GEC #35 Churchill Thread

View attachment 817113 View attachment 817114

The Churchill is quite a knife. Slightly longer and heavier than my usual pocket carry, but so well turned out that I’ll put up with that. Something about the Cougar Claw has been calling to me. Too bad for my wallet that they did not sell out immediately. But I agree with others who say that this knife will be considered a classic one day. In fact, it almost already is.

I am rather stoked that you find the knife agreeable. I said it earlier in the thread but I will say it again, I do think this Churchill is a bit of a sleeper hit. I am not a betting man but I would venture to say that if GEC ever decides to do another run of these and there are SFOs involved, you will see these fly off the shelves a bit faster. I think the Northwoods Delta Jack is a good indication of that...

It is a beautifully engineered pattern that GEC executed extremely well, it has been very hard not to have mine in my pocket practically every day since getting it. I will be curious to hear what folks will have to say next year when the Churchill has become a bit of a distant memory and is no longer available. A bit of a classic indeed.

Since I got my #35 Drover forum knife last year, I thought this would be a nice sized frame for a scout knife.

Reactions: HST
It's here! It's here! :)
First impressions: GEC is getting better at sharpening. A few strokes on the Sharpmaker to take off a tiny burr near the tip of the main blade, and it's ready to go to work. Of course I could polish the edge a bit, but I don't feel I need to. Everything functions perfectly. I think the only negative is that the spine of the thin sheepfoot hits the inside of my middle finger knuckle when gripping the handle with the clip blade open. So yeah, I intend to file the kick to drop that blade a little.

It's not quite the inky black, pore-less ebony I'd hoped for, but it's not bad. I like it, and am anxious to start a patina.
#35 Churchill 1_002.jpg #35 Churchill 2_001.jpg
I think this one could become a classic. A nice, medium sized knife: slim enough to carry well in a pocket, big enough to do some work, with a thin sheepfoot for small detailed tasks. I'm definitely glad I snagged one. :D :thumbsup:

I agree the Churchill is an instant classic. My thicker stag version has so far supplanted my usual stockman array for now with no end in sight.
The first stag version I got was thin and very pocketable, bottom pic, but felt thin in hand and I was also Leary of carrying such a gorgeous specimen(as I usually am with GEC offerings). So I picked up a cull version with what is extra thick stag to drop in my pocket and give it a try.
Wow! The swell on the stag feels amazing when put to use, slightly less pocketable but rides fine in my watch pocket just like similarly sized stockman.... and still a gorgeous specimen.

I might have to order a cougar claw for backup, though I doubt it feels as good as this stag model with its fixed blade like palm swell......
8CBA0E2D-75AB-4BFC-87D4-9BD273492196.jpeg 970736A1-741C-44C9-97C3-9F11370AA15E.jpeg 87F72859-FA0E-4B4C-81C1-669F86DC7FA4.jpeg

... Everything functions perfectly. ...the thin sheepfoot hits the inside of my middle finger knuckle when gripping the handle with the clip blade open. So yeah, I intend to file the kick to drop that blade a little.

...anxious to start a patina.
View attachment 817251 View attachment 817252
I think this one could become a classic. A nice, medium sized knife: slim enough to carry well in a pocket, big enough to do some work, with a thin sheepfoot for small detailed tasks. I'm definitely glad I snagged one. :D :thumbsup:
r8shell, I like the Churchills so much I feel everyone should have one. I'm happy that you got one and are enjoying it! Now I'll be looking forward to pics as the patina develops.
Congrats r8shell, may your ebony Churchill serve you well.

First impressions: GEC is getting better at sharpening. A few strokes on the Sharpmaker to take off a tiny burr near the tip of the main blade, and it's ready to go to work. Of course I could polish the edge a bit, but I don't feel I need to. Everything functions perfectly. I think the only negative is that the spine of the thin sheepfoot hits the inside of my middle finger knuckle when gripping the handle with the clip blade open. So yeah, I intend to file the kick to drop that blade a little.

It's not quite the inky black, pore-less ebony I'd hoped for, but it's not bad. I like it, and am anxious to start a patina.
She is a beauty !!! So happy it finally arrived. I was out on a walk with mine

39206315831_7fb4d489c4_b.jpg

I agree the Churchill is an instant classic. My thicker stag version has so far supplanted my usual stockman array for now with no end in sight.
The first stag version I got was thin and very pocketable, bottom pic, but felt thin in hand and I was also Leary of carrying such a gorgeous specimen(as I usually am with GEC offerings). So I picked up a cull version with what is extra thick stag to drop in my pocket and give it a try.
Wow! The swell on the stag feels amazing when put to use, slightly less pocketable but rides fine in my watch pocket just like similarly sized stockman.... and still a gorgeous specimen.

I might have to order a cougar claw for backup, though I doubt it feels as good as this stag model with its fixed blade like palm swell......
View attachment 817314 View attachment 817316 View attachment 817317
Nice! The thin stag version you have is gorgeous, but I can imaging the fat stag feels great in hand. I don't have many stag handled knives, but I think I like it medium. :) I'm also tempted by the cougar claw, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

What I would love to see on an equal end like this, is smooth bone, with the bone thick and domed like on this old Queen:
Queen City .jpg
r8shell, I like the Churchills so much I feel everyone should have one. I'm happy that you got one and are enjoying it! Now I'll be looking forward to pics as the patina develops.
Congrats r8shell, may your ebony Churchill serve you well.
Thank you! I really like it. I had to take a few more pictures while it's new looking, because tomorrow I'll be cutting up some fruit.
#35 Churchill 5_001.jpg

Josh, the Cougar Claw does not have the swell you like with your cull stag.

Dylan, you are spot on. When these are gone, there will be lots of regrets. I don’t see it as a knife that will make a reappearance anytime soon. I normally only buy single blade knives. In fact, I just added this Churchill to my 78 order on a whim thinking I would probably return it after checking it out. But, needless to say, it’s not going anywhere but my pocket! The handle options were sort of limited, but I believe that each was perfect in its own way, as was the distribution between Tidioutes and Northfields. To me, the Cougar Claw in the Tidioute was the best, but I can full appreciate the others as well. Enjoy!

R8shell that Queen is definitely a looker!

Leslie, I realize I will not find any other Churchill that feels as good as this one in my hand... that being said the thin stag ( no thicker than the cougar claw) felt good enough that I bought a second to pocket and use. Soooo, one more won't... will it? Ha

It is a pattern that continues to surprise me, the snap is getting very loud now the more I use it:thumbsup:

Actually, I think GEC offered good scale options despite what some people initially felt. I mean you have wood in the form of Ebony which is always attractive and wears so well ( Zebra would've been nice but nobody seems to use it now) Very decent jigged bone in the Cougar Claw which is what I have, a wonderful Old School Cell type in the acrylic Hummingbird, Smooth Bone (Appaloosa would suit well) and then there's Stag and Stag, always something there to suit one's taste. Talking of fat Stag, it may look a touch odd but on a single-spring knife it can actually be really ergonomic in the hand, the swell filling the palm ensuring excellent grip. I have this CASE Mini Copperlock in some really horrible looking Stag, nearly smooth like bone with this massive 'hump' in the middle- think hideous snake that's swallowed some poor thing whole:D:eek: However, it makes for super handling and is far better than my other Mini Copperlocks which have thin skimpy bone slabs, not good to work with.:(

I'd be keen to get a Stag 'worker' too if the right one presented itself, nothing does ageing like Stag:thumbsup:

Here's my Cougar on a very nice Bison leather pouch that Bob Big Biscuit gave to me shortly before he died, ever renewed homage Bob!:cool:

sBe3PIF.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 817314 View attachment 817316 View attachment 817317
Love those thick stags. I always pick those.

Thank you for the great pictures and write up. I ordered one last night after reading your post before they were all gone. The #35 ebony was my very first GEC when I purchased it Oct. 2016. But that one was Charlie's Harness Jack ;) I have it pictured in my avatar to the left <- It is one of my most used and carried knives for sure. So the #35 pattern will always hold a special place. What was I thinking trying to skip this run, lol.
Without getting off track to much I ended up with way to many GEC's in just 1 year of collecting(26). I am still showing some restraint but I knew like many others, I would regret skipping this run. So I will post up some pics when it arrives next week. Thanks to everyone else as well for the pictures and write ups along the way to keep me going.

I've had this one in my pocket every day since the middle of November. If I carry another knife, it's in addition to this one...not instead of it. I love the combination of clip and sheepfoot blades, and use both all the time.

Also, this is my first pocket knife with stag handles. Being that it's a 'Cull Stag' (thanks, Mike!), I had it designated from the start to be a user, and to enjoy the patina and wear. I like the subtle changes in the color and topographic peaks from handling and pocket abrasion that it seems to be gathering.

Lately it rides in my back pocket, mostly unnoticed due to the slimness of the single spring frame and not-too-thick stag handles. My watch pocket now free for any other additional knife that comes to mind.

7KT0WWu.jpg

rS7eoO8.jpg

It's great to see all this enthusiasm over the Churchill and it's especially great to see that a lot of folks are giving their Churchills plenty of pocket time.

When the #35 forum Drover came to life it was obvious that GEC would use that frame again and I really wanted them to make a Cattle Knife on the #35 frame. I never even thought of a single spring with Clip and Sheepsfoot blades but I sure am glad GEC thought of it.

I still think a #35 Cattle Knife would be great but I don't long for one anymore like I used to. I might buy one if they did make them but it wouldn't knock my Churchill out of my pocket.

Ha! I made it almost 24 hours before tinkering with it! :p
The sheepfoot blade wasn't terribly high, but as I said, it hit at just the wrong spot on the inside of my knuckle, so I took a needle file to the kick. When closed, the backspring now sits 1/10th of a millimeter lower- I can feel it with my nail if I'm feeling for it, but I've had knives that came worse than that from the manufacturer, and it's so much more comfortable now in hand. It's too dark for pictures now, but here's one I took in progress:
20171222_170105_resized.jpg

Here's a tip: I put a piece of oil soaked tissue in the well near the joint, pulling it out each time I closed the blade to check the height, then replacing it with a fresh one. That's to keep any metal dust from getting into the works. ;)

Back