Gear Thread

That one is actually the Big Boy model. It's all the saw I'll ever need though!
Have you tried the curved blade models? I've got the yellow handled curved Big Boy 2000 360mm and the Ultra Accel 240mm. The Ultra is the one that usually gets packed as it's more compact, and I don't really bother with anything thicker than it can handle.

Last time I tried, the curved BB 360 was faster than the straight BB 360, and you can just get the replacement blades. The handles fit both IIRC.

Have you tried the curved blade models? I've got the yellow handled curved Big Boy 2000 360mm and the Ultra Accel 240mm. The Ultra is the one that usually gets packed as it's more compact, and I don't really bother with anything thicker than it can handle.

Last time I tried, the curved BB 360 was faster than the straight BB 360, and you can just get the replacement blades. The handles fit both IIRC.

Do you watch Survival Russia?

Casio Rangeman
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G...o+rangeman&dpPl=1&dpID=51h-o5EjEXL&ref=plSrch
I like the G-Shock impact/vibration/abuse resistance, waterproofing, Tough Solar (solar/ambient light charging) and atomic clock sync.

For outdoorsy types, the Rangeman has a barometric sensor that periodically takes measurements (has a compass and thermometer too. Compass is sort of OK, thermometer would require the watch be off your wrist and allowed to reach ambient temps for any worthwile reading).

In the pic where it reads 'Wed', you can push a button to instead continuously display a graph of the barometric readings. If the graph is a steady downward slope, precipitation is usually imminent. Good for cloudy overcast conditions if you haven't checked weather updates.

Got it on Jet for $150 shipped when they had some special discount, so I'm not particularly concerned about abusing it. That's 1/3rd the price of a full service at Nesbit's for the Omega.

Lol, I just googled it, and the first video it pulled up was his self parody montage with the curved BB 360mm of how often he goes, "Uhhh..."

I found him while researching Silky saws. 2 of his favs are the ones you have. I also have them. Wasn’t sure it was a coincidence.

I found him while researching Silky saws. 2 of his favs are the ones you have. I also have them. Wasn’t sure it was a coincidence.
Ah, ok. That is an interesting coincidence.

I used to carry the Super Accel 210mm, because it was compact and light (cut through a ~12" tree that fell across a trail with that once. Sawed 2 notches, then through the middle).

Buddy got the BB 360mm. I tried the curved BB 360mm first and compared it to his straight 360mm, and it gets through faster, but I felt it was a little big, given that I generally stick to 4-6" diameter, so I got the Goldilocks Ultra Accel 240mm.

when ya need to burn dinosaur bones
753mWkq.jpg

My Big Boy has cut everything I have put in front of it! I’ve seen the curved blade models but have never used them before. I love Silky saws. They are probably the best I’ve used, with the Sven not far behind it.

My nearly 25 year-old backpacking tent. Since purchased, the wife and I have spent a lot of nights in this tent across 5 different states (CO, WY, UT, AZ, and TX). We even spent a week in various areas down in the Grand Canyon in this tent! :cool: Havasupai Falls was incredible! :thumbsup:

IMG_2492.jpg

It even "survived" a bear attack near Aspen, CO in 2002. :eek: Side torn wide open, and some holes in/around the door. No, we didn't have food in the tent, lest you might ask. Just our sleeping bags. The Denver flagship REI store used to do gear repairs. For about $75, it was expertly repaired, almost as good as new. Repairs were even electronically welded shut to maintain the waterproofing. :thumbsup:

This pic ^^^ was from a fishing trip early last Fall. Only a week before the first snow fell there. We caught a few of these:

IMG_2491.jpg

:D

^ Nice haul bud! This Eagle Claw pole has been with me forever. Reels come and go, but ole yeller is still going.

Ym1NnDc.jpg

the Ultra Accel 240mm.

That's my go-to saw as well. I like everything about it. I've got a boreal 21 which is more rugged, but still the ultra accel ends up in the pack. Shout out to @ManOfSteel89 for turning me onto the ultra accel and @Silver Needle for getting me looking at silkys in the first place.

XQSHvSz.jpg

Gobspark Armageddon firesteels are a dang nice piece of gear as well.

aavaDo5.jpg

My Big Boy has cut everything I have put in front of it! I’ve seen the curved blade models but have never used them before. I love Silky saws. They are probably the best I’ve used, with the Sven not far behind it.
Had a Sven once upon a time. I definitely prefer the Silky saws. No size limitations/interference with that odd triangular shape.

The one downside to the Silky saws is having to 'educate' anyone you might allow to use it. I've found that females are more receptive to instruction on using a Silky saw.

Males are more likely to go, "I know how to use a damn saw", and not listen to the, "it only cuts on the pull stroke. Don't use pressure on the push, or you could bend/snap it", and try to muscle the saw.

^ Nice haul bud! This Eagle Claw pole has been with me forever. Reels come and go, but ole yeller is still going.

Ym1NnDc.jpg

That's my go-to saw as well. I like everything about it. I've got a boreal 21 which is more rugged, but still the ultra accel ends up in the pack. Shout out to @ManOfSteel89 for turning me onto the ultra accel and @Silver Needle for getting me looking at silkys in the first place.

XQSHvSz.jpg

Gobspark Armageddon firesteels are a dang nice piece of gear as well.

aavaDo5.jpg
Lol, figures that folks on the CPK forum would have similar appreciation for quality backpacking saws.

For ferro rods, I really like the UST BlastMatch. I've tried using it 1-handed, just in case, and it works, both putting the tip on the ground and shoving down hard, or holding it in the air, and squeezing the rod in with my index finger.

For ferro rods, I really like the UST BlastMatch. I've tried using it 1-handed, just in case, and it works, both putting the tip on the ground and shoving down hard, or holding it in the air, and squeezing the rod in with my index finger.

I haven't used the blast match, but I have used the Sparkie that UST also makes. It is a good option for striking one-handed as well. Certainly not a bad idea to have a one-handed striker with you in case of injury or the main striker gets lost and I'm glad to know the Blast Match works as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Had a Sven once upon a time. I definitely prefer the Silky saws. No size limitations/interference with that odd triangular shape.

The one downside to the Silky saws is having to 'educate' anyone you might allow to use it. I've found that females are more receptive to instruction on using a Silky saw.

Males are more likely to go, "I know how to use a damn saw", and not listen to the, "it only cuts on the pull stroke. Don't use pressure on the push, or you could bend/snap it", and try to muscle the saw.

That's what I like about both, they have their advantages and disadvantages. The Silky cuts more efficiently, but there's a small learning curve in using it. With the Sven, you can go all ape crazy with your sawing and not worry about snapping your blade.

Here's an old review I did comparing the two: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/silky-saws.1468513/page-2#post-16903371

Back