GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Here is a pic of the box full of Ebony slabs for the 35. Kind of hard to see but you can kind of make out a fair amount of variation in the grain.

tZ5hhQZ.jpg

Anyone know where they are sourcing their Ebony from? It can make a huge difference as to color, i.e. Gabon(Gaboon) Ebony generally being solid black, while some types of Asian are more brown, Indian(sub-continent) streaky and variable, etc. Personally the F&F version is holding my attention, but one of each wouldn't be bad, he said despairingly.
Thanks, Neal

Well, I asked Randy Bell where the Ebony will come from, have to see if he responds, or is able to reveal.
Thanks, Neal

Anyone know where they are sourcing their Ebony from? It can make a huge difference as to color, i.e. Gabon(Gaboon) Ebony generally being solid black, while some types of Asian are more brown, Indian(sub-continent) streaky and variable, etc. Personally the F&F version is holding my attention, but one of each wouldn't be bad, he said despairingly.
Thanks, Neal

I don't think it's been specified. On recent runs, Gabon Ebony is called "Gabon Ebony", and everything else is just ebony.

I'd put my money on Macassar judging by the slab photo above.

Thanks, Neal
The two types of ebony they use most is Gabon and Macassar. On the tour they showed a large block (maybe 4"x 4" by 14") of Macassar that had zero black in it. It was pretty, but not black at all. If you have seen any of the #15 boys knives - one armed jacks - that's the color.

I have 2 of last years 35 Harness Jacks, they are very dark mostly black. DOn't remember what type of ebony that was, I was hoping that these would be like that.

I actually just looked at an unamed pre-order site and it states Gabon Ebony

Randy responded that it should be Gabon as opposed to(thanks couldn't get Macassar out) the Macassar.
Thanks, Neal

Randy responded that it should be Gabon as opposed to(thanks couldn't get Macassar out) the Macassar.
Thanks, Neal

I have a #77 in Macassar Ebony. I think it is a beautiful wood - a greyish tan. But these new #35s are Gabon. I have both of last years #35 Harness Jacks. They are wonderful!
Since I only buy 3 3/4 inch knives, The upcoming #35s and #78s are great for me.
I am in for a #35 yellow rose and the green. Don’t know about the jigged bone, though. GEC jigging isn’t the best imo.

Where are you folks seeing a jigged bone option for the Churchill? Are we assuming the AAPK version will have jigged bone covers?

This pattern is just a dream to use in this configuration - single spring. I have used my BF #35 more than any other knife. That knife made me realize how much I love an awl.

With the new Churchill, two very useful blades on an incredible pattern makes for a great hard use pocketable knife.

I cannot make my mind up as to which one I want. I like long pulls but usually prefer Tidioute trim.

My (now Will Power's) 35 Bladeforum Drover has about a 5 pull on the Spear blade and about a 7 on the Punch.

What's the pull on the 35's?

The 2 made last year - the pull is smooth like butter! One back spring, no half stops. I just love ‘em. I don’t know about the calf pens, nor will I ever experience them.
I hope the Churchill pull is just like the 2016 harness jack and drover!

Back