GEC #46 Whaler

Squidman24

Gold Member
Just saw these go on early reserve at CK. Looks like they went quick, figured there must be some folks excited about getting one! This run is going to be offered in "Muscle Bone" which is undyed raw cut bone and Desert Ironwood. Seems to be an interesting pattern that doesn't come around very often. I searched for a dedicated thread about this pattern but didn't find one so I figured I would start one to discuss this rare release.

I do not know anything about the historical background of the pattern, perhaps some of our more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Regardless, as with any new(to me) pattern that shows up on the horizon, I become intrigued and so I generally want to experience it. I looked up pictures of "Muscle Bone" and it didn't do much for me so I dropped my name in for one in the Ironwood.

I can't wait!!! I really hope they put shields on the stag ( assuming there will be stag )

upload_2018-3-8_12-16-0.pngupload_2018-3-8_12-16-59.pngupload_2018-3-8_12-17-37.png
25675203_10159793153060613_2129712321_n.jpg

Another thought came to mind... My biological dad showed me, some time ago, a Case Elephant Toe that has some similarities to the Whaler. His buddy had used that knife for many years as a deer skinner and it certainly showed it. So it can be rather useful to some, and for more than just a collector's item.

Hoping for some Northfield SFOs. Odd that there are just Tidiute on the ER. Production schedule update is overdue.

I don't believe there will be any stag or SFO's on this run, only Tidioute versions in muscle bone and cocobolo.

From GEC: "#462218 Whaler Tidioute Only, Spear and Pen blades, due to ship in June"

Nice knives.
I like the Sunfish/Elephant Toenail/ Whaler/Pocket Axe/Rope Knife pattern. :)

Since the run sold out in less than a day, I wonder why they don't make them more often ... or make more of them.
Must be a "collector knife" thing, I guess.
Why make enough to fill the demand?

Last edited:
I am on standby for a muscle bone(whatever that is). I have wanted an elephant toe/whaler type, so hopefully I will score one. Looking at some older eBay sales, I saw a whaler go for over $600. Wow! That one was I think the highest but regardless, the secondary market is not for me on that pattern.

Back