1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Careful what you wish for!

Let me introduce you to Mrs. Goldie Barlow!
    Now she's here, now she's gone (bananas).
    She's a beaut!
    [​IMG]

(I know it's a shabby jobb, but best I could do in little time on tiny phone screen with app I've never used before.)

Jak3, waverave, Dschal and 6 others like this.
  2. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Just got this one off the "Exchange" and I feel lucky to have done so. My favorite. The design, weight, shape, and overall feel - perfect. Sorry for the poor photography - the knife deserves better.
    IMG_1184.JPG

3. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    F47C3883-B87A-4266-996E-E11B3F507707.jpeg

Good luck with this run everyone! It is going to be nigh impossible to get one regardless of how Mike handles the release.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, my nearly 3 year old single clip could use a single spear companion. :cool:

[​IMG]

mrknife, mb>, Jolipapa and 19 others like this.
  5. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I saw a photo on the GEC web-sight. Northfield #77 bolsters SFO CollectorKnives.net I clicked onto a posting on CKs reserve. Make sure you get signed up and get ready. I am sure 4 different #77s will be made about 500+ pieces. They will be spoken for in 10 minutes !

Old Engineer likes this.
  6. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    Well it looks like I won’t get one again for the fourth try. By the time I get the notification it’s too late. But good luck to all

Leslie Tomville likes this.
  7. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Because I know this thread is likely going to head in a rather predictable direction, please note the following link and read some of that thread. It is currently locked right now but I am sure if one feels the need to further that flavor of discussion, they could start another one in the GBU.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-should-collector-knives-sell-gec-sfos.1548745/

Also, for those of you returning to this thread that may not be aware, patience should be exercised due to Mike's difficult family situation currently.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mikes-son.1670362/

8. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Well said my friend.

9. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I can dream right? :)
    NF_77.jpg

Matt_WY, Boxer .45, Spaten and 9 others like this.
  10. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    My Cocobolo is at the main post office 30 miles away. That #93 will be in my hand tomorrow. If I get a #77 on this run , cool. If not , I aint crying. I just counted 34 GEC knives on my bed. I am trying for the #93 antique autumn Real Rams foot knife next. I just spotted Bloodwood for the Northfield #29. It was supposed to be snakewood.

11. Terdl76

Terdl76 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    waverave likes this.
  12. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Thank you for an interesting and informative read. As someone attempting for first time to partake on the race, I am amazed how much dedication is needed to get just a slight chance to get the knife. Also very eye-opening to get a glimpse of what perils Mr. Latham is going through just to make it as right as possible for customers.

I cannot but think of H. D. Thoreau quote: "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

Me, reading all those endless threads on BF, constantly refreshing BF, Ck, gec and more...this is definitely going to be my most expensive knife by far. And to make things worse, I will not even get it despite paying that price. :)

But hey, I currently have 5 GECs including 2018 #15 TC ancient barlow. And there were times not too long ago when I drooled over GEC knives thinking I will never ever ever be able to get one. I have been blessed. Enough is as good as a feast.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    here’s to hoping

Leslie Tomville likes this.
  14. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Yep, not likely to jump on this run. Have my single spear and it is well loved. No room for another.
    879C3372-3373-4815-B67C-883779E6502F.jpeg

15. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    Where did GEC post photos about this? I’m seeing the buzz but not the source (other than CK)

16. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    GEC posted in the "What's Happening" section of their website.

[​IMG]

JohnDF and thepapercut like this.
  17. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Go time.
    :D

Hivoltage and mrknife like this.
  18. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    !!!!!

19. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Got it. Hopefully it stays got, and there weren’t too many ahead already

20. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Northfield, Single Spear blade, long matchstriker pull, cut swedge, satin finish, no shield, nickel silver long “NF” bolster and liners.

Variations: Red Sawcut Bone, Amber Sawcut Bone, African Blackwood, Natural Linen Micarta.

mrknife, JohnDF, tmd_87 and 2 others like this.