GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

The English Whittler was a pattern that I was content, at first, to let pass me by after failing to secure any. I had no experience with the #38 pattern so what I didn't know couldn't hurt me, right? That said, the more I pondered, the more I saw the discussions and the pictures - the more I began to realize that I would very much regret letting this one go.

I paid a bit more for these than I would typically allow myself but with dealers and their wildly varied pricing, the waters have become pretty muddy. I bit the bullet and scooped the Bloodwood up off the Exchange and @Jiki was kind enough to make one of his in the Jigged Bone available to me at his cost (thank you again, my friend). I've already commented on the marvel that is the Bloodwood - it truly is one of the finest knives that GEC has produced in quite a few months. The Jigged though, is the one that is going to occupy my pocketses and get the most use. Not only is it a stellar specimen (like its Bloodwood brother), but the bone feels amazing, the rat tails bolsters hit that sweet spot for me, and the pattern in general just melts in the hand.

I may be no whittler but these knives have definitely captured my interest - I am very pleased that I was fortunate to get these before they became unobtainable.

The bone on mine is smooth, the jigging pronounced, and the color has a lot of depth despite it not being as rich a hue as some. Right now, I am picturing it evolving, mellowing with age and use and though it won't darken like my Sheffield-made antique pictured below, I still feel the kinship between the two.

gIMg8Bs.jpg

GBDGK3M.jpg

Pictured here with a piece of @Jiki's work.

56WBAlI.jpg

The English Whittler was a pattern that I was content, at first, to let pass me by after failing to secure any. I had no experience with the #38 pattern so what I didn't know couldn't hurt me, right? That said, the more I pondered, the more I saw the discussions and the pictures - the more I began to realize that I would very much regret letting this one go.

I paid a bit more for these than I would typically allow myself but with dealers and their wildly varied pricing, the waters have become pretty muddy. I bit the bullet and scooped the Bloodwood up off the Exchange and @Jiki was kind enough to make one of his in the Jigged Bone available to me at his cost (thank you again, my friend). I've already commented on the marvel that is the Bloodwood - it truly is one of the finest knives that GEC has produced in quite a few months. The Jigged though, is the one that is going to occupy my pocketses and get the most use. Not only is it a stellar specimen (like its Bloodwood brother), but the bone feels amazing, the rat tails bolsters hit that sweet spot for me, and the pattern in general just melts in the hand.

I may be no whittler but these knives have definitely captured my interest - I am very pleased that I was fortunate to get these before they became unobtainable.

The bone on mine is smooth, the jigging pronounced, and the color has a lot of depth despite it not being as rich a hue as some. Right now, I am picturing it evolving, mellowing with age and use and though it won't darken like my Sheffield-made antique pictured below, I still feel the kinship between the two.

gIMg8Bs.jpg

GBDGK3M.jpg

Pictured here with a piece of @Jiki's work.

56WBAlI.jpg
As always, great review and pictures. I am glad you decided against letting these pass you by. I'm not a whittler either, but this pattern just suits me. I am trying to track down a bloodwood to go with my jigged bone now. Your pair look fantastic. Cheers

Picked up another of the 38 Whittlers for carry and carving. This one has great color and an interesting defect in the bone on the pile side, a chunk that was either broke out during jigging or in the bone before jigging. Does not bother me at all as this happens with natural materials, the last pic shows a mint 100 plus year old Thomaston with the same defect. Love early morning sideways sunlight for taking pictures.

IMG_3470.jpeg IMG_3471.jpeg IMG_3473.jpeg IMG_2879.jpeg

Great ones posted all:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Fabulous contemporary jiggin’ and colours both on the bones and bloodwoods:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm partial to the darker, deeper bone samples on this run, but it was very interesting to see GEC do the lighter color dyes. They look similar to the way that Case dyes some of their jigged bone. I don't think I've ever seen GEC dye bone like that.

This one has pulls and action that are very similar to my bloodwood, 7 on the main, 5.5 to light 6 on the secondaries (the opening pull is a little different than the closing...) It's hard for me to pick a favorite, as I don't always like the nail nick in the swedge on Northfields, but the rattail bolsters and the bone are just so pleasing.

51143757710_2e2a562f11_b.jpg

You might be able to dye it to get them to match. I know there is a really good instruction post here on the forums from years back that I used before and it worked. Or if you’re a Batman fan you have a two face knife.

Do you just plop it in the dye? Or do you have to protect the metal in some way

Took a gamble on a store knife 38, cant figure out any other imperfections except the scales being unmatched. Oh well, knife still cuts.

View attachment 1554738View attachment 1554739View attachment 1554740
You might be able to dye it to get them to match. I know there is a really good instruction post here on the forums from years back that I used before and it worked. Or if you’re a Batman fan you have a two face knife.
Do you just plop it in the dye? Or do you have to protect the metal in some way

Follow this post. It’s the one I used

Follow this post. It’s the one I used

Just ordered some tintex in black. Figure might as we go totally different.

Back