Gear Thread

Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers. I've now worn these at least 5 days a week for over 2 years and they are by far the best boots I've ever owned.

Iā€™ve been trying to break in a pair of Hoffman Explorers (6ā€) but it just ainā€™t happening, my feet donā€™t like more than 5 miles or so in them. Iā€™m ready to soak them in warm water and wear them for a few hours to stretch them out some to see if that helps but Iā€™m going to start looking for something else as well, these are quite stiff as far as a sole rating goes so theyā€™re not great for general hiking for me.

I am pretty excited about this new back pack. Iā€™ve been admiring a few mystery ranch packs for a few years now. They are pretty pricey and never really seem to be on sale. Even when they are discounted they are a bit much for my budget.
Iā€™ve been using a The North Face 65l pack for the past five or so years. Itā€™s a decent pack but definitely for lighter loads. I have a tendency to pack heavy. I noticed some of the stitching starting to give way on this last hike in September. So I started looking at packs when we got home.
One of the packs I googled was the Mystery Ranch terraframe 80. This is the model Iā€™ve been drooling over. Wasnā€™t able to find any deals on it.
But I did find a terraframe 65 on clearance. Last one, old model and possibly in my size. I fall between sizes kind of. I paid less than you would have for an A2 Shiv direct from CPK back in the day.
And these things are built to carry heavy. Plus the pack can be moved away from the frame/harness and you can carry extra in that space.
AF6A6850-6CF9-445D-BBB3-7BAB93A26C8A.jpeg6D635172-4758-456B-8E68-6E36E63B5238.jpeg
Iā€™ve already adjusted it for fit. And although I havenā€™t carried it loaded I can already say itā€™s the most comfortable pack Iā€™ve ever owned. Like going from a chevette to a corvette.
This is one of those times where the hype seems earned.

Added some hip pockets. Loaded it up with some gear. Itā€™s the same volume as my old pack but this seems to handle my gear better. Definitely gets the load riding on my hips better than the old pack and the waist belt is really comfortable.
64D89D9E-5F7D-4966-BE18-40B78B11CA1B.jpeg

Speaking of Mystery Ranch I just grabbed one of their collaborations with Carryology, the Cerberus. I think Iā€™m about off the Carryology hype train but itā€™s a pretty neat little pack and just enough for taking my laptop, coffee, and a jacket to work.

Nicest piece of gear I ownšŸ¤Æ Kind of a celebratory thing, that K18 getting published was a pretty big milestone for mešŸ˜
1668360294244845165401401032134.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I have the same one (and the 50th Anniversary GMT). The wave dial (especially the blue) looks really sweet when it catches the light.

Funny quirk of mine though, back when the SMP was my daily, I deliberately bought the blue rubber deployant strap for the SMP, because I found it more comfortable, and as I'd hoped, it pretty much ended random females complimenting me on the watch. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜…

Then I just went back to wearing a G-Shock daily šŸ˜‚

Nice. I have the same one (and the 50th Anniversary GMT). The wave dial (especially the blue) looks really sweet when it catches the light.

Funny quirk of mine though, back when the SMP was my daily, I deliberately bought the blue rubber deployant strap for the SMP, because I found it more comfortable, and as I'd hoped, it pretty much ended random females complimenting me on the watch. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜…

Then I just went back to wearing a G-Shock daily šŸ˜‚

I had the Citizen version of that watch...which I wore for diving, entries and such back in the day. Still have it downstairs in the shop, but it hasn't seen a battery change in a decade or two.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 2.13.17 PM.png

(Goofing off after an op in Miami. Yeah, we're bad. šŸ¤£ )

Thanks bud. I think I got all serious and funked the jive on the gear thread tho. Might need Nathan to drop some goat pics to straighten things out :D

Here's a piece of gear that I really like when it's needed. It's a baldric carry built by Chuddy Bear, and I'm sure any of our quality makers here would build a great one. I had this one built so that the frog accepts a large teklok. That way you can snap on/off any large blade or piece of equipment that is teklok compatible.

OMQLM1F.jpg

oQAYcwO.jpg

WjhOuPD.jpg

5NIqXbll.jpg
Thatā€™s awesome !

Back