GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

I picked up this 2008 Inferno Red from Russell (Rusty1) at the rendezvous. I am very pleasantly surprised by this stout little big knife. It's been in my pocket every day since I got it.

I actually look at it as "Lucky 13" vs unlucky:thumbsup::)

wHuuwe.jpg

eBYo1i.jpg

I picked up this 2008 Inferno Red from Russell (Rusty1) at the rendezvous. I am very pleasantly surprised by this stout little big knife. It's been in my pocket every day since I got it.

wHuuwe.jpg

eBYo1i.jpg
That is pretty nice Paul .

Harry

Last edited:
Just curious why is the 25 so popular?
I truly wondered the same thing Thin Slice. I was puzzled as I like a bigger knife. I briefly owned a single blade EO at one time but I deemed it to small.

On a whim I picked up my two blade posted above and really enjoy it. This would not be the first time I rediscovered a pattern and liked it more the second time around.

I truly wondered the same thing Thin Slice. I was puzzled as I like a bigger knife. I briefly owned a single blade EO at one time but I deemed it to small.

On a whim I picked up my two blade posted above and really enjoy it. This would not be the first time I rediscovered a pattern and liked it more the second time around.

Just my preference but because i use my folders a lot to cut fruits/veggies at work (apples, pears, cucumbers, tomato, etc) i need at least 3 inch blade. To be honest i prefer at least 3.5 inch but for slipjoints not really a option unless you go to customs. Also i like my folders single blade only. The 25 blade seems very small to me. Is it 2.5 inch? Then again to each his own depending on their use.

Just my preference but because i use my folders a lot to cut fruits/veggies at work (apples, pears, cucumbers, tomato, etc) i need at least 3 inch blade. To be honest i prefer at least 3.5 inch but for slipjoints not really a option unless you go to customs. Also i like my folders single blade only. The 25 blade seems very small to me. Is it 2.5 inch? Then again to each his own depending on their use.

We share similar daily uses, so a bigger knife is favored as well. I have not carried it as my only knife, although it's certainly more than capable as a sole carry for many. I also carry an additional knife that measures 3 1/2 to 3 7/8. That said after using the #25 this past week, I could see it being a sole carry option with me implementing some ingenuity:thumbsup:

Paul, that's a beautiful "old" (;)) #25 you picked up!

I've been pleasantly surprised with the #25's capabilities, and have never hesitated to carry one as my only knife on any given day. This Ebony #25 is the only knife I brought with me on our trip to the UK this week.

M6qvqYh.jpg

As you mentioned, Thin-Slice Thin-Slice , it does come up a bit short (literally) for slicing fruits and vegetables, but I don't use my pocket knives for that purpose too often (though I have made a #25 work as an apple slicer in a pinch).

My favorite thing about this pattern is that, although it is small, it doesn't feel particularly small compared to other similarly sized patterns. I'd take a #25 over a #14 any day.

Received the last one in polished stag today to complete full series of eight in the new 25 run. The picture doesn't really show it but it is highly polished to a very nice sheen...also the mid and back pins are larger, flush, and rounded which I thought was different/cool.

pK5q1AD.jpg
Nice job on the set! I like the polished stags.:thumbsup: Do you have a favorite?

Here you go Mark. It's an older photo with the calf roper.
View attachment 753481
Alan, what a great showing of stag! I can see why its 'the one'. Thanks for the pic!

I think these Ironwood versions came out quite nice. If I had to pick one negative, it is the deep set pins. If they get any deeper, there's not going to be any material left for them to secure down. I know this is a topic that comes up frequently about it being a time saver or something along those lines, but honestly there's no real valid reason for it in my opinion.
FN3S7Mo.jpg

YfWKppq.jpg
Bob, very nice color and wood on yours. Mine is a little dark, but still nice. Agree with you on the pins. We don't usually see the top pin sunken like that too. The spring at half stop is a little weird, also. I hate to see GEC lightening the pulls on everything, (like it seems they are doing) and wonder if this has anything to do with the backspring at half.

Unique and lovely, Travman. Some great colors in yours!

wHuuwe.jpg

eBYo1i.jpg
That bone is very handsome, Paul and I sure like the small clip secondary. I always call it 'lucky' 13 too!:thumbsup:

Just curious why is the 25 so popular?
People love the size. But, mostly it is the good looks.

I'm curious if the #25 pattern has any corresponding historical pattern that it is based on or did GEC just recently invent the pattern?

Last edited:
Back