GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

This is an astounding example, and I thought the colors on mine were good!

Thank you. I very much like the dark uniform color yours offers tho! In my mind thats what I was expecting when I popped the tube. My pile side is quite a bit lighter/smoother than the mark side. Albeit more evident in person.

Gonna make a lot of folks jealous with that one, the color is incredible!

Apologies in advance then to those people. Thanks! It's uniqueness is growing on me.

The Bloodwood made it. I have renamed it the "Sassenach" Whittler;)
LdWAvrJ.jpg

Well, the Bloodwood is a nice knife. Darn glad I snagged one! I’d rate the fit and finish a 9/10. Shield inlet not perfect but everything else is superb. And the bloodwood itself has a nice variation of straight grain and chatoyance. It’s quite hypnotic to turn this way and that and admire.

The jigged bone is a little disappointing though. The shield shape works better than I thought it would, BUT... secondary springs are a hair recessed when open. Coloring is a bit patchy, is overall very light, and a lot of white showing through. (It actually looks better in photos than IRL.) I was hoping for a nice, deep color, or at least an even color. Definitely not the best covers I’ve ever seen on a GEC to be honest. If I keep it I may have to do some dyeing! I opened it last night and it was instant loathing. But looking at it in the morning, it’s not as bad as I first thought. Still not what I was hoping for though. It’s the kind of halfhearted coloration I expect from Case, where a beautiful deep red stock photo means a real-life knife that’s a mottled pink.

blKIfdp.jpg

iG9lOtj.jpg

qmFk1PF.jpg

Having never handled a whittler pattern until I received my jig bone 38 I did not know if I would like the pattern or not. Well I am converted! It is the perfect pattern for my everyday use. Nice variety of blades in probably the most comfortable package in hand. I am thrilled with this thing!
Zd6io8J.jpg

These are going to look incredible after a few years of use. I would highly recommend anyone that is on the fence to pick one of these up. Noticed quite a few going on the exchange for reasonable prices FYI

The jigged bone is a little disappointing though. Coloring is a bit patchy, is overall very light, and a lot of white showing through.

I think I got your jigged knife’s twin. My first reaction after unwrapping it was WTH! :eek: I should have gone with the bloodwood. I’m sure it will serve its purpose just fine.

I got no complaints.
DgcC3Kx.jpg
Both knives plus your carving look fantastic. I need one of those gnome/elves for a desk ornament. Those two 38s you have there are never going to go out of style and already look like they came from a simpler time. You know, before narwhals became endangered. I know you are loving these new 38s. How could you not?

I managed to get one of the bloodwood but not a jigged bone and I was a little bummed initially because I’m greedy and have a knife problem but after seeing some photos of the jigged bone I’m ok with it and glad one didn’t come to me. I think the bloodwood looks great and the NF jigging and color are just not for me. Appreciate the choice from Mr Howard and crew. Sorry no photo, away from the knife chest.

I am still hoping to land a jigged bone version - hopefully before they become completely unobtainable. However, I was able to acquire one in Bloodwood and I have to say, this is a superb knife and I am very happy that I did not give up on this run.

Easily one of GEC's finest in recent months, if not the last year. It is the first 38 I have experienced and I am kind of beating myself up a bit for not trying this pattern out sooner - same with the 48... That Dogleg frame sits in the hand so nicely, regardless of how it is oriented. The build quality of this whittler is top notch and even though I can kind of catch a nail on the wedge spring, I trust what Jiki Jiki had to say about it and I will expect it to become even less of an issue than it is - which it really isn't.

A knife of tremendous quality and I hope that whatever bone I hope to be fortunate to scoop up will match, if not exceed, it.

QwxoQtB.jpg

Paired with the only other knife I have in Bloodwood - the 86 is noticeably darker.

JxsD4kK.jpg

Pàdruig Pàdruig give it time and dollars to donuts that bloodwood on the 38 will match the 86.

like when @Travman said these new bloodwoods were too orangy... freshly cut bloodwood, or most exotics, look very different a week later and still more so a year later.

Purple Heart, for example, starts out gray when cut but turns purple as it sits about and oxidizes.

I am still hoping to land a jigged bone version - hopefully before they become completely unobtainable. However, I was able to acquire one in Bloodwood and I have to say, this is a superb knife and I am very happy that I did not give up on this run.

Easily one of GEC's finest in recent months, if not the last year. It is the first 38 I have experienced and I am kind of beating myself up a bit for not trying this pattern out sooner - same with the 48... That Dogleg frame sits in the hand so nicely, regardless of how it is oriented. The build quality of this whittler is top notch and even though I can kind of catch a nail on the wedge spring, I trust what Jiki Jiki had to say about it and I will expect it to become even less of an issue than it is - which it really isn't.

A knife of tremendous quality and I hope that whatever bone I hope to be fortunate to scoop up will match, if not exceed, it.

QwxoQtB.jpg

Paired with the only other knife I have in Bloodwood - the 86 is noticeably darker.

JxsD4kK.jpg
Did you use the 86 much ? Be curious to know if hand oils darkens it like that...

QwxoQtB.jpg

JxsD4kK.jpg

Dylan, good eye. My Bloodwood #86 seems to be similarly darker than my #38 as well. Of course, I have to confess that that "slight lightness" translates to a bit better chatoyance in good light on my EW example. I have two of the EWs in Bloodwood now and there is little variation between the two, it definitely looks like they really dialed in that first #38 run. I had passed on the jigged bone 38s, but admit that there's a slight tug whenever I see a particularly good picture of one. Hopefully it'll pass! :D

I don't usually complain about GEC bone, but I was hoping for a deeper orange brown, not the pinkish brown and shallow jigging on the pile side. Not up to the quality of the jigged bone on recent releases.

TaVLfCq.jpg

4ftEj9i.jpg
I'm with you 100%. That just looks gross to me. Oh well, on to the next pattern I suppose.

Back