the same thing. If you can get your hands on a couple at the local shop before buying it may save you from having “extras” in your gear locker.
If you’re still young, young-ish, solid, and have good shoulders buy anything Vickers or Magpul sling and save yourself the trouble of getting 40 pages deep in researching it.
As far as hooking it up to the weapon goes, I personally hook the sling up directly to a hard loop on the forearm ( Magpul angled loop ) with no QD and have a QD on the buttstock in case I need to remove it. There are as many ways to hook it up as there are choices of sling. Every time I think I’ve settled into how I want it I end up changing something.

Thanks guys. I know there’s a ton of options but so much of them look cheap and basic, figured I’d ask what you like to give me a direction to go for something more quality. I definitely want the QD capability along with being able to wear it single point style or extend it out like a normal rifle sling. That angled loop out front looks like a good option.

I’ll second the Vickers sling. Pretty much any Blue Force Gear product, Magpul ( theirs slide very nicely while adjusting ), and Endomm.
If you’re old, out of shape, or have bad shoulders, you may want something wider than the Vickers, or even the padded Vickers. The Endomm is a bit wider at contact points and is very comfortable without being padded.
There are hundreds of choices, most are the same thing. If you can get your hands on a couple at the local shop before buying it may save you from having “extras” in your gear locker.
If you’re still young, young-ish, solid, and have good shoulders buy anything Vickers or Magpul sling and save yourself the trouble of getting 40 pages deep in researching it.
As far as hooking it up to the weapon goes, I personally hook the sling up directly to a hard loop on the forearm ( Magpul angled loop ) with no QD and have a QD on the buttstock in case I need to remove it. There are as many ways to hook it up as there are choices of sling. Every time I think I’ve settled into how I want it I end up changing something.
Another fan of BFG slings here.

I like that the design has the quick adjustment slider that doesn't leave all sorts of dangly bits unlike some others.

As for padded vs unpadded, the padded sling will limit the slider's range, so if that's important, get the unpadded (FWIW, I don't have any issues with the slider range on the padded slings going from snug, to loose enough to mount weakside, but some may prefer being able to go from super snug, to super loose).

As far as comfort goes between padded vs unpadded that really is an individual thing and all depends on the firearm's weight and how conditioned your shoulders are to the pressure (not to mention things like thicker vs thinner clothing, plate carrier/body armor etc.).

I like Midwest Industries recessed QD swivels. Still has the QD ability, but just about zero chance of the button accidentally being pushed and dropping an expensive rifle on the expensive optic.

BTW, I tried Magpul's QDM sling mount because the concept seemed great. The execution sucks though. The concept was that as opposed to a push button QD, you had sliders on either side that you pulled simultaneously to release the QD (as opposed to pushing the button on regular push button QD mounts, while simultaneously having to grab and pull the mount out of the socket).

In theory, the QDM is supposed to require pulling the sliders on both sides simultaneously (using a simple pinch grip) in order for it to detach (thereby eliminating the possibility of an unintentional detach from snagging on gear etc., since a gear snag would only snag the slider on one side). When I tested them though, they could and would detach from just one slider being pulled, which can easily happen from a gear snag (and would potentially happen much more easily than with a push button QD). Returned them immediately.

Last edited:
I have had half of those, and a few others, before settling into a strong addiction to PWS guns.
I’d really like to get a LaRue to see what it’s all about. They’re beautiful rifles.
Everyone has their own taste in mounts, just like rifles, but if I’m buying an optic mount it’s a LaRue- they’ve always worked perfectly for me and are trim and lightweight compared to a lot of the competition. That said, the Scalarworks T1 mount has caught my eye.
Another fan of Scalarworks here. I've got their Aimpoint mount with a T2. Love it. Solid, yet lightweight (and yes, I tested the return to zero from dismounting and remounting out of curiosity, and it's definitely under 1 MOA).

Also have their LEAP mount with a K16i on another rifle. I like that too, although I prefer Spuhr for anything bigger than an LPVO.

Another fan of BFG slings here.

I like that the design has the quick adjustment slider that doesn't leave all sorts of dangly bits unlike some others.

As for padded vs unpadded, the padded sling will limit the slider's range, so if that's important, get the unpadded (FWIW, I don't have any issues with the slider range on the padded slings going from snug, to loose enough to mount weakside, but some may prefer being able to go from super snug, to super loose).

As far as comfort goes between padded vs unpadded that really is an individual thing and all depends on the firearm's weight and how conditioned your shoulders are to the pressure (not to mention things like thicker vs thinner clothing, plate carrier/body armor etc.).

I like Midwest Industries recessed QD swivels. Still has the QD ability, but just about zero chance of the button accidentally being pushed and dropping an expensive rifle on the expensive optic.

BTW, I tried Magpul's QDM sling mount because the concept seemed great. The execution sucks though. The concept was that as opposed to a push button QD, you had sliders on either side that you pulled simultaneously to release the QD (as opposed to pushing the button on regular push button QD mounts, while simultaneously having to grab and pull the mount out of the socket).

In theory, the QDM is supposed to require pulling the sliders on both sides simultaneously (using a simple pinch grip) in order for it to detach (thereby eliminating the possibility of an unintentional detach from snagging on gear etc., since a gear snag would only snag the slider on one side). When I tested them though, they could and would detach from just one slider being pulled, which can easily happen from a gear snag (and would potentially happen much more easily than with a push button QD). Returned them immediately.

You must have gotten a lemon. I can pull on one side and simultaneously pull straight up on the sling, and it does not pop out. I tried the other side and no go too. On mine, I have to deliberately pull on both sides to get it to release. It's kinda frustrating at times, as I have to fumble and pull both sides equally, or else it won't come out. I have all kinds of QD sling sockets and it's never been a thought in my head, as I've never had any issues out of them.

CPZ9OmJ.jpg

30wqgNo.jpg

I also picked up an Elzetta mount for my lightweight carbine build. I have an Elzetta mount on my Marine Magnum and it's been awesome over the years.
M60YX4b.jpg

I like Vickers sling too. I have a padded one on my AR on magpul button QD things. It’s a bit short for me though, so now having read these posts I’m gonna try the unpadded one. Button sling is a good single point sling but single point is mostly good if you like getting smacked in the nads with your gun.

I like Vickers sling too. I have a padded one on my AR on magpul button QD things. It’s a bit short for me though, so now having read these posts I’m gonna try the unpadded one. Button sling is a good single point sling but single point is mostly good if you like getting smacked in the nads with your gun.

I tried single point slings and hated it. The rifle feels like its bobbling around all the time and like you said, smacking you in the nads. I prefer 2 point as it keeps it tucked up close to your body and not a whole lot of movement when walking or running.

You must have gotten a lemon. I can pull on one side and simultaneously pull straight up on the sling, and it does not pop out. I tried the other side and no go too. On mine, I have to deliberately pull on both sides to get it to release. It's kinda frustrating at times, as I have to fumble and pull both sides equally, or else it won't come out. I have all kinds of QD sling sockets and it's never been a thought in my head, as I've never had any issues out of them.

CPZ9OmJ.jpg

30wqgNo.jpg
I wonder if they redesigned them or changed the specs? I got them when they first came out (bought 3 pairs. Opened and tested 3 just in case the first was a fluke, but all 3 did it. Returned all 6 and immediately wrote an email to their CS).

I might have to try ordering another pair to give them a try again.

Last edited:
I tried single point slings and hated it. The rifle feels like its bobbling around all the time and like you said, smacking you in the nads. I prefer 2 point as it keeps it tucked up close to your body and not a whole lot of movement when walking or running.
Lol, yep about single point.

Also, the 2-point slings are much easier to toss/slide over your shoulder to back carry position if you need to climb up/over something.

A friend of mine asked me to find him some night vision goggles because some bobcats killed his favorite hen and a duck last night, and he wants to shoot them. Anyone know of a good set? I had suggested a thermal scope too but maybe night vision + any compatible red dot would be better?

A rich friend of mine asked me to find him some night vision goggles because some bobcats killed his favorite hen and a duck last night, and he wants to shoot them. Anyone know of a good set? I had suggested a thermal scope too but maybe night vision + any compatible red dot would be better?
For hunting, thermal is definitely the way to go. Mammals are super easy to spot with those.

Another alternative would be the eCOTI or other hybrid/overlay setups (NV with thermal overlay). How rich? The range goes from ~$2k for good, to $20+k.

For hunting, thermal is definitely the way to go. Mammals are super easy to spot with those.

Another alternative would be the eCOTI or other hybrid/overlay setups (NV with thermal overlay). How rich? The range goes from ~$2k for good, to $20+k.
I think something good under 5 figures would be a pretty easy sell. After I posted that I started wondering whether thermal would make more sense. I need to find him a good predator/varmint gun too.

Back