GEC #56 Dogleg Jack Spear

Many of us have examples of the first #56 with a Clip main. Many were waiting for a Spear main. Some doubted they would come out but here's the first one. Glitter Gold but still...

pa7JG.png

Expected run:
Pattern: #56 Tidioute Spear / Pen Bare End
Variation: Glitter Gold (Qty 50)

Pattern: #56 Northfield Spear / Pen Bare End
Variation: Ebony Wood (Qty 50)
Variation: Bone? (Qty 50)
Variation: Burnt Stag (Qty 50)

That glitter gold is an eyesore but the spear blade addition is awesome.
I can see myself finally getting one once they release a few in stag or ebony.

I am going to wait for the ebony. Spear is nice but gold glitter is something... well, it makes knife look like cheesy and cliché pimp.

Godd news! Spear with a longpull be just the job. As for that Glitter...er, I view it as a Funkadelic sandpaper or skanky....WHY do they keep persisting with it? Got a bulk load in perhaps?

I think this pattern is going to look SO much better in ebony. It will really complete the vintage/traditional look.

I gotta say this pattern is an oddball for me in two respects:

1) I usually steer clear of doglegs, but I really like this one.
2) If given the choice between clip and spear blades (barring stockmen and trappers), I'll always go for spear blades, except on this model. I don't like the spear makes the profile look to "soft", but I think it looks mint with the clip.
3) What the heck, I'll throw in a #3. I love GEC's acrylics, but this one makes me throw up in my mout a little - reminds me of Christmas in the 70's.

Go figure.

I think GEC's fascination with Gold Glitter is like Spyderco's with Foliage Green, they either must have a really good market for it (they we don't know about), or they got a really good deal on it.

Setting that aside, I am really interested to see what the Northfield version looks like in this one. Still, having looked through the old knives posted on this board, I wonder why the pulls are on opposite sides of the knife. Why not swap out the locations of the blades and put the pulls on the same sides? I know squat about knife construction. So, I am probably missing something fairly obvious.

haha. The Bladeforums Snowball Effect of Favor does not seem to be working to the advantage of Glitter Gold. As an owner of one pattern with this handle material, I will dissent and say that it rules. Makes me smile every time. :D

That said, I've got an ebony Northfield on order for this pattern and I think it is going to look great with the bare head :thumbup::thumbup:

Love the dogleg w/ clip. Don't think I'll be getting any with the spear. I don't hate the glitter gold, I have a few. But since everyone else hates them, they will be the most sought after collectible in 20 years, just like the bottle openers. :)

Hey, I've heard they are made with real gold flakes... <rumor started>

I don't hate the glitter gold, I have a few. But since everyone else hates them, they will be the most sought after collectible in 20 years, just like the bottle openers. :)

Hey, I've heard they are made with real gold flakes... <rumor started>
Odd, I heard it was pixie dust. I'm still indifferent to it. On the one hand it looks like something from the Elvis jungle room collection. Flip side is it's odd & distinctive enough to have it's own flair. If disco comes back, I'd not want to be without one. :D

LOL -I am glad to agree with everyone about the glitter gold situation.

If you happen to be Goldfinger from 007, then it is completely understandable.:D:thumbup:

A barehead dogleg with a spear point is something I really like. I bet the Northfield versions with the long pull in bone and stag will be exceptionally nice.

A barehead dogleg with a spear point is something I really like. I bet the Northfield versions with the long pull in bone and stag will be exceptionally nice.

Agreed:thumbup: wonder if the Northfield version will have a more ornate bolster too?

What with this AND the new No.33 Pen-knife (that's really setting me off)arriving shortly, it looks like more lean times ahead on the spending money front:D

Peruna, I agree with you; I like the pulls on one side.

My biggest knife pet peeve, but at least their proclivity to do it this way has saved me a lot of money.
I do have a #73 Scout Jack with both on the same side, pen in front of spey, so I know they can do it.

LOL -I am glad to agree with everyone about the glitter gold situation.

If you happen to be Goldfinger from 007, then it is completely understandable.:D:thumbup:

If I could rub that glitter off and find Honor Blackman underneath, I'd buy a bunch of 'em! ;) :p

Back