GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Nothing I want more than another run of 77’s.
First choice would be a cap lifter.
Second would be a single blade.

My spring green 77. The knife I’ll never let go!
ZWU9g5K.jpg

Even though my only 77 is a sawcut- that is what I’ll shoot for if I’m able to reserve.
Man I’m so excited for this run.

Let's see...Some sort of saw cut bone, a wood option and a micarta version....;)

All of my red sawcut pieces have come from Mike, it is one of my favorite cover materials. It wouldn't break my heart if he did red sawcut again but I also don't know how apt he is to do a repeat after the last run. I'd love a nice wood option, a blackwood or even walnut would be very nice.

I’m sure Mike will have some beautiful options for us. Maybe there will be some Tiger Maple Wood like he had for the last run of 85’s. Another sawcut option would be cool too. We have seen brown, red, and green sawcut on these 77 Barlows. The Amber sawcut shown on some TC Barlows a few years back would be killer.
joPhZ3i.jpg

Last edited:
I would be in for an exact repeat of the second run...all the blade options and as many of the handles as possible. These were truly some of the great ones, and I like the way the nickel silver liners and bolsters contrast while the patina develops. The African Blackwood is particularly stunning! And we haven’t had a Sheepfoot or Wharncliffe for a while.

Last edited:
Anything with a spear would be great! If the option isn’t to our liking, just re-scale it. Heck, I think acrylic would be kinda cool.
I think an elagent looking jack like a 77 Barlow with a long pull and machined swedge would look magnificent with the hummingbird acrylic from the Churchill a couple years ago. Or even tourtise shell.

I would be in for an exact repeat of the second run...all the blade options and as many of the handles as possible. These were truly some of the great ones, and I like the way the nickel silver liners and bolsters contrast while the patina develops. The African Blackwood is particularly stunning! And we haven’t had a Sheepfoot or Wharncliffe for a while.
Also come to think of it, if GEC would do one of the Lambfoot blades too, that would be great!

I think an elagent looking jack like a 77 Barlow with a long pull and machined swedge would look magnificent with the hummingbird acrylic from the Churchill a couple years ago. Or even tourtise shell.

I understand that one must try unusual combinations to come up with something unseen and I would very possibly welcome acrylic scales on my 6th NF barlow. But since I own none I would very much like my (hopefully) first to be a classic specimen. But then I would also prefer clip point over spear, so I won't be getting my grail knife anyway. Let's just see what it's going to be. I am sure many a knifelover will like it.

I think I might know someone who would be down for that tortoiseshell idea. @waverave ???

Back