Gearheads Unite: What do you drive or ride?

I was going to respond to this thread, but sorry I dont think my two vehicles, that you guys have probably never heard of would cut the mustard. Anyhow here's my two-penny's worth Ford Transit short wheel base van 2.2 TDCI (diesel), and a Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5 TDCI - the biggest engine available in the Ford Ranger here is 3.2 - no 5L V10!!! :(

Olive Drab Honda Ridgeline daily driver and my 89 Fox body Mustang that is still a work in progress. More mods than I'm willing to type. I have two new fenders to add from a newer Fox body (91+ wider wheel openings for the larger wheel/tire package that is going on) and all new trim to install when it gets painted...hopefully shortly. Either a Procharger or a 250 shot of spray is also in its future.

06 M5 and 96 4Runner.

large.jpg

I was going to respond to this thread, but sorry I dont think my two vehicles, that you guys have probably never heard of would cut the mustard. Anyhow here's my two-penny's worth Ford Transit short wheel base van 2.2 TDCI (diesel), and a Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5 TDCI - the biggest engine available in the Ford Ranger here is 3.2 - no 5L V10!!! :(

The Ford Ranger was discontinued in the States years ago. To fill the 'gap', Ford made the F150 smaller.

FYI, the V10 is 6.8L gasoline engine. You won't be fitting one of those in a Ford Ranger without some serious modifications. ;)
It also gets 13mpg. But back in '04 the V8 was underpowered, so the V10 was the only real alternative to diesel.

The V10 was discontinued when the new V8 design came out. The new V8 is 6.2L and has more power than the old V10, and gets better mileage. :thumbup:

Some horsepower ratings for comparison:

English trucks
Ford Ranger Thunder TDI diesel 2.5L, 143hp

American trucks
Ford gasoline V10, 310hp. Increased to 360hp in later models.
New gasoline V8, 385hp. The diesel V8 has 440hp.

Gavin S.- Great looking e60 M5! I think it looks classiest in dark blue. I almost bought an e39 M5 a couple of years ago. For the combination of luxury, performance, and practicality, I don't think there are any better cars. Only equal cars. :thumbup:

The Ford Ranger was discontinued in the States years ago. To fill the 'gap', Ford made the F150 smaller.

FYI, the V10 is 6.8L gasoline engine. You won't be fitting one of those in a Ford Ranger without some serious modifications. ;)
It also gets 13mpg. But back in '04 the V8 was underpowered, so the V10 was the only real alternative to diesel.

The V10 was discontinued when the new V8 design came out. The new V8 is 6.2L and has more power than the old V10, and gets better mileage. :thumbup:

Some horsepower ratings for comparison:

English trucks
Ford Ranger Thunder TDI diesel 2.5L, 143hp

American trucks
Ford gasoline V10, 310hp. Increased to 360hp in later models.
New gasoline V8, 385hp. The diesel V8 has 440hp.

ERmmm......can I do a trade in for the diesel V8 please 143hp to 440hp would do me nicely ;) I think I get about 25-33 mpg - would be interesting to know what the V8 diesel gets? What I do use, and have done with all my trucks is heel them with BF Goodrich AT. Have done 40k on them and they are still sweet looking. I did have some BFG Mud T on a pickup, but like to "drift" too much around roundabouts (plenty of these in England) in wet conditions - brilliant in mud though (as expected). Whats the US equivalent of the Toyota HiLux? Here we have a 3.0 D4D I think produces around 180hp :( still not on a par with that V8.

Can I throw something into the pot for you guys. I can see some sweet looking "older" cars and trucks here. Do you think that generally speaking there is a "need" by people to want to upgrade vehicles on a regular basis? I think here, maybe in more urban areas, that people like to "keep up with the Joneses" i.e. keep up or better than their neighbours. However, just looking at vehicles above e.g. an 06 M5 what else "modern" wise would you want or indeed need. Great looking motors guys I have to say!

Can I throw something into the pot for you guys. I can see some sweet looking "older" cars and trucks here. Do you think that generally speaking there is a "need" by people to want to upgrade vehicles on a regular basis? I think here, maybe in more urban areas, that people like to "keep up with the Joneses" i.e. keep up or better than their neighbours. However, just looking at vehicles above e.g. an 06 M5 what else "modern" wise would you want or indeed need. Great looking motors guys I have to say!

People just get bored with vehicles really quickly. I would be very interested in the statistics showing how many people have never paid off a car in its entirety in their lifetime.

I plan on keeping cars forever, and changing motorcycles more often. :)

I think the old adage of you pay for quality kicks in here. I have bought cheap vehicles in the past only to regret it when it they have gone wrong! How much money have I wasted, when what I should have done was sit down, take my time, and part with a good wedge of cash for something of good quality and keep it! I have always wanted to get into motorcycles, but have never organised the full bike test here. I know I should have done it when I first past my car test, as the red tape now is unbelievable!

People just get bored with vehicles really quickly. I would be very interested in the statistics showing how many people have never paid off a car in its entirety in their lifetime.

I plan on keeping cars forever, and changing motorcycles more often. :)

This "need" usually applies to your average car owner more than car/bike enthusiasts. The same kind of people who always need a bigger house, newer appliances, new TV, etc. To the superficial member of society, the above mentioned things are status symbols.

I think that a lot of people that are into their vehicles as more than just a "point A to point B" thing are more concerned with just keeping their vehicle running and entertaining as long as possible. Age of the car is more or less irrelevant to the enthusiast. If anything, older vehicles are more sought after to them, due to the lack of ready availability.

My point is, my mentality is that I'll drive my car till it either explodes or is no longer fun to drive and can't be improved upon further than it already has been. I drive a 10 year old car and am buying a 25 year old car in the near future, so my cars are actually getting older lol.

My only modern dream car is a new superduty diesel, those engines are making monstrous amounts of torque. The wife wants a Panamera for the family car, if I was rich I would make that happen because they look sexy!

But really if I did have an unlimited budget, I'm not into crazy supercars, or luxurious euro stuff. I love american, a saleen S7 would fit the bill, or the Ford GT. My favorite realistic car to buy would be an old fastback mustand. I love those!

Whats the US equivalent of the Toyota HiLux?

The small Toyota truck in the states is called a Tacoma. I've read some articles, mostly conjecture, that the Tacoma and HiLux will merge into a single model in the future. The Tacoma has a 4-cylindar or V6 option, both gasoline. No small trucks in the states use diesel, I think because they can't pass emission tests. The 4-cyl has 159hp and the V6 has 236hp.

The 'real' truck that Toyota sells here is the Tundra. The Tundra has three engine options, all gasoline. They rate at 270hp (V6), 310hp (V8), and the good one is 380hp (V8).

Can I throw something into the pot for you guys. I can see some sweet looking "older" cars and trucks here....

Prices keep going up. Pay is stagnant. Vehicles last longer than ever before. So the average age of cars on the road is older than ever before. It's hard to tell though because car designs don't change as much or as often; many five year old cars look identical to new ones.

My purchasing cycle:
1- Buy the best used car or truck that I can afford.
2- Drive it until there's nothing left
3- Repeat
:thumbup:

One lesson I've learned, never waste money on a vehicle that isn't exactly what I want. :grumpy:

07 Cayman S, bought new, still lovin it.

porsche70D.jpg

06 Streetglide, bought new, still lovin it.

sg1.jpg

11 Tacoma, V6, 20 MPG combined, grocery getter, bought new, still lovin it.

2011tacoma.jpg

Wife's 07 4 Runner, bought new, still lovin it.

4runner.jpg

Insurance agent loves me ... the feeling isn't mutual.

Chief- That Cayman S is beautiful. Good choice on color too.

gooeytek- Are you running a staggered setup on your wheels? Looks to be so, the way the front wheels bow out and back wheels sit flat. My Z is the same way. What are your wheel dimensions?

1990 300ZX 2+2 NA, 5 speed
2000 Subaru Impreza AWD, 5 speed

Cool to see another Z driver, and in Georgia as well. :thumbup:

Back