GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

View attachment 1546088 View attachment 1546090 View attachment 1546091 View attachment 1546092 GEC did a 5 star performance on the 38 Whittlers..... The bolsters and jigging will get blood flowing through your clogged arteries.....
How do you like it compared to the bloodwood? I had a bloodwood, and I really liked the wood itself, but I didn’t fall in love with it. Found someone who missed and really wanted it knowing I could get a bone. That’s on its way, and until then I was curious what your thoughts are.

I keep seeing that some folks have decided to sand down the proud splitback...how exactly do y’all go about doing that? Like 1000 grit or higher sandpaper? I’ve also noticed some mentioning going the wet sanding route...

I keep seeing that some folks have decided to sand down the proud splitback...how exactly do y’all go about doing that? Like 1000 grit or higher sandpaper? I’ve also noticed some mentioning going the wet sanding route...

You'd be at it a very long time with 1000 grit before anything noticable happened to that wedge. I'd do 220 or 320 to remove the material, 400 to bring back to satin, and 600 to finish. I find I get the same finish as GEC on backspring with 600 paper. I wouldn't do 1000, it will look different.

You'd be at it a very long time with 1000 grit before anything noticable happened to that wedge. I'd do 220 or 320 to remove the material, 400 to bring back to satin, and 600 to finish. I find I get the same finish as GEC on backspring with 600 paper. I wouldn't do 1000, it will look different.

Thanks for the clarification!

I’m assuming it’s a precision kind of deal since you don’t want to remove any material aside from the spring...hitting one of the covers would suck kinda hard...

Thanks for the clarification!

I’m assuming it’s a precision kind of deal since you don’t want to remove any material aside from the spring...hitting one of the covers would suck kinda hard...

Getting covers back to decent looking shape sanding isnt the tough part, i feel like anytime I've touched metal on the knives I can never get it back to the original smoothness of the factory, always looks like its got a few scratches here and there, all the way up to 1000 grit or higher. Then again I'm a little bit of a dunce.

Back