GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

Probably would be easier to see if the knives were lined up in a row. I had one a long time ago that had the nail nick closer to the pivot and was a pain to try and open, the further from the pivot you have that mechanical advantage to lift the blade out, doesn't take much and it helps, but some of those with the large swedge I think they found they needed to put the nail nick where they did.

G2
I see what you are saying now. For whatever reason, my jigged bone 38 seems slightly easier to open than my bloodwood 38. I believe the English Whittler will be my knife of the year. Been a fine year for GEC.

Both are very nice folders for sure! If you could post an image of the two side by side and as much as possible straight down, to avoid angle perspective, it should show the center of the nail nicks being more one way than the other. If your jigged bone one opens easier it could just be the strength of the back spring difference.

I forget now which model it was that I had trouble opening, but I kept wishing that the nail nick was past the center of the handle ;)
G2

Probably would be easier to see if the knives were lined up in a row. I had one a long time ago that had the nail nick closer to the pivot and was a pain to try and open, the further from the pivot you have that mechanical advantage to lift the blade out, doesn't take much and it helps, but some of those with the large swedge I think they found they needed to put the nail nick where they did.

G2
Here’s a shot in a row if it helps. 3B495F3B-3039-4EF0-96EB-AFE75BDF567D.jpeg

Thanks that’s handy I rotated and cropped so you can see where the nail nicks are in relationship to the middle pin

G2
I got what you meant. I prefer when the nicks are further forward closer to the tip of the knife for leverage. On the muskrat style blades I think it looks cool how far forward they are sometimes.

I also like the swedge better on the tidioute where it doesn’t have the swedge stop like on many north fields but that’s just personal preference. I do like the bolsters better with the rat tail(?) I forget what that’s actually called.

Thanks again for the image and those are called threaded bolsters and some do refer to them as rat tail I think because the grooves were made using a rat tail file when done manually
G2

My guess is the nail nicks were all cut on the same jig. Northfield were then swedged and the nick looks different because it's lost over all length. But who am I. That's a guess, but it seems like you'd only make one jig for the nail nicks.

I feel like the Tidioute trim often has the nick a bit further out on the blade. Maybe a touch less elegant but a touch more user-friendly.

My guess is the nail nicks were all cut on the same jig. Northfield were then swedged and the nick looks different because it's lost over all length. But who am I. That's a guess, but it seems like you'd only make one jig for the nail nicks.
I’d have guessed the same thing. Perhaps the northfields needed to be placed further back towards the tang because the swedge removed so much material? And maybe after the finished those swedged knives they never reset the jig?

I the that works with the chronology of the knife production.

Thanks to the Rendezvous I was able to get an English Whittler after having had to sit out on all the drops. Definitely am going to need to find another though to be a user! 😂
5P5wTDm.jpg

Finished up a vertical sheath for mine to make it a bit easier to access, also sharpened her up and all three blades are very keen

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

In order for the knife to enter the sheath I had to only cover part of the main blade but that left a lot exposed so I made the belt loop go a little higher and it worked out nicely

G2

Last edited:
Thanks, the contours of the knife works great and it snaps into the sheath securely
G2

Back