GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

Fitting the jigged bone like that is Icing on a beautiful Cake!! It's truly Sheffield inspired!! English in more ways than in name!!
Lord Wharncliffe and Joseph Rodgers would be proud!!

I know you’re a fan of Case’s Seahorse Whittler, a pattern which I think does very well for what it is. I must say, however, that the extra care in making this #38 has made all the difference. This is what I wished the Case version had always been. The divergent spring design is just better for the pattern, in my humble opinion. (Not to mention more blade real estate!)

WD5M8iR.jpg

Getting a little wear on the springs and spacer with use is my theory.

I’m terrible at giving enough information... yeah- I saw what you’re getting at, and I think you might be right. My burr theory would imply that the spacer had been bent after it was lifted out by the two rising back springs, such that it would stay in place. I think your theory allows for repositioning as it wears, which is what is making me think it’s right.

A couple of beauties!
I think this illustrates how GEC can still improve on their jigging.
If they ever get that perfected, they will be the tops in the game, hands down.
Nobody can touch their F&F, not even the Bose colabs. They have almost everything down to perfection.
Thanks John, they are both incredible knives. I fully agree when GEC wants to put in some effort on jigging they are impossible to beat, especially at their price point. Pretty safe to say we've all been spoiled by them. Also Charlie, thanks for the history lesson, now I need to delve into the Sheffield rabbit hole and see some examples.

I know you’re a fan of Case’s Seahorse Whittler, a pattern which I think does very well for what it is. I must say, however, that the extra care in making this #38 has made all the difference. This is what I wished the Case version had always been. The divergent spring design is just better for the pattern, in my humble opinion. (Not to mention more blade real estate!)

WD5M8iR.jpg

I’m terrible at giving enough information... yeah- I saw what you’re getting at, and I think you might be right. My burr theory would imply that the spacer had been bent after it was lifted out by the two rising back springs, such that it would stay in place. I think your theory allows for repositioning as it wears, which is what is making me think it’s right.

I never liked those Case whittlers and it took me to just this moment to understand why that was the case, and yet I love the 38 EW so much. The blade orientation being canted so far forward on the Case just looks "wrong" to me, whereas the EW gets it right. It orients the blade correctly for how I normally hold this knife, and it ends up feeling natural in the hand as a result.

I never liked those Case whittlers and it took me to just this moment to understand why that was the case, and yet I love the 38 EW so much. The blade orientation being canted so far forward on the Case just looks "wrong" to me, whereas the EW gets it right. It orients the blade correctly for how I normally hold this knife, and it ends up feeling natural in the hand as a result.

Yeah, it's always felt better in a pairing cut grip. it also works great for chip carving...
But aside from that it's unnatural in a normal grip.

Did you notice that the secondaries do the same thing?

The Case seahorse wharny is way beefier too, not particularly well suited for actual whittling in my experience. I still like the couple I have though.

Yeah, that's more of an issue with the bevel, which requires the shoulders be drawn wayyyy back to compensate for a high angle flat grind. It took me a lot of effort to get mine where I wanted it. It cuts just fine, but you're right that it's unnecessarily beefy.

Yeah, it's always felt better in a pairing cut grip. it also works great for chip carving...
But aside from that it's unnatural in a normal grip.

Did you notice that the secondaries do the same thing?

Yeah, that's more of an issue with the bevel, which requires the shoulders be drawn wayyyy back to compensate for a high angle flat grind. It took me a lot of effort to get mine where I wanted it. It cuts just fine, but you're right that it's unnecessarily beefy.

Yessir, I did. I imagine on certain carving cuts that forward cant might help, but for how I whittle (when it's done at all), it isn't my preference.

I am not a fan of forward canted blades on my pocket knives so I am in complete agreement on this one.

I enjoy seeing what seems like quite the variation in color and jigging on these bone Whittlers.

View attachment 1547230

View attachment 1547231

These ones in the Jigged Bone are turning out to be really lovely knives. The jigging is similar to what they used on Charlie's Waynorth Lambfoot - which, in my opinion, is one of GEC's absolute best productions. Despite the shield still looking a bit odd on these, it is the version I am still hoping to be able to scoop up at some point.

Case made just a few of these in ATS34! For comparison.
If I remember, I got it because I was (am) a Life member of the Case Collectors Club!
They do have a stout blade - depends what you need it for!! For quickly hogging out material, for spoons and bowls, I still say it's very good for that job!!ATS34 Seahorse .jpg ATS34 Seahorse 1.jpg ATS34 Seahorse 2.jpg ATS34 Seahorse tang.jpg
A Wharncliffe Whittler by any other name!!

I am not a fan of forward canted blades on my pocket knives so I am in complete agreement on this one.
These ones in the Jigged Bone are turning out to be really lovely knives. The jigging is similar to what they used on Charlie's Waynorth Lambfoot - which, in my opinion, is one of GEC's absolute best productions. Despite the shield still looking a bit odd on these, it is the version I am still hoping to be able to scoop up at some point.
I , like you , believe that the Jigging on this 38 is one of the better jigging jobs by GEC and somewhat similar to the Waynorth Lambfoot . I am looking forward to mine getting here . I think it will pair well with these GECs that I have .

Harry

Gotta eat my words here @knifeswapper at least in terms of color. My scales are badly mismatched, with nice deep dark red on the mark side and anemic light brown-ish on the pile. I've see a few examples now of similar mismatched covers and some downright ugly-colored bone. If I keep mine, I'll have to dye the pile side.

Gotta eat my words here @knifeswapper at least in terms of color. My scales are badly mismatched, with nice deep dark red on the mark side and anemic light brown-ish on the pile. I've see a few examples now of similar mismatched covers and some downright ugly-colored bone. If I keep mine, I'll have to dye the pile side.

That stinks man, I’ve definitely been on the same page before with less than stellar cover examples and know the disappointment when you see all the awesome variations people are receiving online. Atleast it’s Friday right?

That stinks man, I’ve definitely been on the same page before with less than stellar cover examples and know the disappointment when you see all the awesome variations people are receiving online. Atleast it’s Friday right?

I do have that going for me. And I scored another one today, so hopefully that one will be better. Here's the top-down.

gec38%20-%201.jpeg

Back