Gear Thread

Serious question, Lorien Lorien . Do you like those speed laces?

I like the hook style, but nobody makes the cast brass ones anymore, they are all stamped sheet metal that bend open (or get smashed shut). I haven't tried the full-loop style speed laces.
they're convenient but likely not as durable as those brass hooks. Can't believe how light these are, wearing them today in the shop and I feel taller already!

Time is always an issue.
If you attempt to do it, the Haynes manuals are great.
I’ve got the Haynes and the VW bible. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it without somebody on hand that actually knows what they are doing. This guy is a really good mechanic. He’s semi-retired and only works on old VW’s now. He still owns and drives his 68 VW transporter, which was his first car. He’s honest too. When you go to pick up your vehicle he will have all the old parts laid out on a table. He then goes over everything he did and why. He then shows you invoices of where he got the parts and what they cost. Out west (around Portland at least) shops like this are pretty easy to find. That’s not the case in Ohio.
The last rebuild was 15+ years ago. He thinks it will be at the low end of his quote but said he won’t know for sure until he gets it apart and finds out exactly what he needs and needs to do.
If I did it myself and then something went wrong, I’d hate myself for killing Helga.

I’ve got the Haynes and the VW bible. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it without somebody on hand that actually knows what they are doing. This guy is a really good mechanic. He’s semi-retired and only works on old VW’s now. He still owns and drives his 68 VW transporter, which was his first car. He’s honest too. When you go to pick up your vehicle he will have all the old parts laid out on a table. He then goes over everything he did and why. He then shows you invoices of where he got the parts and what they cost. Out west (around Portland at least) shops like this are pretty easy to find. That’s not the case in Ohio.
The last rebuild was 15+ years ago. He thinks it will be at the low end of his quote but said he won’t know for sure until he gets it apart and finds out exactly what he needs and needs to do.
If I did it myself and then something went wrong, I’d hate myself for killing Helga.

Start a Go-Fund-Me to rebuild Helga.

Don’t worry. There is no link.
But I am getting the rebuild done.
I’ll be calling the mechanic today with the “go ahead”.

No hard feelings on that, just didn't want someone getting in trouble for posting a link that is against forum rules. :)

That's awesome news!!! Boy, you're in debt with the wife for awhile! :eek:

lCnY8UX.jpg
BadAss boots! I hope you enjoy them! I have a new pair still in the box (under my bed) for when I destroy my current pair of these. ;)

4967DB62-6F50-48A4-9B3F-600C2422C823.jpeg Canyon coolers are on sale for a few more days. If you’re into coolers, check out Canyon Coolers. Made in Flagstaff Arizona. If I remember correctly, they hold ice the longest and a fraction of the price of the big names.

I have the 22 and the 35 quart.
I use em for getting groceries in the summer. I live 23 miles from my grocery store and 8 miles to the nearest gas station. So Ive tried some coolers over the years and these are the best imo.

Last edited:
Unpaid and unsolicited feedback :)

I decided to go with an MXG pocket clip for my Gayle Bradley 1 folder instead of Casey Lynch West, because I had some fitment issues in the past with CLW's Ti pocket clips for my Spydies. I had instances when it was a PITA to get the hardware line up correctly with the clip hole and also a case when the darn hardware (it was the original clip's screws on a PM2) coming loose! Maybe I just lucked out on this one but I'm just that much more impressed with MXG. They even provide 6 torx screws (3 shorter and 3 longer ones) since the clip is supposed to fit a variety of Spydie patterns. I never had to use their screws because my own heavily customized GB1's pocket clip's screws fitted just fine :thumbsup:

Take it FWIW, but I will be ordering directly from MXG from here on out. I registered my phone number so I was even getting text updates on top of email updates for a pittance $26 pocket clip and like $3.50 worth of USPS 1st-Class Mail shipping. I truly appreciate this kind of professionalism :)

gye145Q.jpg

P.S. But you do get a fancier presentation box from Casey if that's your thang! ;)

Unpaid and unsolicited feedback :)

I decided to go with an MXG pocket clip for my Gayle Bradley 1 folder instead of Casey Lynch West, because I had some fitment issues in the past with CLW's Ti pocket clips for my Spydies. I had instances when it was a PITA to get the hardware line up correctly with the clip hole and also a case when the darn hardware (it was the original clip's screws on a PM2) coming loose! Maybe I just lucked out on this one but I'm just that much more impressed with MXG. They even provide 6 torx screws (3 shorter and 3 longer ones) since the clip is supposed to fit a variety of Spydie patterns. I never had to use their screws because my own heavily customized GB1's pocket clip's screws fitted just fine :thumbsup:

Take it FWIW, but I will be ordering directly from MXG from here on out. I registered my phone number so I was even getting text updates on top of email updates for a pittance $26 pocket clip and like $3.50 worth of USPS 1st-Class Mail shipping. I truly appreciate this kind of professionalism :)

gye145Q.jpg

P.S. But you do get a fancier presentation box from Casey if that's your thang! ;)
Yep. Can 2nd that. Got a couple of their blacked out deep carry clips for my ZT folders.

I'll have gotten two months out of these boots by the time they get warrantied, which will have been just enough time for them to finish the job
9dVGfv2.jpg

under Danner's awesome warranty, I was given 99% off any other footwear up to $300, and can be refunded the 1% once I destroy the old pair. So I ordered some Crag Rats, which are just about the perfect boots for trail stalking!

PSA for those who happen to like the OLight flashlights:

OLight is currently having an up to 40% off "flash sale" on their website for the new Warrior-X series plus also offering a bundle package. I think that it is against the rules to provide a link but you can easily Google it using: Olight + Flash Sale. This sale is good only for this Jan 31st.

I'll have gotten two months out of these boots by the time they get warrantied, which will have been just enough time for them to finish the job
9dVGfv2.jpg

under Danner's awesome warranty, I was given 99% off any other footwear up to $300, and can be refunded the 1% once I destroy the old pair. So I ordered some Crag Rats, which are just about the perfect boots for trail stalking!

I had problems with the Craig Rats so I sent them back and got the Crater Rims, awesome boots. I have 4 pairs of Danners and aside from a very old pair of Pronghorns they are my favorite pair.

Probably not as hardcore of a boot as many here would use, but my wife just bought me a pair of Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers. So far they are a lot more comfortable than I thought they would be.

Back