GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

Did you use the 86 much ? Be curious to know if hand oils darkens it like that...

Truth be told, I have not used my Bloodwood 86 much outside of occasional toodle-around-the-house carry and some very light cutting tasks. I went and dug up a pic of the knife from right after I acquired it and it was considerably lighter than it is now. Most Bloodwood examples that I have seen after it has aged and such have made for some rather handsome knives.

yg07jX5.jpg

I don't usually complain about GEC bone, but I was hoping for a deeper orange brown, not the pinkish brown and shallow jigging on the pile side. Not up to the quality of the jigged bone on recent releases.

TaVLfCq.jpg

4ftEj9i.jpg

Inconsistent dyeing is one of my biggest peeves with GEC - they don't seem to have that dialed in quite yet.

That said, I haven't seen a single jigged bone #38 from this run that I haven't liked - the bone is very reminiscent of the old bone you can find on a lot of vintage Sheffield folders. I'm bummed that you feel that you got a bit of a lemon but I still think it looks quite nice and should you decide to carry and use it, the colors will mellow and meld - it will age quite gracefully, I think.

I actually got lucky with a random drawing that I was not expecting, and my jigged bone 38 arrived in the mail today. I'll report back with pictures later today. Hopefully I got some nicely matched covers.

After careful evaluation have decided to rate the main on the new 38s a 6 (no halfstop). The tapered split liner is minutely proud on both of my new 38s with the blades closed, with the main open it can't be felt. Shield / shield on the orange jigged bone is not my favorite. Black camel bone has the best fit / finish, zero proud split, a much longer clip main blade and a 5 pull. Lick Creek versions don't have a halfstop on the secondary, the others have halfstops on both secondaries with a nice 4 pull, plenty for a small blade. Lick Creeks have steel liners, an improvement over brass IMO, and the secondary spey is thin and sharp, as it should be. Hope you enjoy the pics!

GEC38collection-1.jpg

GEC38collection-2.jpg

GEC38collection-3.jpg

Can always rely on The Chief to have a definitive line-up of a great pattern :cool::thumbsup:

That Black Camel's a Rare Bird and a fine one too, likewise the nude Lick Creek. Bone on the English Whittler looks extremely well done, I was against the shield at first but now I think it looks just inoffensive ;)

Regards, Will

I don't usually complain about GEC bone, but I was hoping for a deeper orange brown, not the pinkish brown and shallow jigging on the pile side. Not up to the quality of the jigged bone on recent releases.

TaVLfCq.jpg

4ftEj9i.jpg
Sorry it didnt turn out how you were expecting. I hope you hang on to it, as it might grow on you. If not, I know @bigfish64 is looking for one of these. I'm sure he would be glad to take this one off your hands if you aren't happy with it.

Sorry it didnt turn out how you were expecting. I hope you hang on to it, as it might grow on you. If not, I know @bigfish64 is looking for one of these. I'm sure he would be glad to take this one off your hands if you aren't happy with it.

I'll keep that in mind if I can get lucky and pick up one with darker and deeper bone!

Received my Jigged Bone version today . I have received a lot of Well Made product from GEC , and this gets added to that list .
F&F , Centering , Smooth Opening , Color Match & Jigging Side to Side are all as desired . No Blades are touching the liners or other blade . Can open the Small Blades without them touching the Main blade , but you have to do it carefully . The Only Gap is where the tapered spacer ends .

Harry

I think the beaver looks good and will be the most desirable, due to the lower numbers and difficulty to acquire. But I personally think the jigged bone with the blank shield is incredibly classy looking and will stand up as a top knife of the last a couple years. I'm glad they made so many, so a lot of people will get to experience them.

Nice, always remember to make one more cut and not to pry with the beautiful tip of that wharncliff blade.;)
Yqj81dy.jpg
Thanks for the “tip”. I did catch myself doing that a couple times so I really do appreciate it. This is new endeavor for me. It’s nice to cut more than food and packages and an awesome knife to start off with.

Back